URL: https://forum.grantorinosport.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=16803
Printed Date: 29-March-2024 at 1:07AM
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 1973 Ford Gran Torino Blower Motor
Posted By: Bumbadawg
Subject: 1973 Ford Gran Torino Blower Motor
Date Posted: 13-January-2018 at 9:12AM
Hey all,

New here. I am seeking your sage wisdom.

So, I have a 73 Gran Torino Base in a 5.8L 2bbl 351w.

It was supposedly setup for factory air but doesnt have ac. With all the cold here--i went to run the defrost a month ago...heard a banshee scream on the right passenger side with mechanical smoke. Turned vents off...stopped. i assumed blower motor because the higher the speed of fan the more horrible the sound.

So I buy a chilton book...go to summit and purchase an oem blower motor with wheel.

Chilton book was wrong. Summit was wrong. After tons of bolts I pull the blower motor out of its box....now...I either have the wrong blower (are there several?) or summit doesnt know sh*t. This blower motor and wheel are one piece and is 2x the size of the one purchased. Its rusty as hell...as is the box...and it has tons of filth in it.

So, what do I buy to replace this? If the box and unit are that rusty and all under the dash so gross...should I pull the dash and clean up that rats nets of wires and grime?

So I guess my questions are...what is my oem blower motor and wheel? Should I buy a new box as well?

Im just lost.

Is there only one blower?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Replies:
Posted By: californiajohnny
Date Posted: 13-January-2018 at 1:14PM
there was some questions regarding this on here somewhere...
i believe there are 2 one for non a/c and a/c?
 is yours inside a box that's separate from the main box?

-------------
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Posted By: 72FordGTS
Date Posted: 13-January-2018 at 1:21PM
John is correct, there are two types.  I searched for one for Klaus yesterday.  RockAuto has the non-a/c blower motors only.  I found an A/C blower motor on eBay. 

-------------
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Posted By: Power Surge
Date Posted: 13-January-2018 at 1:41PM
I went through this on the Cougar. The factory AC and factory non-AC blower motors are different. The entire heater box under the dash between the two is completely different. A factory AC car has the blower motor all the way to the pass side under the dash, with the motor end sticking down. You can't see the motor, because it's inside the lower housing assembly, again, unique to an AC car. The AC car blower motor bolts to a metal plate, which is then attached to the lower housing, and sandwiched between the upper and lower housing. The mounting plate on my car was rotted out, so I had to fabricate a new plate. 

I ALSO ran into an issue finding the correct blower wheel for an AC car. Every place online showed the right blower for an AC car, but the wrong blower wheel. I think I ordered three wheels, and they were all wrong. I finally found the correct one after some extensive searching. 

-------------
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite

Posted By: Bumbadawg
Date Posted: 14-January-2018 at 7:35AM
Ok, so if im understanding correctly, I did pull the one and only blower motor and wheel. My issue is that I bought a non-factory ac blower motor and instead need to get the hvac motor and wheel that fits and reinstall it to the blower box (which is round) and fits up to the other part with three bolts.

Does that sound accurate?

I sure do appreciate the info.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net