Forum Description: Technical discussion for 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
URL: https://forum.grantorinosport.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=16389
Printed Date: 23-April-2024 at 6:18AM
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 71 Ranchero Radiator Help. Spewing everywhere
Posted By: Jordanbrown123
Subject: 71 Ranchero Radiator Help. Spewing everywhere
Date Posted: 13-July-2017 at 7:33PM
(1971 ford ranchero. Small block 302 with 4150 and stock internals. Had sat for 20 years when i got the thingConfused

So my ranchero radiator cap basically overflows like crazy and pukes half the coolant on the road after a few mins of running. This is before it even gets to operating temp (no temp gauge so idk what that is anyway). I attempted to bleed the system thinking it was air pockets causing this but when i start the thing up without the cap on fluid comes shooting out the hole every now and then once it gets up to temp.  If i run it long enough it will stop pouring out fluid, but only about half of the radiator (or less) is full after it cools down. Also i just replaced the thermostat so thats not the issue. 

-Im thinking the rad cap might be bad? but it looks brand new. 
-A blockage in the radiator? the car was sitting for 20 years with rad fluid in it. Might have some crusty stuff blocking it. 
-Possibly one of the head gaskets went? Causing excess pressure in the system. But theres no signs of water mixing with oil in the block or rad. 

Anyone know what the hell is going on?  the thing is getting on my nerves. 

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Replies:
Posted By: californiajohnny
Date Posted: 14-July-2017 at 3:09AM
if you're sure the thermostat isn't sticking and in correctly,  could be something blocking somewhere? but sounds like a head gasket... do you have antifreeze in it? if it's burning coolant it will steam/smoke bad out the exhaust  and if you smell close in the radiator you can smell a exhaust/fuel kinda smell! (well at least i can if ones bad) also check your plugs... if one or two are clean (like they were steam cleaned) that could be the cylinder that's leaking

-------------
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Date Posted: 14-July-2017 at 7:53AM
thanks for the reply. 
Forgot to mention it was doing this before i replaced the t-stat aswell. 
There was a little white smoke coming out the exhaust when i was bleeding the thing. But didnt look like water vapor, didnt dissipate quick. And only if i opened the throttle (which shot a 2 foot geyser of  coolant out the rad with the cap off. Clap idk if thats normal but it was pretty funny)

Ill pull the plugs on the thing today and take a look. Also do a compression test this weekend. 
Just smelled the rad and i cant tell if it smells like gas, it might a little bit maybe. Just smells like coolant. 

Also the rad cap on this radiator is on the drivers side on the output of the coolant (or the cold side?) so its coming out of the engine and going thru the rad and not getting back into the engine fast enough? I took the rad off and looked at the hoses and they dont seem restricted in anyway. 

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Posted By: dave302
Date Posted: 14-July-2017 at 11:27AM
The hot coolant goes from the engine into the top passenger side (inlet) of the radiator, and then it exits at the lower drivers side (outlet) of the radiator.
If you want to test if the radiator is slow to drain or clogged, take the radiator cap off of the radiator, remove both upper and lower radiator hoses from the radiator, and put a drain pan underneath the drivers side lower outlet of the radiator. Then you can pour a gallon of water into the top passenger side inlet of the radiator and look down into the opening where you removed the radiator cap from. The water should drain out of the lower drivers side outlet into the drain pan quickly, if the radiator is not slow to drain or clogged.
If the water takes a long time to drain out then the radiator might be clogged. If the water drains out quickly, then the problem might be some where else. Such as clogged coolant passages in the engine cylinder heads and/or clogged coolant passages and water jackets in the engine block.

Date Posted: 14-July-2017 at 11:54AM
So i pulled the radiator, and poured water down the rad. Came out pretty quickly, didnt seem abnormal. Washed it out with a hose and put it back in the car. So i conclude its not the rad itself. 

