Forum Description: New members, please post here and introduce yourselves
URL: https://forum.grantorinosport.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=17185
Printed Date: 28-March-2024 at 10:07AM
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New to the forum
Posted By: cherokee6pilot
Subject: New to the forum
Date Posted: 10-June-2018 at 10:27AM
I stumbled on to this forum and and thought that I would see what the Torino community was doing.  My name is Doug and my first car was in 1977 when I purchased a 1972 Gran Torino Sport at the age of 15.  For some reason, the car was only 5 years old and was totally trashed, so my dad and I proceeded to turn it into an awesome car.  Like a lot of cars in the hands of a 16 year old, mine met it's final destiny when it was totaled (not completely my fault), so I got another and started again.

Jump ahead 40 years and I saw one that looked just like my first car.  I was in the southern states and looked to be restored.  I thought that they don't have the salt rot down there, like we have in the Northern part of the country.  So tapping into my childhood, I purchased the 1972 Gran Torino Sport.  After I had it a short time, I kind of didn't realize how mushy the steering was on these cars and the engine that they had dropped in it, was grossly underpowered for that big piece of iron.  So I decided to make some modifications, and that is when I found that this car was not as solid as I had thought.  It looked nice, but it was so full of bondo in places that it wouldn't be long until it started to fall apart.  Thus comes the project to bring this car back to life.

That was 18 months ago, as I have struggled to find the parts that I needed and some of the drastic decisions that I had to make...this story will be continued and is still continuing.  

-------------
Doug Cronin

Replies:
Posted By: 7T9_Tbird
Date Posted: 10-June-2018 at 10:58AM
Ah my friend, the story ALWAYS continues...and Welcome!LOLThumbs Up

-------------
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab

Posted By: californiajohnny
Date Posted: 10-June-2018 at 11:38AM
welcome! yes the stupid things we did in highschoolConfused i found this forum while searching for parts for my car... great place Big smile i have some parts and do a few other guys... post up what you need

-------------
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Posted By: 72FordGTS
Date Posted: 10-June-2018 at 12:21PM
Welcome to the forum!  Great story on your history with Torinos.  The stock steering on these cars was slow and had no road feel.  There are a couple of options to upgrade them, either swapping in a 1971-73 Mustang Saginaw steering box (which can be custom built to whatever specs your want), or get a Lares quick ratio Ford box.
We have tons of knowledgeable guys here to help with your project, so feel free to ask away.

We'd love to see your current project, here's how to post pics if you need help:

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/how-to-post-a-picture-updated_topic16433&FID=18&PR=3.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum.grantorinosport.org/how-to-post-a-picture-updated_topic16433&FID=18&PR=3.html

-------------
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Posted By: 72GTS351CJ
Date Posted: 10-June-2018 at 1:16PM
Welcome!!! My story is similar to yours. You will find plenty of help here

-------------
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     

Posted By: Timustbe
Date Posted: 10-June-2018 at 1:50PM
Welcome, I too stumbled on the group in search of "parts".  In the short few months I have been a member I have been made feel welcome and got a great deal on a replacement part.  My current project is to get the air conditioning up and running so right now I am just running down brackets before I get the actual parts that will cool the car down.  One place you'll find is the project update link where you can post your journey, I've tried to stay on top of mine.  As has already been said there is a wealth of information and lots of good people.

-------------
Tim Northcutt
'72 Ford Gran Torino Sport (Pearl White)
'07 Jack Roush SC F-150 (red)
'02 HD Road King Classic (Luxury Blue and Diamond Ice)

Posted By: californiajohnny
Date Posted: 10-June-2018 at 2:13PM
tim, don't you have a cleveland in your car? if so i have a set of cleveland a/c brackets and idler

-------------
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Posted By: chuxster
Date Posted: 11-June-2018 at 1:16AM
Welcome!! Send us a pic of your project! Seems alot of us had a Torino in high school

Posted By: legend onirot
Date Posted: 11-June-2018 at 2:34AM
welcome.  great story and like the other fellas said, you are in the right place.

-------------
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"

Posted By: fordismyboss
Date Posted: 11-June-2018 at 4:02AM
Welcome!

Ditto here as my story is the same as yours. Got My '72 in late 1974, totaled it in July 1977. Got my second one in the fall of 2015.

This forum is full of similar stories. So much swarm intelligence on these cars. Many members willing to help, a place to give back to others in need, and a place to share your project with others who are truly interested.

Can't wait to see the pictures of your car!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net