Forum Description: Technical discussion for original and replica S&H Torinos
URL: https://forum.grantorinosport.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=1904
Printed Date: 19-April-2024 at 2:38PM
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Zebra 3 in rehab
Posted By: GaryFi
Subject: Zebra 3 in rehab
Date Posted: 19-January-2009 at 9:28AM
   I want to first thank Ralph for informing me about this website...Thanks man! You're like a one man assembly line..the car is looking fantastic!! I'd like to share my car's story with everyone and to bounce off questions and parts hunting in the hopes of getting my car back on the road (more on that later)...
  This forum is great! Me being "somewhat" knowledgable at car repair, its reasuring to have nice great guys out there ready to lend a helping hand to help keep these great cars on the road.... 
   Like alot of S&H owners out there, this for me was one of the cars that you wanted to have growing up but could'nt afford or your parents wouldnt let you get anyway because you would probably kill yourself screwing around acting like you were the real Starsky or something..LOL....Now 30 yrs later I'm going to make it a reality.. not get myself killed of course... but to have one of these cars...
   Anyhow...I picked up this Limited Edition S&H unit in the fall of 2007. It is production #559 out of the 1000. (thanks Ralph for the tip, I wondered what those numbers under the hood insulation stood for. I knew what the ps-122 and 2B were but not the #559) I am the third owner..
  The car spent most of its life in Colorado and Oregon so it was very solid..The second owner purchased it back in 2001 and drove it across the country through two snow storms back to Wisconsin. The car had the original paint and the trany and original 351W had been recently rebuilt. He had the body media blasted and repainted, had the carb rebuilt and added the slotted rims and new tires....then it was time for cruise'n and car shows....Clap

-------------
Starsky and Hutch Limited Edition #559 in rehab

Replies:
Date Posted: 19-January-2009 at 9:32AM

-------------

Date Posted: 19-January-2009 at 9:39AM

-------------

Date Posted: 19-January-2009 at 9:40AM
Hmmmmm, I wish the pics were the same size, they are from different sources and sizes and have to manipulate them for the posts...still trying to get the hang of it.....

-------------

Posted By: starsky76
Date Posted: 19-January-2009 at 12:47PM
Hey Gary,how's the car coming?You making any progress on her?

Date Posted: 19-January-2009 at 4:58PM
Hey Ralph, how ya doin?...they just finished the paint a few weeks ago, looks great..The interior is still gutted and that will be where I'll start when it gets back home..I'm probably going to leave it at the shop for a few months now (free storage anyway) to avoid trailering back 4hrs in the dirty snow and salt slop..unless I find an enclosed trailer to use...but if I did bring it back now I'd have to park my car outside (or the wifes but dont think she'd go for that) and that would suck, we have had record snowfall and below zero temps here so far this winter...I've got alot of pics of the car thoughout the process and I'll get those posted as soon as I can....I have to resize each one when I try and attach it so it isnt too big or distorted looking....

Later..

-------------

Date Posted: 19-January-2009 at 5:40PM
Then in the fall of 2005, while heading to a car show....WHAMMMMMMMM!!!!!!....he got hit
by a 16yr old who ran a stop sign.......

-------------

Date Posted: 19-January-2009 at 5:46PM
to make it worse, the impact spun him around and he hit a pole on the driver's side....                                

-------------

Posted By: TomiTomi
Date Posted: 19-January-2009 at 6:07PM
I just wondered seeing the first pics, why you have to have in rehab this car. But now my heart is bleeding. Cry

Tomi

-------------
Tomi

Date Posted: 19-January-2009 at 6:10PM

It was decided to replace the whole rear clip including the roof. It was brought to a body shop where it sat for 2 yrs..the only thing done was the that the clip was replaced and put into primer...then it was learned the body shop was going bankrupt so the owner ran over with a trailer to get his car...well...most of it... back before the banks and lawyers stepped in. When he arrived there was no sign of the dash (with vin plate) rear bumper, or fuel tank....he grabbed what he could find, threw it inside the gutted interior and took it home. In the meantime, he was getting a hard time from the insurance company and learned he had only insured the car for the blue book value and not the "agreed upon" value of a collector car...After all the insurance and body shop headaches, he decided to cut his losses and put it up on ebay which were I found it..I drove down and trailered it home and this is what it looked like.........then came the task of trying to convince my father-in-law to come out of retirement after selling his body shop, and help me finish putting this baby back together...

