The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Power Surge's 73 GTS Resto / Coyote 5.0 project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power Surge's 73 GTS Resto / Coyote 5.0 project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2017 at 10:48AM
Time for another major update....seems I am starting a trend with this car where simple restoration projects get out of control. LOL

This basically is the seat and interior resto portion. My car was an original bench seat car, and it was just way too uncomfortable for me when driving. Not to mention having to stop myself from sliding to the passenger's side when taking a turn, lol. 

I wanted some nice buckets. Factory original seats would have been nice, but shipping them was out of the question and finding a set locally wasn't going to happen. Plus, they'd still be 40+ year old seats. So I started searching around online for some modern seats that would fit the original look. New Mustang seats (05-up) have a retro 60s/70s look to them. They are also 6 way power, with lumbar adjustment as well. I found a pair of black front seats from a 2010 Mustang GT online, at a local salvage yard. The driver's side seat had the side air bag blown, however it's designed to blow the stitch seam, so there really isn't any permanent damage to the seat (aside from the lower side plastic trim breaking). I made a deal with the yard to come pick them up in person, and got both seats for $160! A good friend of mine who does seamstress work, stitched the blown seat cover just like new. I bought a new side cover from Ford, which cost half what I paid for the seats Cry. Next up was making them fit. Of course I had to make some custom brackets welded to the tracks to bolt up to the stock floor. Then I built a wiring harness to power them up, which also included power to the center console I was also adding....

With the new buckets, I wanted to run a factory center console. Luckily, when I bought the car, the guy also had a console he'd picked up at some point, that I gave him an extra $100 for. It was green, but not an issue since it would be refinished anyway. I had noticed that there was a big section cut out on the driver's side. Further investigation found that section had to be cut out if you had a floor shift car, to clear the shifter cage hump under the carpet. I later learned that you could actually order a column shift car also with a center console, and that console would not be cut. But they are pretty uncommon. So to fix this big gaping hole in the side of my console, I sectioned a piece of plastic from the lower rear trim of the bench seat, and then cut it to fit the opening. I plastic welded the section in, and shaped the bottom to match the other side. I used a piece of factory plastic, so that it would have matching textured grain. There is no way to blend the two pieces because of the grain, but it still looks a hundred times better than a huge gaping hole in the side of the console for no reason. Another modification to the stock console, was to add a power port and USB charging port. I found some nice marine ports with rubber covers. I mounted them right into the slanted part of the front of the console, just under the front of the lid. I then added the wiring for them into the stock wiring harness under the console for the light. After all the work was done, I then refinished the console with SEM interior paint. Since I did the dash top black with the factory blue lower, I did the console the same way. Black on top, and blue on the bottom. As mentioned in a previous update, I am doing a two-tone black and blue refinish on the interior, to be able to use the new black bucket seats and still have an original style look. I also restored the ash tray in the rear of the console. The last step was adding in the factory console mounts to the floor.....which is NOT at all fun in a car that has the carpet installed Angry.

I now had black front seats, but still had the original blue rear seats. I pulled them out, and refinished them with SEM Ford interior black. They came out awesome.....except for one issue that I realized at a later time. The new front seats were more of a matte/satin black, and the newly painted rear seats were 70% gloss. They did not match at all! Did some more SEM color research, and ordered up some SEM satin black. I re shot the seats with the satin black, and they match MUCH better now. Added a nice section of sound deadening material, as the original stuff was falling apart. 

With the rear seats out, I still wanted to refinish the rest of the rear interior parts. I pulled the rear side panels out, and refinished them in the proper SEM medium Ford blue. But that was not good enough....the window felts were trashed on them, so I had to replace the belt line trim. I got a really nice Repops beltline kit from Auto Krafters. It does front and back windows, inside and outside pieces. Once the panels were done, I installed new wire clips and used new hardware to reinstall them in the car. I also added some nice sound deadening material under the panels. 

And now for the biggest pain in the ass part of this part of the car....the package tray Wacko.  I found that Mac's/Ecklers does make replacement package trays for both formal and fastback cars. They aren't expensive....about $65. But the shipping was over $100. So I figured, what the hell....I can make one. The tray that was in my car, turned out to be a piece of wall paneling, covered in blue carpet. It was falling apart and looked like crap. I picked up a piece of 1/4" Masonite, and cut it to shape, using the tray I removed as a template. I really wanted to keep the original look, with the factory speaker holes in the tray. I spent an entire night, mapping out the speaker holes. Next night, drilled them all out and cleaned up the edges. I wanted to finish the tray off in black to match the seats. I knew Masonite was not easy to paint, so I looked up methods on line and gave it a try. Primed, then painted. Was not happy with the results, and even scuffed and primed, it didn't stick well at all. Stripped it all off. Next try...black vinyl covering. I figured I could spray tack the vinyl to the tray, and then use an exacto knife to cut the speaker holes in the vinyl. Again, was not happy with the results. Had to strip off all the tack glue. Last try....something I should have done from the start...Plasti-dip. Shot the tray with 7 coats of matte black plasti-dip. Came out nice. Only crappy part was there were a few spots on the masonite that were damaged slightly from the paint and glue stripping, and they show through the pasti-dip. But still looks better than anything else I tried. Honestly, if I had to do it again, I'd just buy the Mac's tray, lol. 

So finally after three months, the interior is back in the car. It's not done yet....next step is adding power front windows and refinishing the front door panels. Now for the pics... enjoy! 

Power/charging ports added to factory console. Top one is lighter plug style and bottom is dual USB for phone charging (they are reversed in this mock up pic)....

Here's a shot from the underside, with the wiring....

Here's the section of plastic I grafted in to fill the trans hump hole...

Restored console ash tray...

Freshly painted two tone console....

Rear seat painting next. This is the factory seat, cleaned with SEM Soap, which is the first step of the refinishing process. Look how clean it is!

Same part, refinished with SEM Ford interior black....

But, it was too glossy. Re-shot the rear seat parts with SEM Satin black....

Added sound deadening before reinstalling rear seat....

Package tray was next. Mapping out speakers holes. This took almost 3 hours!

Next night, drilled them out....

Finished part, before color....

And after 7 coats of black Plasti-dip spray....

Repops brand window beltline kit. Really nice!

Freshly refinished rear panel, with new beltline added....

Rear interior finally back in the car!

And the full shot with the front seats Big smile

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
T-Bird_79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Bird_79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2017 at 11:41AM
Looks really, really nice!Thumbs Up
Andris
1979 Ford Thunderbird
1977 Opel Commodore Coupe or euro personal luxury
1969 Vauxhall Viva or small American
1989 Opel Kadett GSi 16V known as Pontiac LeMans
1978 Moskvitch 412 or Soviet rally
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2017 at 1:10PM
Thumbs Uplooks good!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2017 at 1:25PM
Awesome work Sal.  Those Mustang seats look great!!  My original package tray is a little bit warped and I was considering making one too. After seeing you post, I think I will just order one from Mac's when I decide to replace it.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2017 at 1:38PM
That looks pretty clean. Keep the updates coming.
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2017 at 2:34PM
Little more update...

My tail light lenses had seen better days. The pass side was actually in nice shape, but the driver's side was pretty worn out and had spider cracking. Luckily, my parts crack dealer CaliforniaJohnny, came across a nice driver's side lense for me. Once it arrived, I gave both lenses a polish, and then repainted the silver trim stripe. Both lenses were 72 style, and I considered painting them 73 style, but decided not to for now. 

When I pulled the old lenses, I also found another surprise... my buckets and sockets were pretty trashed, which is common. I found a decent set of complete buckets on ebay and picked them up. Unfortunately, they weren't as nice as I hoped when they arrived. 

So it was time to overhaul them. The first step, was finding replacement sockets. Everyone said you couldn't replace them on 72-73 lights. Ok, I accept that challenge Wink. I looked online and couldn't really find anything without seeing them in person. I stopped by the local auto parts, and wouldn't you know, there are readily available sockets right on the shelf that will work (info below in pics). 

First I removed the stock sockets. They are peened over into the buckets, so you have to bend the lips back up to pull the sockets out. Once the sockets and harness was removed, I stripped what was left of the white paint inside with paint stripper. After that, I went over the inside of area with a wire brush, then a scotch brite pad, till the metal was nice and fresh. After that, I decided to paint the insides with high temp aluminum paint for nice reflectiveness. I even cured the paint properly in the oven for 2hrs, since the can said that would make the paint become a hard shell that was also weather resistant. 

Next, it was time to add in the new sockets. To keep the look of the stock harness, I used a pick to remove the plastic covering off the back of the sockets. Then I cut the wiring inside the plastic covering, and soldered to the new socket wiring, so that the new connections were hidden inside the plastic coverings. You'll notice one of the dual filament sockets has three wires. The extra black wire is the ground for the whole assembly. It goes to a spring ring inside the one socket. It's a pretty poor way to ground the assembly. I decided to take the ground wire and put it right to the bucket itself, using a ring terminal. I used the hole mount for the harness to bolt it to, and used a rubber P-clamp to retain the harness. 

Then it was time to mount the new sockets to the bucket. They have little tangs on them. The reverse light socket fits perfect in the bucket hole. The dual filament sockets are a bit tighter. You'll need to bent the tabs inward a bit for them to fit in the hole. The stock sockets had a thin gasket between them and the bucket. So to keep the new sockets sealed well, I used a small bead of silicone around the edge. Then slip into the bucket hole, and bend the tabs over from the inside. I used a flat end punch in my hand to push the tabs over. Make sure they are pushed down nice and tight, as the tabs are what also ground the sockets to the bucket. 

Once all that is done, you've got completed buckets. I finished them off with new lense gaskets from Detroit Muscle Technologies. 

Now for the pics! Big smile 

These are the needed sockets. Two of the 1156 sockets, and four of the 1157 sockets, to do both buckets...

Completed bucket, from the back. Looks just like stock! (well aside from the P-clamp)

Here's the front of the bucket. Nicely painted, new gasket, new sockets!

One of the lenses, after polish and restriping...

This was the lenses BEFORE...

And then AFTER refinishing....

One more extra goodie, courtesy of CalJohnny.... NOS driver's wiper arm! I needed this....mine had hardly any tension left!

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2017 at 4:56PM
just slingin' parts all around the 'hood WinkLOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic