URL: https://forum.grantorinosport.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=18535
Printed Date: 29-March-2024 at 2:39AM
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Newby!
Posted By: Old Guy
Subject: Newby!
Date Posted: 02-January-2020 at 10:54AM
Hello all!

I am a new member of the forum, and just wanted to "meet" you all.   I am the extremely proud owner of a 1972 Gran Torino Sport, with a 429 and C6 auto.  It looks very much like an original Ford add I saw in a magazine as a kid.  The car is light blue with a white vinyl top, dark blue interior.  I am currently working on the suspension, and adding CVPI Springs, Little Shop A-arms & Strut Rod Isolators, Bilstein shocks, and ADDCo sway bars.  Love the car, but want to make it handle a little better to run up in the mountains....  A lot of the work I have done on the car has come from posts on this forum.  So, I decided to pull the plug and join up!

I purchased the car from a family friend, who swore he would NEVER sell it!  I tried for 15 years to get it from him, always to hear his steady and stern reply.  He kept the car garaged, under multiple layers of blankets.  To my surprise, I received a call from him some years back, and he wanted to know if I was still interested in the Torino?  I jumped at the chance, and have never looked back! I love the look of the car, and the fact there are not a dozen of them running around the streets. 

I look forward to the continued information from the forums, and will post pictures in the future of my build.

Thanks,

Jon

-------------
Jon
1972 Gran Torino Sport
429 w/C6

If it is meant to be,
It is up to me!

Replies:
Posted By: 72GTS351CJ
Date Posted: 02-January-2020 at 1:55PM
welcome Jon. Great story.  Glad you got it. We'd love to see many many pics of this rare torino!!!! Please post as soon as you can. -Rick- 

-------------
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     

Posted By: MrSmog
Date Posted: 02-January-2020 at 2:45PM
welcome and yes its nice to be the only Torino at a cruise or at the very least the only 72-76 torino if one of the older torinos show up.

Posted By: californiajohnny
Date Posted: 02-January-2020 at 3:44PM
welcome! yes pics please Big smile where in calif. are you?

-------------
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Posted By: legend onirot
Date Posted: 03-January-2020 at 1:50AM
welcome jon.  glad to have you, and we always love pictures!

-------------
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"

Posted By: 72FordGTS
Date Posted: 03-January-2020 at 4:50AM
Welcome Jon!  Glad you took the plunge and signed up to the forum.  The 429 cars are pretty rare, the least common engine in 1972.  You should get a Marti report if you haven't yet.  That suspension combo you have is pretty much what I run on my car.  It's a great setup and will make these big cars handle well.  Not many others have run the strutrod isolators, but I found those made a big different in keeping the front end tight.

I have upgraded you to a full member, so you can post pics.  We'd love to see the car, or better yet start a project thread so we can follow the build.

-------------
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Date Posted: 03-January-2020 at 7:17AM
Thanks to you all for the welcoming posts!

Californiajohnny-  I live in SoCal, about an hour north of San Diego.

72FordGTS-  I have followed several of suspension threads on this site,  and most of the modifications I am doing have been sourced from here.  Wink  I look forward to many more !

Mr.Smog-  I am with you. I go to several local car shows here, and hardly ever see a Gran Torino in the mix.  Can't wait to have my car on the road, and enter it in some of the shows!

Thank you all again!  Here is a picture of the car before I put it up on the stands for the suspension work.

I appreciate you!

Jon

-------------
Jon
1972 Gran Torino Sport
429 w/C6

If it is meant to be,
It is up to me!

Date Posted: 03-January-2020 at 7:22AM
I almost forgot....  Here is a picture of the Ford Add I remember seeing as a kid. I am planning on keeping the car a clean "Resto-mod" vehicle.  Just enough upgrades to make it fun to go out and play in!

Thanks!

-------------
Jon
1972 Gran Torino Sport
429 w/C6

If it is meant to be,
It is up to me!

Posted By: legend onirot
Date Posted: 03-January-2020 at 9:45AM
beautiful car, jon.  

-------------
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"

Date Posted: 03-January-2020 at 11:06AM
 laser stripes are fine if your going original, but i like yours the way it is Big smile
 i'm originally from littlerock near palmdale, but now i live up in washington (bigfoot countryLOL)

-------------
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Posted By: 1973gts
Date Posted: 03-January-2020 at 11:09AM
That is a really CLEAN looking car and I relly like those wheels, what kind are they? 

-------------
Dave - 1973 GTS N code

Date Posted: 03-January-2020 at 12:14PM
Gents,

Thanks for all the positive comments on my "Other Woman", as my wife likes to call her Big smile !!!
I am certainly looking forward to putting all of the parts on the Torino.

John/Californiajohnny-  I know the area well!  I used to own some acreage up in Adelanto, and ran off-road toys up there in my youth...  I am kinda leaning towards the lazer stripes for the car, but am still on the fence.  I like the clean lines the way it sits now as well.

Dave/1973gts-  Those are Boss 338 Wheels with the polished beads.  I am running 18" rims all around, as I wanted to leave room for bigger brakes in the future.  Nice fit with a 295/45/18 tucked in the rear wheel well!

As I become more familiar with the forum, I'll get off my rear end and get a build thread going.

Thanks again for all the positives!

Old Guy Jon

-------------
Jon
1972 Gran Torino Sport
429 w/C6

If it is meant to be,
It is up to me!

Posted By: 72FordGTS
Date Posted: 03-January-2020 at 12:58PM
Looks awesome, beautiful Torino! 

-------------
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Date Posted: 03-January-2020 at 2:20PM
off road toys! now that I DO miss about the desert in cali Big smile

-------------
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Posted By: 72 RancheroGT
Date Posted: 03-January-2020 at 2:28PM
Jon,

Really nice Torino.  I agree that it’s nice to be the only one of your kind at a show.  I don’t understand why Torinos/Rancheros are so rare, to me they are at least as nice as the Chevelles/El Caminos of the time.  Looking forward to more pics.

-------------
Craig
72 Ranchero GT (Clone)
“Confidence is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation”

Posted By: handsofstone
Date Posted: 05-January-2020 at 6:21AM
That blue was what mine originally wore. With laser stripes and magnums. Need more pics of interior and engine. 

Posted By: Steve M.
Date Posted: 05-January-2020 at 9:39AM
Nice Gran Torino. Very unique.

-------------
Steve M.

Posted By: texanrebel
Date Posted: 06-January-2020 at 10:40PM
Beautiful car! Love that shade of blue as well...you have joined the BEST car forum for these machines, I learn something all the time on here as these folks are a wealth of knowledge & incredibly helpful.
Totally relate to "the other woman" reference...mine is referred to as "The Mistress"

-------------
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe

Posted By: Travis91
Date Posted: 07-January-2020 at 2:05AM
nice looking car looks very clean. And texanrebel is right, this is the best forum around for these cars. Lots of good information on hereThumbs Up

Posted By: Conner
Date Posted: 13-January-2020 at 5:28AM
Wow, beautiful car!

-------------
Conner Van Hine

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net