-------------

Posted By: Eliteman76
Date Posted: 19-January-2009 at 6:10PM
DAMN!
I was paging down...then I saw that quarter panel carnage.

I can only hope that the insurance company did not screw you over any?

Dude...I will say I hope you were ok...but I sware if that happened to my '72 GTS...I don't know exactly how I would react...CryAngryShocked

Andy

-------------
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems

Date Posted: 19-January-2009 at 6:27PM
Fortunately the previous owner wasnt hurt but suffered a broken heart to say the least..and it only went from bad to worse as I mentioned...good thing this car is built like a tank because the frame was fine....here's a pic of the original/rebuilt engine too...

-------------

Date Posted: 20-January-2009 at 3:12PM
Sounds awesome,all the paint is done!At least you got the car with all the tough work done.I've seen you guys up there have gotten tons of snow and cold.I'd leave it there too if its free storage for a while.I'm sure you'll be jumping on it when spring comes!Post more pics as you get them.

Date Posted: 22-January-2009 at 7:41PM

Well I was able to talk my father-in-law into coming out of retirement for awhile. The shops new owner (his cousin) agreed to help with the project and my car would be a filler project for when they didnt have other repair jobs at the moment. I told them that was fine and I wasnt in a hurry to get it back..(liar).. but I wanted it done right too....So I trailered it to his town which is a 4 hr drive and they started working on it. The floor and truck had some very small pin holes which they patched up. The only draw back to the rear clip was that it came from a car with opera windows in it..Oh well, too late now...but they had to redo what the old body shop had done..not very good work....It didnt take long however for my father-in-law to realize he was 69yrs old and hasnt done any body work for over 10yrs. I heard "my aching back" and "my bad shoulder" I told him to go easy on himself but he realized he should leave most of the work to the current owner..so that took awhile longer.....   

-------------

Date Posted: 22-January-2009 at 7:43PM

-------------

Date Posted: 22-January-2009 at 7:44PM

-------------

Date Posted: 22-January-2009 at 7:48PM
Then we decided to take the whole thing down to bare metal and start over...so off came the grill, hood, doors, and outer fenders..then of course when the fenders came off "You might as well pull the inner fenders too and paint those....right...I felt my pockets draining fast..$$....

-------------

Date Posted: 23-January-2009 at 2:11PM
Oh yes the pockets drain fast on one of these resto's!!!

Date Posted: 26-January-2009 at 5:43PM
doors, hood and fenders removed. The inner fenders were eventually removed as well. It was nice to hear they were nice and solid. Ive seen those are a favorite spot for rot    

-------------

Date Posted: 26-January-2009 at 5:48PM

fenders and doors in red. Only the inside of the jams were finish at this point, ready to bolt back on...I was alittle worried when I first saw them, thought the red was way off but I was assured it was the 2B and that it would look quite different once the finish coats and clear are on

-------------

Date Posted: 26-January-2009 at 5:57PM
My car was also one of the few S&H's that originally had a white interior with maroon dash..Since the original dash disappeared from the previous body shop, it helped make the decision to switch the whole thing over to a black interior anyway I found that the switches were pretty stiff and there was alot of sand type material inside the dash area..probably remmants from the media blasting on the first paint jog..the first thing I will do when the car is back is to tear the whole thing out and clean it up. Probably replace the heater core at the same time too so I dont have to worry about that later on..

