The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Power Surge's 73 GTS Resto / Coyote 5.0 project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power Surge's 73 GTS Resto / Coyote 5.0 project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2017 at 1:25PM
Thumbs Up Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2017 at 2:09PM
Originally posted by Power Surge Power Surge wrote:

are they supposed to have those black plugs in both of those holes? ll 3 of my 73 torinos, even my 37k mile car and the 74 montego I have, all i have the drivers side plug missin. It would make sense to have them both plugged but thought maybe there was a ford tech bulletin back then to remove one for some reason. Just curious
Past 1974 Ranchero GT Q code

Present 1973 Q code formal roof base model Torino with ralleye equpiment package and 4spd.
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2017 at 2:46PM
Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

are they supposed to have those black plugs in both of those holes? ll 3 of my 73 torinos, even my 37k mile car and the 74 montego I have, all i have the drivers side plug missin. It would make sense to have them both plugged but thought maybe there was a ford tech bulletin back then to remove one for some reason. Just curious

Are you talking about the body plug in the cowl?
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2017 at 2:47PM

yes, seems to me it would make sense to have them both plugged, but every one of these cars I have are missin the drivers plug.

Present 1973 Q code formal roof base model Torino with ralleye equpiment package and 4spd.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2017 at 3:32PM

yes, seems to me it would make sense to have them both plugged, but every one of these cars I have are missin the drivers plug.

I'll look at the Ranchero tomorrow.
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2017 at 4:10PM
my car didn't have them but someone asked about them??? i found 1 good one from the first 74 i parted (other 1 broke) i later acquired another Wink i've seen some cars with only 1 some with none some with both?????
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2017 at 9:05PM
pretty sure i made them go away

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2017 at 6:54AM

The Ranchero does not have one on the driver's side.
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2017 at 5:42AM

The Ranchero does not have one on the driver's side.

LOL    Doesn't surprise me, just seems odd as if they were removed on purpose for a reason. I know when I worked at dealerships they did things like that, usually as a result from  TSB. They'd tie wrap somethin up, shoot a bit of extra lube on things etc 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2017 at 2:15PM
Forgot to post this.... I took the Speed Demon carb and spacer adapter mess off, and decided to go with a stock 4300D carb (went this route before I made the decision to put the Coyote in the GTS). 

Lots of hate for the 4300D carb, and from what I've read, they are finicky and problematic. Supposedly there's only like 3 or 4 people in the country that really can make them work great. 

I was searching for a decent core on ebay, and actually came across a rebuilder selling two of them, properly stamped as being for my engine/trans combo. His asking price was very reasonable, so I decided to give it a try. I figured a used core wouldn't be much less than I paid for the rebuilt, so it was worth a gamble. 

I refinished the factory EGR spacer, and obtained some NOS upper and lower gaskets on ebay. Got an NOS motorcraft fuel filter as well. Got everything installed on there, fired it up, made some minor adjustments and went for a spin. 

Surprisingly, the car runs really well with this carb. No major issues that I can see. Throttle response is nice, and the car gets much much better gas mileage. I guess my gamble paid off this time. 

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2017 at 3:09PM
Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2017 at 1:37AM
I don't get the hate for the 4300. its a simple carb.
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2017 at 2:15AM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

I don't get the hate for the 4300. its a simple carb.

The regular 4300 isn't that bad, but the 4300D is a whole different story. They were only used on the Boss 351/351HO/351CJ/4V. They have issues with internal leaking/sealing, the one piece float swelling and sticking against the body, leaking accel pumps, and needing constant adjustments. It's funny because some guys love them and some guys hate them, there's no in between lol. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2017 at 3:50AM

Forgot to post this.... I took the Speed Demon carb and spacer adapter mess off, and decided to go with a stock 4300D carb (went this route before I made the decision to put the Coyote in the GTS). 

Lots of hate for the 4300D carb, and from what I've read, they are finicky and problematic. Supposedly there's only like 3 or 4 people in the country that really can make them work great. 

I was searching for a decent core on ebay, and actually came across a rebuilder selling two of them, properly stamped as being for my engine/trans combo. His asking price was very reasonable, so I decided to give it a try. I figured a used core wouldn't be much less than I paid for the rebuilt, so it was worth a gamble. 

I refinished the factory EGR spacer, and obtained some NOS upper and lower gaskets on ebay. Got an NOS motorcraft fuel filter as well. Got everything installed on there, fired it up, made some minor adjustments and went for a spin. 