Also pulled all the plugs, 7 of which were a tan or brown colour and 1 was oil soaked and black... Leaky valve seals? Rings? Head gasket? ill comp test it. There was no evidence water was getting into the cylinders aswell.

How would i even begin to clean the coolant passages in the engine? if thats the issue. Complete tear down i assume? 

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Date Posted: 14-July-2017 at 12:14PM
There are several different engine coolant system cleaners available for sale. Some are for a mild cleaning and others are for a deep thorough cleaning. But you might have to remove the coolant system drain plugs to do it properly. There is one coolant system drain plug on the lower drivers side of the engine near the freeze plugs. And there is one coolant system drain plug on the lower passengers side of the engine near the freeze plugs.

But sometimes these drain plugs are rusted or corroded onto the block and they can be difficult to remove.
There is also a way to use the coolant system cleaners without removing the engine drain plugs.

If the engine coolant psssages are badly rusted and/or corroded, the coolant system cleaners might not help at all.

That one spark that is black and oily might be a fouled plug. You can try to replace it with a new or good used plug, and see if it becomes tan colored like the other plugs.

Posted By: Don V.
Date Posted: 14-July-2017 at 12:42PM
Is your lower radiator hose collapsing? Or put another way, did someone remove the spring in the hose?

Date Posted: 14-July-2017 at 12:50PM
Thanks, ill look into cleaning out the system. But im beginning to suspect its the radiator cap, Im not able to fill the rad to the cold line without it pouring out the cap. When i shut the car down theres loud gurgling sounds coming from the passenger side. Symptoms of low fluid and air in the system. Im going to buy a replacement 13psi cap and see if that works. Hope to jeebus thats the problem. 

As for the plug, ill replace it. The plugs were replaced 2 years ago, and then sat untill now. Ive recently noticed burning oil smoke out the tailpipe. Not enought to warrant me replacing the valve seals yet. 

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Date Posted: 14-July-2017 at 12:50PM
And no the lower hose is fine. I removed all the hoses and inspected them all. no issues. 

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Date Posted: 14-July-2017 at 1:26PM
if you happen to remove the thermostat again i'd recommend drilling a small 1/8" hole in the thin flat part of the thermostat itself to allow air pockets to dissipate! many thermostats now come that way but i do it on all my cars Wink good point on the hose spring! is yours still in the lower hose?  

-------------
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Date Posted: 14-July-2017 at 1:38PM
Yea the thermostat housing is actually leaking now.... Guess i need more rtv. Ill drill the hole aswell. And yea the spring is still in there, just a lil rusty. 

Should the water in the rad be dropping dramatically when i open the throttle with the cap off? and then come flying out lol...

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Date Posted: 14-July-2017 at 2:25PM
Didn't Ford have both CW and CCW water pumps during this time that were interchangeable? Don't remember the years but it was around this time. I remember seeing this on a Mustang. Any chance the former owner picked up the wrong pump somewhere?  

The hole in the thermostat is almost mandatory on a lot of GM's. The thermostat is the highest point in a lot of their coolant systems. I read years ago about how it frustrated owners and the hole was the solution.

Date Posted: 14-July-2017 at 2:52PM
i've been doing the hole thing for???30 years?? hmmm water pump rotation.... that's a possibility Shocked

-------------
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Date Posted: 14-July-2017 at 7:36PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

hmmm water pump rotation.... that's a possibility Shocked

Did some searching and direction is ambiguous. For the pump itself I could only find rotation direction an option for the '65 to '76 352, 360, 390, 427 and 428. I didn't find anywhere where the pump was available in CCW for 302, 400 or any 351 except for '69 when the 351W was CCW with the inlet on the passenger side. Appears the 69 pump can be adapted to other years but the pump needs the '69 timing cover also. Then it gets a bit confusing since it seems whatever was stated about what a year had someone would join in with their exception.

The consistent exception was the Merc Marine engines. Engine rotation could be changed for prop rotation when running multiple engines.