-------------

Date Posted: 27-January-2009 at 12:42PM
Looking good!When I first went and looked at my car when just the inside was 2B red,I wasn't sure either about it.Then he did the trunk lid,finish cleared and buffed and it looked perfect!Wait till it's cleared and buffed,you'll flip out!!Smile

Date Posted: 29-January-2009 at 4:16PM
Ya, when I saw the finished door jams and inside the fenders I was like.. WOW..couldnt wait to see the rest of it like that...here are some before and afters of the floors in the passenger compartment and trunk..

-------------

Date Posted: 29-January-2009 at 4:17PM

-------------

Date Posted: 29-January-2009 at 4:18PM

-------------

Date Posted: 29-January-2009 at 4:19PM

-------------

Date Posted: 29-January-2009 at 4:20PM

-------------

Date Posted: 29-January-2009 at 4:30PM
I made sure and put a piece of tape saying "DO NOT PAINT" by the production numbers under the hood, this and the metal firewall tag are the only things left to prove its identity since the original dash/and VIN plate vanished and the door sticker was cut off with the old rear clip. I was lucky though that I have "2" build sheets, one in the driver's door is still completely intact, the one under the rear seat was starting to shred...

-------------

Date Posted: 29-January-2009 at 4:32PM
inner fenders painted and starting to collect dust.......

-------------

Date Posted: 29-January-2009 at 4:42PM

It looks like the floors and trunk were in really good shape.I know damn dust collects on everything if you don't wrap it up.You can have a new door jamb sticker made by martiauto works.I think it was like $25 and a report is like $40.They did mine and came out just like original.

Date Posted: 29-January-2009 at 5:14PM
right, you had mentioned that in an email awhile back after I was going to go with AutoKrafters...I saved Marti's website, its on my list of purchases...thanks again for the tipSmile

-------------

Posted By: motorheads5
Date Posted: 29-January-2009 at 5:34PM
Oh I scrolled through your thread and sank when I saw the t-bone carnage lol oh dude that suck's . It sure is looking good now nice work and nice car .Clap

Date Posted: 02-February-2009 at 6:52PM

fenders and doors replaced and alignment checked, found out driver's door hinges were bad, got those replaced

-------------

Date Posted: 02-February-2009 at 6:53PM

-------------

Posted By: lynchster
Date Posted: 03-February-2009 at 3:57PM
That "accident" is one of my biggest fears once my car is done. I hope I handle it well. Nice job on the rebuild.   

-------------
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"

Date Posted: 04-February-2009 at 1:28PM
I wouldn't handle it to well.lol.I'm going to use Grundy worldwide collector car insurance.Going to get it covered for like $40K.Just in case!!Anymore pics??

Posted By: zebra03
Date Posted: 04-February-2009 at 1:43PM
That raises a good question. I have Hagerty's ins. for $20k on my limited S&H 61,000 orig. miles. Enough?

Date Posted: 04-February-2009 at 1:50PM
I'd probably raise it at least $5k,maybe $7-8K.Our cars aren't getting any easier or cheaper to find parts for,especially nos parts,they're drying up as we speak and also not a lot is made for our cars as far as repro stuff and sheetmetal is another issue.

Posted By: zebra03
Date Posted: 04-February-2009 at 1:53PM
Thanks

Date Posted: 04-February-2009 at 3:31PM

When the previous owner had the accident, he almost had a stroke when his insurance company said they would give him something like $3500 which is what they thought the "book" value was for the car at the time, a basic '76 2dr Gran Torino. Luckly he got some help from starskytorino.com who was able to give him some documents to show his insurance company the actual value of the collector car..he must have been a good costumer too because they came to an agreement to pay for the whole repair. Then after getting over that headache, the body shop went under before the job was completed and he gave up and sold it...He learned a valuable lesson on having a old car valued for an "agreed upon" price for an auto policy.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-February-2009 at 3:37PM