Surprisingly, the car runs really well with this carb. No major issues that I can see. Throttle response is nice, and the car gets much much better gas mileage. I guess my gamble paid off this time. 

glad to hear some good about one of these carbs for a change. I'll eventually have to deal with them, tryin to learn all I can about them and how to tweak and trick them out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2017 at 3:43PM
Time for an update....man where do I start?? What started out as a "simple" sport cluster swap and dash restore, turned into a 3-4 month long fiasco, lol. 

Guess I'll start with the dash itself. Like most of these cars, the original dash pad was in bad shape at some point. The previous owner tried to restore (I use that term VERY lightly) it. I don't know what the hell he was thinking, but the end result turned out looking like what I can only describe as "oatmeal dash". That's right.... picture your dash pad covered in oatmeal, and then painted in the totally wrong color blue. He was proud of this BTW. Needless to say, I pulled the pad and top dash plate. I obtained a really nice tan dash pad from CaliforniaJohnny. I then refinished it with SEM interior black, and then refinished the top dash cover plate with satin black metal paint. I decided to go black instead of blue, because I am installing black seats, console, and eventually a black carpet, and I thought the top of the dash being black would help tie the black together with the rest of the blue interior. The rest of my dash exterior was in nice shape, so all that I had to do was refinish the silver trim, which I did with aluminum high heat paint, a q-tip, and a very steady hand. 

While everything was apart, I also upgraded my wipers to intermittent. I was lucky enough to find a wiper switch on ebay that was in like-new shape, for a great price. CalJohnny had the governor box for me. The first box he sent me, had a D8 part number on, and it did not work properly. Checking the part number in my Ford parts fiche, that box was listed for 78-79 T-bird/LTD. He had a second box with a D5 part number, which showed as the proper updated number for my car, so he sent me that one and that did the trick Thumbs Up.

I also worked on my radio situation. I still wasn't getting any decent function out of my radio. I originally swapped out the stock am/fm for an am/fm/8 track. It didn't really work too well. Poor reception and didn't play tapes well at all. So I had previously removed it and put in another am/fm that I had. That one didn't seem to be any better. And it seemed to have some volume and breaking up issues. I thought the breaking up might be the crappy speakers in the back, so I ordered up some nice JBLs from Crutchfield. That didn't make sound quality difference, just louder crappy sound, lol. Not being one to give up (I really like a stock looking radio), I did some more checking into it and found the end of the antenna cable that plugs into the radio was bad. I took the end off the cable in the Ranchero and swapped it over (requires soldering). That improved my reception but not my sound issues. I had another 8 track unit that had a damaged right side tuner assembly. I took both 8 track units apart, and swapped internal parts until I had one good functioning radio. Success! Not only does it hold stations well and sound well, but it also plays 8 tracks great too! 

Ok! On to the cluster! And let me tell you...it WAS a "cluster", if you catch my drift! lol

So the idea was to swap the sport cluster over from the Ranchero to the GTS. Having the entire Ranchero to take parts from, I figured it would be pretty simple. I pulled the cluster, the dash aux harness, and the engine side harness that all go along with the sport cluster option. I originally planned on keeping the ammeter, but after getting everything all hooked up, I couldn't get it to work. Honestly I think it DID work, but I may have damaged it when I was cleaning the face of the gauge because the cloth caught on the needle. Whatever the reason, it didn't work. So I decided to send it off to Rocketman to work his magic and convert it to a voltmeter. This only costs $40 and I had it back in less than 2 weeks. 

The original clock had also given up the ghost long ago. I did not like the idea of a dead gauge in there, but it was important to replace it with something that looked factory. I actually wanted to keep it a clock. I searched all the gauge vendors for something that would work. Not only did a new clock have to look correct, but it had to be adjustable without taking the dash apart as well. Most of the aftermarket clocks used an adjustment knob in the center on the outside of the gauge. This does not help, as the clock will be sitting behind the Torino's plastic cluster lense. Looking at VDO's available clocks, I found one that had a very proper looking face, and it used tiny push buttons to set. This setup is better, because I can stick a paperclip through the hole in the factory dash face where the original clock adjuster used to go through! With the proper replacement found, now it was time to make it all work. On the 72/73 sport cluster, all of the small gauges EXCEPT the clock, have a decorative surround over them that are separate inlays in the cluster. But on the clock, it's part of the clock face! So I removed the clock face from the stock clock, and very carefully dremeled the center out of it, only leaving the decorative ring on the outside. I then fit the new VDO clock into the cluster, which was a VERY close match to the original clock. Even the plug worked! I epoxied the clock housing into the cluster and then epoxied the decorative ring to the front of the clock. Aside from the tiny "vdo" letters at the bottom of the face, it pretty much looks like it came that way!