Anyway, if the Ranchero engine is original the pump should be running CW with the intake on the drivers side.

This was nice distraction though from the head gaskets I'm changing right now. Appears whoever else changed the gaskets recently thought torque specs and bolt order are suggestions along with the RTV called for on the intake gasket.

Don

Posted By: Big Bird
Date Posted: 15-July-2017 at 1:13AM
rotation is backward for a serpentine belt pump, and they will bolt up. However, they don't work well running backward. The geyser tells me that there is a flow obstruction, as I have run mine with the cap removed, even with a blown head gasket and got mild overflow and burping when air pushed thru. no geysers like Jordan describes.

-------------
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Date Posted: 15-July-2017 at 10:36AM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

rotation is backward for a serpentine belt pump, and they will bolt up. However, they don't work well running backward. The geyser tells me that there is a flow obstruction, as I have run mine with the cap removed, even with a blown head gasket and got mild overflow and burping when air pushed thru. no geysers like Jordan describes.

Agreed. But if the thermostat is closed how well would the pump have to work? With the only noise mentioned being gurgling the pressure doesn't suggest the cause being heat.

John, good catch on the hose. I'm usually working on engines that use the direction of heat flow, "hot to cold or hot to less hot," to assist coolant flow.

Don

Date Posted: 15-July-2017 at 2:24PM
The geyser was only when i revved the motor with the cap off, which was just the water pump shoving it out. otherwise it flows fine and overflows and kinda bubbles when at idle. It was low on coolant and has air in the system. Im getting a new cap and drilling a hole in the t stat. Then bleed it and hope its back to normal... I hope there isnt an obstruction in the motor somewhere. 

The water pump couldn't be reversed, Im 90 percent sure its the stock one on the motor.   

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Date Posted: 15-July-2017 at 2:26PM
Not the original motor btw. Not sure when it was replaced. But it is a windsor 302. 

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Date Posted: 15-July-2017 at 2:57PM
That's good information.
I mentioned your problem to someone that knows these motors and the first thing he had to say was make sure the water pump and crankshaft pulleys are the same size. The W and C had different sizes because the C was higher reving. Both should be 1 to 1 though.

He also asked about an engine swap. In 70 Ford went to a cross flow radiator and the pump inlet went from the passenger side to the drivers side. If your engine is pre 70 it may be plumbed wrong. He added the type of radiator used should match type for engine year unless there is an aftermarket radiator installed. Then if properly matched to the engine differences should be compensated for.

Also said was the spring on these engines should be in the lower hose. If the engine runs fine in town but overheats on the highway the spring is probably missing.

Date Posted: 15-July-2017 at 3:20PM
hmm i just had an off the wall thought...are all the smaller hoses connected correctly? on the windsor the heater hose comes out the top of the intake above the thermostat, the small hose barb on the thermostat housing goes to the upper small hose barb on the pump, the lower small hose barb on the pump goes to the other heater core tube. not sure exactly what it's purpose is but has something to do with circulation (the short 90* hose) just a thought since you said the engine's been changed, sometimes other people do stupid sh*t and makes you wonder WTF were they thinking!

-------------
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Date Posted: 15-July-2017 at 3:32PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

hmm i just had an off the wall thought...are all the smaller hoses connected correctly? on the windsor the heater hose comes out the top of the intake above the thermostat, the small hose barb on the thermostat housing goes to the upper small hose barb on the pump, the lower small hose barb on the pump goes to the other heater core tube. not sure exactly what it's purpose is but has something to do with circulation (the short 90* hose) just a thought since you said the engine's been changed, sometimes other people do stupid sh*t and makes you wonder WTF were they thinking!

The vacuum line syndrome.

Date Posted: 16-July-2017 at 1:55AM
any idea on engine's year/source? Putting a standard rotation water pump on a reverse rotation timing cover is also a problem. they bolt up, but misalign cooling passages.
even though you have water flowing thru the radiator, you may be partially obstructed. I've never made a geyser, revving the engine with the cap off. suction thru the radiator to feed the pump is usually enough to keep most of the water in the radiator. overflowing yes, geyser no.

-------------
Randy
1979 T-Bird

Posted By: Rockatansky
Date Posted: 16-July-2017 at 12:53PM
the short 90* hose is external bypass from the T-stat back to the water pump for circulation during warm-up. FWIW the Cleveland family engines have an internal by-pass built into the timing case are of the block

it's absolutely possible to mount a reverse rotation water pump on a std circulation engine. I'm not sure about the passages lining up or not but the big difference is where you can't see it, the blades of the impeller are curved / angled the opposite direction

with all the trouble you're having i don't see that removing the water pump for inspection and to verify that you don't have scale blockage is outrageous? take the pump to the parts house and compare the impeller to a fresh correct pump for that engine Wink

it wouldn't be the first time, and yeah the geyser is pretty crazy

the simplest explanation from way out here is that the pump is moving coolant into the radiator instead of pulling from it .... ?

-------------
72 GT Ute

Date Posted: 16-July-2017 at 1:26PM
Yea the hoses are hooked up right. The heater core is bypassed so the lower hose on the pump goes straight into the upper intake on the manifold.  Not sure if you can do it that way, but thats how i hooked it up. 

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Date Posted: 16-July-2017 at 1:34PM
Ill take a look into the water pump being incorrect, its a possiblitly. Im not sure what year the motor is, ill look into it. 
I dont think its moving coolant into the rad from the drivers side. Because it sucked into the lower hose when i revved it up a bit. and it does come out of the thermostat once it gets hot.

The thing is the car was driven as a daily driver 20+ years ago with no major issues with the cooling system. It was my uncles car when he was my age and he never had problems like this. Im beginning to think there was a lot of air in the water jackets and there is a bunch of scale and calcium built up in there somewhere. The rad has some in it. 

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Date Posted: 16-July-2017 at 1:38PM
This car is driving me crazy lol. No timing marks, Dirty carb, Rusty gas tank, and now this. My first "project car" btw. 

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Posted By: lynchster
Date Posted: 16-July-2017 at 2:48PM
Has anyone suggested a compression test?

-------------
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"

Date Posted: 16-July-2017 at 3:14PM
Theres no bubbles/exhaust coming from the radiator so i dont believe its a head gasket. ill do the comp test anyway tho. The overflowing only happens once the thermostat opens up. 

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Date Posted: 16-July-2017 at 4:03PM
i'm beginning to think you have a bunch of scale and crap in the engine and or the radiator too?
 if you have a good trustworthy radiator shop near you take the radiator and have it flow tested they can tell you how much its blocked and could knock out a lot of crap too

-------------
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Date Posted: 16-July-2017 at 5:58PM
Yea probably. But i talked to the previous owner and he said it has actualy always had problems with the cooling system. So its either scale or the wrong pump. Im going to replace the pump as precaution, providing its not too much cash. 

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Date Posted: 17-July-2017 at 7:26AM
No timing marks? Doesn't the 302 from this era have the pointer cast right into the timing cover? If so it suggests something has been changed and may not be right.

I agree with John. If the thermostat is opening and coolant is coming out the cap, coolant isn't getting through the radiator. The 2 options are the radiator flow is blocked or restricted or for some reason the pump is impeding coolant flow. The radiator is the most obvious suspect.

The engine may well have blockages but I don't think the engine is your problem unless there is a problem with a head or the block. Your description suggests this happens to fast for an overheating issue specially with the heater bypassed.

I was told to asked you about this. Does your car have AC? If it does it should have come with a flex fan and no shroud. The flex fan had issues with throwing blades and no shroud had it's own problems. It was common for people at the time to try their own remedies that were commonly failures. The wrong fan blades and too big or too small spacers were often used. I can't tell you anymore then this but if you have questions I can find out but I don't think this is your problem. Your issues again, happen too fast for this.

Forgot this, make sure your head gaskets aren't on backwards. You should be able to see this, square in the front, something else in the back, sorry forgot what. Apparently this is common. 

Date Posted: 17-July-2017 at 10:05AM
Yea maybe i cant see the timing marks well enough, It is pretty rusty. 

No AC. 

Im going to take off the rad and pump and see just what the hell is going on. 

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Date Posted: 17-July-2017 at 10:53AM
In order for the other members to figure out what year your engine is, you can look at the casting number on the intake manifold. And while it might be possible that ithe ntake manifold might have been changed on your engine at some time. This is a good way to find out a possible year for your engine.

There also might be a casting number for your engine block down near the starter motor or in the upper rear/back of the engine block near the cylinder head.

The casting number might say E7TE-8425-A or D1TE-8425-A or D3TE-8425-A or another number.

Date Posted: 17-July-2017 at 10:54AM
The yellow arrow in the picture below points to the casting number.

Date Posted: 17-July-2017 at 10:55AM
The casting number is in the picture below.

Date Posted: 17-July-2017 at 11:06AM
Thanks but ive actually got an aftermarket edelbrock intake. Ill look for a cast number on the block. 

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Date Posted: 17-July-2017 at 12:37PM
Pointer should bolt on. Pointer has to match the balancer. There are 10 o'clock and 11 o'clock pointers...
Mine is FUBAR and gets timed by ear.
Oh, some of the older ones are on the driver side...
Can't be consistent...

-------------
Randy
1979 T-Bird

Date Posted: 17-July-2017 at 12:38PM
So today i went and got a new rad cap, hoping this was the problem. I jacked the front end up and filled it up with coolant to the cold line. Started the car up and let it warm up with the cap off. No issues/bubbles/spraying out... untill the thermostat opened up. then all hell broke loose lol. Just started pouring out the rad. So i slapped on the new rad cap and within 1 min the cap opened up and it let the water out. About half of the radiator worth.... The water wasnt even very hot coming out. No steam or anything. 

Time to tear this thing apart i say.. New rad and water pump is on my to do list now. 

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Date Posted: 17-July-2017 at 1:35PM
Originally posted by Jordanbrown123 Jordanbrown123 wrote:

So today i went and got a new rad cap, hoping this was the problem. I jacked the front end up and filled it up with coolant to the cold line. Started the car up and let it warm up with the cap off. No issues/bubbles/spraying out... untill the thermostat opened up. then all hell broke loose lol. Just started pouring out the rad. So i slapped on the new rad cap and within 1 min the cap opened up and it let the water out. About half of the radiator worth.... The water wasnt even very hot coming out. No steam or anything. 

Time to tear this thing apart i say.. New rad and water pump is on my to do list now. 

Again, this suggests the radiator can't handle the flow created by the pump. Either the radiator has clogged tubes or it's flow rate is too low for the pump. Since you said there's a history of coolant problems I'd go with the problem being in the radiator. If you can get the casting numbers for the engine and heads this can be easily evaluated.

Do you know anyone with a radiator with a row or 2 more of tubes running through it that you can borrow? This may not identify blockage or flow being your problem but it may help to isolate the problem to the radiator or remove the radiator from the list of suspects. With the updated descriptions of your problems the potential for the off the wall possibilities seem less likely but doesn't eliminate them IMO.  

Date Posted: 17-July-2017 at 1:36PM
I cant for the life of me find the block stamping. Not with the motor in the car anyway... Is there any kind of visual differences between different 302 manufacturing years? 

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Date Posted: 17-July-2017 at 1:49PM
The only thing I know of is 68-75 had "Powered by Ford" stamped in to the valve covers. I'm not sure of the years except late 60's, Ford made some 289's that you can only tell weren't 302's by the VIN, build sheet or taking the engine apart. Possibly someone else knows the story behind this better than I do. 

Date Posted: 17-July-2017 at 2:12PM
The block casting number is right where tha starter bolts to the block at the transmission bellhousing. You will probably have to remove the starter to see it. The green arrow points to the casting number.

Date Posted: 17-July-2017 at 2:13PM

Date Posted: 17-July-2017 at 2:15PM
To find the casting numbers on the cylinder heads you might have to remove them. They are on the underside of the cylinder head, on the intake side in between the pushrod holes. The yellow arrows point to the casting numbers.

Date Posted: 17-July-2017 at 2:16PM
There is a picture below of the casting number.

Date Posted: 17-July-2017 at 3:11PM
Thanks for the info. 

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Date Posted: 17-July-2017 at 3:18PM
Your welcome

Date Posted: 22-July-2017 at 12:53PM
Been soaking the radiator in vinegar and drano trying to get stuff out. I think some did come out. But heres a video on what exactly is happening. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP54nqkE9Uc&ab_channel=BreenMachine" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP54nqkE9Uc&ab_channel=BreenMachine

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Date Posted: 23-July-2017 at 5:29AM
The location of your fan and shroud is wrong but your fan? You can see the outline of it running. Usually on a fan, the blade taper is in the direction of air flow. If your fan is typical then you are trying to push air back into the radiator which is backwards. Look at the top of the profile of your moving fan in your video. It should be pulling air through the radiator. It's possible I suppose that ford just turned the fan blades for CW and CCW pumps and you have just the CCW fan on a CW pump. 

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/200/259/259-16514.pdf" rel="nofollow - www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/200/259/259-16514.pdf

Your fan should also be much closer to you radiator. That's a spacer problem. My understanding is that without AC and with a shroud the fan should be completely inside the shroud.

I'd also ditch the vinegar. Drain the radiator and start boiling water. Use your biggest pots and refill a cold radiator.

Your flywheel and pump pulley's should be darn near the same size. It could be the side view optics, but I don't see that in the video. If your motor is physically incapable of accepting the pumps rate it usually results in cavitation. This would not be the typical scenario for cavitation but when high and low pressures are opposite of flow cavitation results.  

Date Posted: 23-July-2017 at 8:11AM
I see. The taper points towards the engine so its pulling air thru the radiator and over the motor. As for the fan it could be pushed forward a little more. But thats the least of my worries right now. 

Now that you mention it the pulley for the waterpump does look a little bigger than the inner pulley on the crank. But its hard to see. 
Id post a photo on here but im not sure how exactly. 

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Date Posted: 23-July-2017 at 9:44AM
the fan to shroud didn't look too bad, half of the blade pitch should be at the edge of the shroud ideally, the surging up is normal for the first time filling the system before the thermostat opens and all the air pockets are out... but that sudden geyser Shocked WTF??? ShockedShockedShocked

-------------
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Date Posted: 23-July-2017 at 9:52AM
Is that a high volume/high flow water pump that is installed on your engine? It might not make any difference, but it might help the other members solve your problem if they know about it. Some water pumps have a part number on them. If yours has a part number you can write it here.

Date Posted: 23-July-2017 at 9:53AM
To post a picture, you will have to first download the pictures to your phone or computer and put them into a folder such as "your pictures".

Next you will have to click the post reply button at the bottom left of this post. Do not use the "quick reply" window/option at the extreme bottom of the screen to post pictures. Because it does not have an insert image button.

Date Posted: 23-July-2017 at 9:53AM
Next, you will have to click the insert image button at the top of the post. The red circle below is the insert image button.

Date Posted: 23-July-2017 at 9:55AM
Next, you will have to click the browse button to go to the "your pictures" folder to select the picture that you want to download to this site. The browse button is located at the bottom middle of the picture below. The browse button is named Tallozas in the picture below.

Date Posted: 23-July-2017 at 9:57AM
When the picture loads up on the screen, such as in the bottom right side of the picture below, you will have to click the OK button on the bottom right side of the screen, to post the picture in this thread.
You can repeat this process several times for all of the pictures that you want to post in this thread. Then you will have to click the post reply button at the lower left side of the post to post the pictures.

Date Posted: 23-July-2017 at 1:15PM
Another odd thing, your radiator cap is on the suction side of the radiator, hose is at bottom and goes to water pump. Cant figure out your volcano issue. Water is going thru the radiator, but not back to the water pump. Serpentine belt fans are backward from v-belt fans, so using the wrong fan will push air back instead of pulling air thru the radiator.

-------------
Randy
1979 T-Bird

Date Posted: 23-July-2017 at 1:31PM
Thanks ill get the part number from the waterpump. Just taking it out today, 

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Date Posted: 24-July-2017 at 1:18AM
Jordan,

I understand that much of what I wrote has nothing to do with your immediate problems. It has more to do with your comment about the car history with cooling difficulties.

About the taper. Look at your video at 15 seconds. The see through blur of the of the running fan blades can be seen right at the top of the screen. The taper, getting smaller is towards the radiator. Typically the taper, a getting smaller profile is in the direction of air flow. I don't pretend to know a whole lot about these cars so what is typical for me may well mean nothing with your car but I would make sure.

I picked up George Reid's book on small block Ford's the other day and in it he writes about water pump casting numbers and states to be careful when using them. Apparently there are a fair number of companies the rebuild the pumps to specs that aren't consistent with the original to improve cooling. People do this to keep the original parts on the car while achieving the better specs of aftermarket options.

A last reminder, if your car has the plastic flex fan there should be no shroud per Ford, but some say it should anyway. I'm told Ford says no because the angle or pitch of the blades changes with the RPM's and the shroud screws with that. Your car has no air so as I understand it should have a shroud but if the fan came with the engine, who knows?

Date Posted: 24-July-2017 at 7:51AM
There we go. Here are some pictures. If ya see somthing wrong pls let me know thanks/; 

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Date Posted: 24-July-2017 at 10:07AM
Here are some pics of the water pump. Its a driver side inlet. I think its a clockwise pump but im not entirely sure. 

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Date Posted: 24-July-2017 at 10:08AM

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Date Posted: 24-July-2017 at 10:38AM
there should be a back cover on the water pump. Did you take it off? It's holes need to be the same shape and orientation as the water ports in your timing cover.
Your fan is the right direction for non-serpentine.
I took my radiator cap off and played with my car, and I can't duplicate the Volcano. It will "Burp" a little after the thermostat opens if I open the throttle and then let off hard, but not much.

-------------
Randy
1979 T-Bird

Date Posted: 24-July-2017 at 11:35AM
That appears to be a stock (non-high volume/non-high flow) water pump. They are used on 1970 through 1977 302's. They might have been used as late as 1982 on some engines. The inner water pump blades/vanes appear to be for a clockwise rotation, but I am not 100% sure about this.

The part number says that the water pump is from a 1977 ford truck such as an f-150, f-250 or an f-350. But as another member said it might have been replaced at some time in the past.

Date Posted: 24-July-2017 at 11:50AM
There is a picture below of the type of water pump inner blades/vanes that you have. They appear to be for a clockwise rotation. Maybe one of the other members will know if they are for sure.

Date Posted: 24-July-2017 at 12:18PM
Yea i removed the backing plate. The pump doesn't appear to have anything wrong with it assuming its cw. 

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Date Posted: 25-July-2017 at 9:34AM
There are  couple-three different plate water flow hole patterns, and the back plate has to match your timing cover.

-------------
Randy
1979 T-Bird

Date Posted: 25-July-2017 at 1:30PM
at first it looks like the typical thermostat opening heave until quite a bit too much blows out the hole

spew is a fair description

what happens with the cap on & tight?

-------------
72 GT Ute

Date Posted: 25-July-2017 at 4:41PM
Your water pump is a clockwise rotation water pump.

Date Posted: 25-July-2017 at 4:42PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

what happens with the cap on & tight?

He said that he went and got a new rad cap, hoping this was the problem. He jacked the front end up and filled it up with coolant to the cold line. He started the car up and let it warm up with the cap off. No issues/bubbles/spraying out... untill the thermostat opened up. then all hell broke loose. Just started pouring out the rad. So he slapped on the new rad cap and within 1 minute the cap opened up and it let the water out. About half of the radiator worth.... The water wasnt even very hot coming out. No steam or anything.

Date Posted: 25-July-2017 at 5:06PM
Yea the backing plate lines up properly. Nothing seems out of the ordinary. I hope all this is just a radiator blockage and not an engine blockage. 

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Date Posted: 26-July-2017 at 4:05AM
FWIW the Cold line only comes into play after the system has been purged. there may be an air pocket in there causing the excessive T-stat heave? after sitting for such a long while there may be scale blocking the head gasket passages helping to contain an abnormal air pocket. this reminds me of an old thread on the old Cleveland board, same story ... long storage and his was actually overheating but nothing he did from the outside made any difference T-stats water pumps radiator nothing helped until he tore into it to find scale blocking the head gasket passages

i found the conclusion too bad the pics died but what he's describing is that the holes in the block deck surface were blocked with sl*g that he dremel'd through http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/thread/1065402298" rel="nofollow - http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/thread/1065402298

-------------
72 GT Ute

Date Posted: 26-July-2017 at 4:06AM
s l a g sl*g ?

-------------
72 GT Ute

Date Posted: 31-July-2017 at 10:37AM
Going to remove the intake manifold too see if i can see a blockage somwhere. But before that, does anyone think that raising the rad caps psi from a 13 to 16 is a good idea? Maybe the system is just higher pressure than the stock 13? 

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Date Posted: 31-July-2017 at 11:07AM
If you use a 16 pound cap it will hold three additional (more) P.S.I. of pressure in your cooling system, than the 13 pound cap. It might be worth it to try. But it still might not stop the geyser that you are experiencing in your cooling system.

Date Posted: 31-July-2017 at 11:17AM
If you use a 16 pound cap it will also increase the cooling system pressure against the radiator cores and radiator tanks, the cooling system gaskets (such as head gaskets), the cooling system seals and the cooling system hoses. When compared to using the 13 pound cap.

Date Posted: 31-July-2017 at 11:54AM
thanks man, Ill give it a go 

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Date Posted: 31-July-2017 at 11:57AM
Your welcome

Date Posted: 12-August-2017 at 9:09AM
Haven't heard from you and your problem came up again earlier. Another suggestion was to check your vacuum advance vacuum. It runs off an amplifier and if it's not creating the proper advance, coolant cavitation can begin around the intake and flow when the thermostat opens. Usually a cold start problem but a problem that prevents getting to a properly warmed up engine. Easy to check with a vacuum gauge.

Date Posted: 20-August-2017 at 1:14PM
Alright, was on vacation for a while so i couldnt get back to you guys but heres the news.Finally got to stripping the motor down. And i found the issue... Nastiest blockage ever. Just rock solid. 
Took me forever to get it cleaned up nice. A little scared that the motor might have some spots like this... But ill be able to see it when i take the heads off to do a gasket swap. 

Thanks for all the help guys! Big smile

-------------
71 Ranchero, 351w.

Date Posted: 20-August-2017 at 3:09PM
 Shocked wow holy crap!! yep that'll do it!

-------------
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Date Posted: 21-August-2017 at 3:43PM
exploratory surgery successful

might wanna check the oil screen in the pan for timing gear teeth & valve stem oil seals

those may need replacing too

-------------
72 GT Ute

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net