We went with pure toner for the stripe (another Ralph tip) I told my father-in-law to call me when he had it marked off. I had to make sure it was exactly where I wanted it.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-February-2009 at 3:40PM
good thing I drove the 4hrs to make sure, for going pretty much only by the old photos I had, it was pretty darn close. Just had to widen the spot where it goes over the roof.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-February-2009 at 3:43PM
the only part I didnt like with the old stripe was if you looked closely the point sortof nose dives after it passes the front tires. One side was right but the other still dipped. Got that corrected.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-February-2009 at 3:50PM
ready for the paint booth

-------------

Date Posted: 04-February-2009 at 3:55PM

-------------

Date Posted: 04-February-2009 at 5:35PM
WOW,looking really good!Yeah that roof stripe we had to do a couple times also,mine was actually to wide,had to narrow it a bit and also on the front fenders,the way it goes over the bulge,had to do it a couple times also to get it right.Has it been shot in the final red coats yet?

Date Posted: 05-February-2009 at 6:30AM
Yup, looks fantastic..Clap..I'll try and get the photos transfered and resized to post today or tomorrow...

-------------

Posted By: GRAN1976TORINO
Date Posted: 05-February-2009 at 10:56AM
Keep those pics coming! Looking really good - dont forget interior and under-carriage pics! Gotta see those asap! Nice job!

Date Posted: 06-February-2009 at 3:55PM
the final painting phase has begun.......alittle orangy from the flash

-------------

Date Posted: 06-February-2009 at 3:59PM

red coats are on, paper removed from stripe ready to shoot the whole thing in clear. Thought about just leaving it like this...............not. 

-------------

Date Posted: 06-February-2009 at 4:00PM

-------------

Date Posted: 06-February-2009 at 4:00PM

-------------

Date Posted: 06-February-2009 at 4:03PM
what a difference that clear makes, the paint is still a bit wet when these were taken, but wow! what a shine!Thumbs%20Up

-------------

Date Posted: 06-February-2009 at 4:05PM

-------------

Date Posted: 06-February-2009 at 4:23PM

-------------

Date Posted: 06-February-2009 at 4:25PM

-------------

Posted By: SininenIII
Date Posted: 06-February-2009 at 10:01PM
Looks great! I can imagine how happy you are with the resultSmile

-------------
Aatu
73 Gran Torino Sport

Date Posted: 08-February-2009 at 9:27AM
WOW - FANTASTIC....NICE SHOTS - POST MORE ASAP!..is it buckets or bench?

Date Posted: 08-February-2009 at 6:19PM
I have a bench, but I picked up a center counsel awhile ago in case I find a nice set of bucket seats. I'll probably keep the column shift though like the TV show cars, I just bought a tilt wheel I am going to have installed. The counsel I got is actually for a column shift car, it still has the plate covering where the floor shift lever would usually go..
I've got some pics after the buffing was all done that I'll post shortly.....

-------------

Date Posted: 10-February-2009 at 12:52AM
Great - thanks!

Date Posted: 12-February-2009 at 3:23PM

Well, its finally out of the paint booth. Its been sanded and buffed and has a fantastic shine!!Clap Side mirrors, front bumper and grill put back on..I wish I could take some credit for it but I've been leaving it up to my father-in-law and the guys at the shop. They're the pros. Instead of bringing it back home, its going to stay in storage there until the snow melts..I know.. its kill'n me.. Especially the other day, we broke a record with 50 degrees in Green Bay..Getting the bug. But winter isnt over. And I dont want to trailer it for 4 hrs on the salt dusted highways..I may have a lead on an enclosed trailer though so I may use that..The undercarriage isnt going to be anything special. Just going to reundercoat it. The interior is still gutted out. I ordered an interior kit from Dearborn, seat covers, carpet, headliner, armrests, and a bunch of other goodies to install but I'm going to have an interior shop take care of installing most of that. I've got enough $$ tied up already and being somewhat of a novice at restoration I'm going to leave some of the big stuff to the pros..Dont want to have to pay for something twice, thats for sure..

It may be alittle frustrating putting the rest together since I bought it with the interior gutted and alot of misc nuts/bolts and trim pieces missing. I wish I had another 76 parts car with a nice black interior to park next to mine and just switch everything out with..Oh well..part of the challenge I guess.. Enjoy the pics...

-------------

Date Posted: 12-February-2009 at 3:24PM

-------------

Date Posted: 12-February-2009 at 3:25PM

-------------

Date Posted: 12-February-2009 at 3:27PM
need to add the black pinstripe yet too

-------------

Date Posted: 12-February-2009 at 3:27PM

-------------

Date Posted: 12-February-2009 at 3:35PM

-------------

Date Posted: 12-February-2009 at 3:35PM

-------------

Date Posted: 12-February-2009 at 3:37PM

-------------

Date Posted: 12-February-2009 at 3:38PM

-------------

Date Posted: 12-February-2009 at 3:39PM

-------------

Date Posted: 12-February-2009 at 3:46PM

-------------

Date Posted: 12-February-2009 at 3:47PM

-------------

Posted By: starskyknight
Date Posted: 13-February-2009 at 1:55AM
I bet you can't wait to get it back on the streets! Lookin sweeter by the week.

Date Posted: 12-May-2009 at 3:15PM
I thought I better find my thread before it got too buried..LOL...There hasnt been much to report lately, I'm scraping together the balance $$ of the paint job so I can pick her up. I'm hoping by the end of the month..I did send my rear bumper out to get rechromed and a local guy was recomended for repolishing the trim so I dropped that off...Really nice guy and he looks just like Santa Claus with his big white beard...wild....

I need to clear everything out of the one side in the garage before I take it home too, dont want any of the kids bicycles or rakes and shovels falling off their hooks on the walls and ceiling onto the car,,thats for sure....

All this nice weather and local car shows is killiing me.... 

-------------

Posted By: crispy23c
Date Posted: 12-May-2009 at 3:36PM
Cool update!!!
Keep the pics coming, it looks GREAT!!!

-------------
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark

Date Posted: 23-May-2009 at 5:59PM

Time to come home!! Those Uhaul car transports work pretty nice...

-------------

Date Posted: 23-May-2009 at 6:05PM
Home Sweet Home...HEY YOU KIDS, KEEP THOSE BIKES AWAY FROM THE TORINO!!!!Confused

-------------

Date Posted: 23-May-2009 at 6:06PM

-------------

Date Posted: 23-May-2009 at 6:10PM

One of my first jobs is to take the dash completely off,  need to clean everything up and probably put in a new heater core while I'm at it. Also painting the lower dash black..Got a tilt column to put in as well.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-May-2009 at 5:45AM
Looking good,now you can pull all nighters on it!You have a nice spacious garage to work in too.

Date Posted: 24-May-2009 at 5:46AM
Watch those exhaust tips,that's a lower leg injury waiting to happen!lol.

Date Posted: 24-May-2009 at 6:20AM
Ha, thats funny you say that Ralph, I already have a nice scratch/scab on my right shin because of those things...so out came the cutting wheel and I cut them off yesterday..I was planning of having the tailpipes turned up and hidden anyway.....

-------------

Date Posted: 24-May-2009 at 9:04AM
Gary - looking REALLY NICE! Paint looks great!! keep pics coming! what interior os going back in?

Date Posted: 24-May-2009 at 5:53PM
Thanks..I'm switching everything to black. I was going to put the front bench seat back in but now I've decided to try and find some buckets from that era to put in instead... When I got the interior kit from Dearborn it didnt come with a cover for the front bench seat which was kindof odd. I called them and they said the kit doesnt come with a new cover for the front only the rear seat..??.. but they could get the same material from their supplier and I can have someone local make a cover..I thought if I'm going to have to do that, I might as well go the bucket route.. 

-------------

Date Posted: 26-May-2009 at 9:40AM
nice - kepp sending pics!! How much did the paint cost?

Date Posted: 26-May-2009 at 7:06PM

MY MISTAKE.....Dearborns interior kit DID come with the FRONT bench cover, its the rear seat cover that wasnt included..Its been sitting in a box for so long I forgot which one came with it....still going to try and find some front buckets though....

The paint job came to around $13,000. which is about twice what I had budgeted..Unfortunatley my father-in-law wasnt able to work on it as much as I had hoped (for free) so I had to have the other guys at the shop complete it. A good chunk of the work/time/money was spent fixing the subpar body work the previous shop started for the car's prior owner. Sounds like alot but after talking with the shop owner (whos actually my wife's cousin) and explained everything he did, I'm OK with it. I also had him tear it down more than anticipated too. and once you start digging into those things you want to do it right while its apart..so oh well, ya it costs but it looks great..if this wasnt an actual Limited Edition S&H I wouldnt have gone to the extent of rehab I did. I keep telling myself I've been waiting 30yrs for this car so I say what the hell...right? 

-------------

Date Posted: 27-May-2009 at 3:11PM
absolutely! Well well worth it! wish you could go to Carlisle in June - lots of S&H cars will be there. Next year maybe!!!!???

Date Posted: 27-May-2009 at 4:20PM
Gary,my same thoughts,what the hell,do it right and its done.I give you some big credit for restoring it,going to be sweet when its done....finished yet?

Date Posted: 27-May-2009 at 5:47PM

Ha, you funny man Ralph!! I got the battery recharged. hows that? lol...I checked out some wheel dollys at Fleet Farm today, $90. a piece, to put under the tires so I can push the Torino off to the side and get our other two daily drivers inside in case there is a storm. I'm paronoid of hail storms, my wife had her brand new car hailed on years ago, 3 days after driving it out off the showroom floor...For now mine is staying outside.

I'll have to take some baby steps when its all together, I'd love to get to the big dance in Carlisle some day. That would be quite a drive from Wisconsin. It would be a nice visit though, I could swing over to my old Army base in Maryland where I was stationed in the 80's. 

Going to go tire shopping. I have a refurbished set of 15" alum slots waiting to go on. Need to send the tilt column out and get that refurb and get that fuel tank,sending unit, etc ordered to get it running. It hasnt been started in over a year..

I've noticed a tranny leak. Looks like the front/housing area. Its been doing it since I bought it. I was told the tranny was redone years ago. Could that be from sitting so long and is that something that might seal itself again once its run down the road some?

Ralph, what width did you use again on your black stripe? I know it wasnt the 1/4"

-------------

Date Posted: 28-May-2009 at 3:41PM

I had my painter go 1/8" wide to keep it more subtle looking.The leak is probably the front pump seal,its cake to change once the trans is out,but you should inspect pump bushing behind it if the seal is out.If thats to worn,you'll leak even with a new seal.

Date Posted: 28-May-2009 at 4:56PM
thats good to know on the tranny, I checked the fluid level after starting it for the first time and it seemed to shift fine in forward and reverse when I drove up and off the trailer..And I have the receipt on the engine rebuild the original owner did on the motor so I shouldnt have to put any money into that but will probably have the old stock 2brl carb rebuilt from sitting so long though...
I put alittle 1/8" striping on one side and 3/16" on the other...after walking back and forth looking at it I think I'm going with the 3/16" after all, it did have the 1/4 before,too wide....

Thanks

-------------

Date Posted: 29-June-2010 at 6:45PM
HOLY CRAP!! I cant believe its been over a year since I last added something!!! I had to slow things down a bit (spending wise) the past year and take care of some other issues which took away from my rehab time...The good news is I can get back at it now..My father-in-law (the retired bodyshop owner) drove over and spent a few days last week. Ya, part was to see the grandkids, but mainly to help me reassemble the car..Its one thing when you take a car apart yourself and mark everything real nice so you know where it goes during reassembly.. Its another when you get a project in pieces and try putting it back together...sort of like getting one of those 500 piece puzzles and not having the photo on the box cover to guide you...

So anyway, we were able to get all of the redone drip rail moldings on along with the roof and door seals. The quarter windows along with the weather stripping...(you folks are right those repro pieces for the quarter windows are junk!)...he also showed me how to mount the rocker panel trim with all those clips. I put the new tail lamps and bezels on...ran the wiring harness to the back and hooked it up.

Changed all the bulbs and everything works!!  Whooo Hoooo!

Installed the passenger door glass but not the driver's side..too scratched up. Now  that I know how to do it I'll wait till I get a nicer one to put in for that side..

I started small list of various parts and pieces that I am going to need to find...I will be listing them
under the "Wanted" section shortly....If anyone can help me with parts they may have or point me in the direction where I can get them I would truly appreciate it...

I'll get an updated pic shortly...

Gary

-------------

Posted By: Blueoval76
Date Posted: 30-June-2010 at 4:16PM
Love the thread and the car. Where about in WI are you located? I may have only had my 75 for a few months now but have yet to see another one around here. I even went to the big show in the Dells and only saw one SH and one 75 wagon and that show had over 1K cars there!

Jesse

-------------
68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods

Date Posted: 30-June-2010 at 6:49PM
I went to the Dells show a couple years ago and there were only 2 there and they were both S&H cars, one drove up from Illinois and was in really nice shape..
I'm in Green Bay and I havent seen any other ones up here either...
I'm glad I have a renewed energy about getting this project done. Its so easy to get caught up in other projects but seeing all the old cars coming out on the weekends was killing me...that and the simple fact that I have never taken on a project like this so having the father-in-law pay a visit was a great help..

And thats what makes this site so great is all the super folks who share their knowledge and experience on so many topics to help lesson the agravation you can get sometimes...

Also added a 3/16" black pinstripe. It used to have a 1/4 but I thought that was too wide and 1/8th was too thin...Door handles and locks also put in and working..It was surprising what we were finding in all those boxes and coffee cans of nuts/bolts and parts...another bonus of having an old school body guy pay a visit... I could just hold up a part and ask where in the heck does his go? and he would say over there...

Here are a couple of resent pics....

-------------

Posted By: mcford
Date Posted: 01-July-2010 at 12:09AM
coming together quite nicely!

Posted By: interceptor460
Date Posted: 01-July-2010 at 3:08AM
Great work. I like the way you rebuilt her .

Posted By: VorbottenO
Date Posted: 01-July-2010 at 3:30PM
Awesome!
Well worth the time and effort. There are a lot of guys out there that just want the car rolling rather than a quality long term rewards and investment.
You have done it right

-------------
Eric
72GTS-Ncode (429-477ci)

Posted By: Regul8r
Date Posted: 16-February-2011 at 5:20PM
found and moved another one to the project page

-------------
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Posted By: crispy23c
Date Posted: 14-February-2012 at 11:42PM
Hey, did you ever finish this thing???
I forgot you wereso deep into it, it looks really NICE!!!!
~Chris

-------------
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark

Date Posted: 16-February-2012 at 6:54AM
Hey, thanks for digging out my thread Chris. No, my car hasnt hit the street yet, pretty much looks like the last photos unfortunately. I had a little health issue last year and had to watch my spending but I am determined to get on it soon so I can have it on the road this summer. I have still been collecting parts however, new fuel tank, sending unit, oddball interior items, all sitting in boxes. I have an upholsterer lined up to redo the bucket seats. I just need to schedule a time..I've also been sending out my trim to have reanodized if I havent found NOS. Also scored a new grill for a nice price and had the surround trim for it redon as well..

Another really cool thing that happened last fall was that I was actually able to meet "Starsky", Paul Michael Glaser in person in Chicago at a Hollywood convention there..Really nice guy, got to talk a bit and get a couple pictures. He was also promoting a book he authored. My son invited him to come to Green Bay when the car is done and take it for a drive. That was funny....

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net