Something else I had noticed with the sport cluster was that the odometer had the common faded/missing numbers. Searching here on the forum, I found CalJohnny's great thread on using an odometer out of an early 80s Fox Mustang speedo which is a direct replacement! I obtained one on ebay, and it worked great! I also got some needle restoration paint from Bill at hi-po parts, and refinished all the needles, including the new clock needles to it all matched.

Another thing I wanted to do as upgrade all the dash lighting to LED. I ordered up a kit from Bill at hi-po parts. I also ordered from him, an LED replacement for the dome light. I actually ordered the wrong style, but I modded the ends to fit. I got a new replacement dome cover lense as well, since my was turning to plastic dust, lol. I also got new 194 bulb sockets to replace the originals, just for good measure. After I put the finished cluster in, the first time I turned the lights on, the dash lights were all lit up, and then blew the dash fuse after 2 minutes. This had me pretty puzzled so I did some testing and started disconnecting different things on the dash light circuit until I had no short. What I found, was that if the cluster was not in the car, no blown fuse (there are many other dash lights on this circuit besides the actual cluster). The only thing I could think of, was that the PC film on the sport cluster must be shorted somewhere. I did take this cluster from the Ranchero, so I really had no idea if there was an existing issue. Well, I figured my only option now was to completely do away with the old PC film and hard wire the cluster. So I ordered up some 194 bulb socket pigtails, and a Deutsch 12 pin connector kit. I rewired the entire cluster with actual wires. The 12 pin connector replaced the stock dash plug that snapped into the cluster itself. This was very tedious and took about 4 hours, but came out great. Excited, I put the newly wired cluster into the dash. Over the next few days, I drove around with the parking lights on, and the dash lights never went out. BUT.......  I started getting a burning electric smell. A REALLY strong smell. This was very concerning of course. I knew my wiring could not be the issue, nor could I see anything burned or melted. After a few days, the smell started to go away, but I was still really concerned, not knowing the source. I'll admit I was driving around with a fire extinguisher in the trunk. At that point, I decided to pull the cluster and get a closer look at everything. I started sniffing around the back of the cluster, and found the smell much stronger on the right side. I started unplugging stuff...... and viola. One of the illumination LEDs had burned up. As in, it had caught on fire. This is a 5 smd bulb, meaning it has 5 separate smd LEDs. It looked like two of them had shorted to each other. The other 3 still lit up. I contacted Bill at hi-po parts, and was truly baffled as he said he had never seen that happen before. He quickly sent me a replacement bulb Smile. The LED dash lighting truly is awesome. If you want to keep the stock greenish blue color, get the warm white bulbs, which simulate stock incandescent bulbs. Same thing for the dome light. One last interesting dash lighting point....  While having the GTS and Ranchero clusters out, I noticed the Ranchero had a light above the headlight switch to illuminate it, but the Torino did not! So of course I snagged it from the Ranchero and spliced it into the Torino harness. 

Whew! And through all this, I have been driving the car around for the past few months with no dash top and most of the time no cluster. Which was driving me nut. But it's finally all together! Pics of everything below!

The old blank odometer and the new fox body donor odometer...

Test fitting the new clock (not finished at this point)...

Intermittent wipers. This was the wrong box, needs to be a D5 box...

9 warm white SMD dome bulb, and gauge needle resto paint...

New dome lense...

Completely rewired dash cluster...

The shorted culprit!...

LED dash lighting success...

Oatmeal dash pad....seriously, WTF?

And finally, the finished product!!! 

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2017 at 4:24PM
Clapdamn that all came out nice!!!
wtf on that dash??? looks like they sprayed it with a drywall hopper gunLOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2017 at 4:26PM
lookin good, i might steal your clock mod. have a part number on that?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2017 at 4:33PM

lookin good, i might steal your clock mod. have a part number on that?

It's this clock, I also removed the glass and bezel off it. 

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2017 at 10:56PM
Oatmeal? Heck, he fixed that with Play-Doh!
Where did you get the dome light lens?
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2017 at 12:39AM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Oatmeal? Heck, he fixed that with Play-Doh!
Where did you get the dome light lens?

You can find them on eBay. Dorman made a replacement for years so there should be still plenty out there.
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic