Forum Description: 351C, 351M and 400 engines
URL: https://forum.grantorinosport.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=19097
Printed Date: 27-March-2024 at 9:51PM
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: OEM Serpentine belt system project
Posted By: 72 RS 351
Subject: OEM Serpentine belt system project
Date Posted: 06-September-2020 at 11:14AM
Would anyone be interested in a serpentine belt system for all Cleveland block engines, all 351 to 400's?

I have an idea I thought of a couple of months ago. If it can be done, the cost will be what it takes to buy the factory accessories, the two mounting brackets from those engines, and have new AC and PS lines made.

The two late model applications I'm referring to are the 94/95 302 Mustangs, or the 96-01 302 Explorers. Both of those use just two brackets to mount everything except the crank and WP pulleys. Those two have the belt located differently from each other, the Explorer 302 belt is about 3/8" farther back than the Mustang. So if the project can work, the one to choose will be what seems to fit or look better under the hood of the typical old Fords. The Explorer mounts the AC compressor down low, and the PS reservoir up high on the driver's side. The other side is similar, but the Mustang uses a 3G alternator, while the Explorer has a 4G. So opinions matter to choose which is best. The Explorer 302 parts are much more common now though, that's what I would prefer.

I just ordered a reverse rotation WP, that will be the odd part required. It takes the same WP pulley bolt pattern. I am looking for an 80's WP pulley from a 4-cylinder it seems, there is supposed to be one that matches the Cleveland WP bolt pattern. A smooth pulley is needed to run the WP in reverse from normal WP's.

I will not get to this project for a while, 2-3 months likely. I want to drive my new Ranchero for a while and work out any bugs, like right now there is no fast idle circuit functioning.

I plan to remove all of the parts from my 351C-4V, down to the WP. I have a spare 302 HO crank pulley, that's what I hope is the best part to line up the belt with. The WP pulley needs to be located at the crank's belt location.

If that does end up with the belt located about an inch back from the crank and WP(with brackets held against the heads), then I can make a spacer to bolt to the heads, between them and the brackets. The idea is to space the late model brackets out to match the belt location of a 302 HO crank pulley. I'd make the spacers out of wood first, carefully set the thickness to what lines the belt up. Then I'll take the spacers to a machine shop and have them make them out of steel.

Given that, if it goes as planned, the result is two fabricated parts. Then anyone can locate the other OEM parts, and have the AC and PS lines fabricated to work with the new accessories. Then it all can go onto any 351C, 400, or 351M block engine. Changing the alternator wiring is easy for any shop that rebuilds them.

The end appearance isn't what I was after, just modern parts that are easier to come by. So this isn't an idea to replace the many nice looking aftermarket system. But it will be cheaper and in most cases work better than anything else.

-------------
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W

Replies:
Posted By: jhggtsf
Date Posted: 21-September-2020 at 12:38PM
Can you use the Explorer crank pulley? It is integrated with the harmonic balancer and the late 302's have a 50 oz. external balance while older 302s, 351 and the Clevelands (351c,351m and 400) all are 28 oz. You could probably use the pulley/balancer from a 351w from a 90's F150 or Bronco though.

-------------
Joe

Posted By: 72 RS 351
Date Posted: 21-September-2020 at 2:12PM
The deal is how the belt lines up. The older Fords before 1994 all have the belt far forward of the balancer etc. The 94/95 Mustang and 96-01 Explorer place the belt far rearward compared to the older engines.

So the Explorer balancer is fixed at 50oz, and the pulley being built in has to match the Explorer only accessories(including the Explorer 302 water pump).

I want to place the belt in the normal range like older Fords. The HO 302 crank pulley is common and bolts to any SBF balancer except the 60's 3-bolt type. My idea would have you use the right balancer needed for the engine(28oz or internal), the HO crank pulley, that odd WP pulley I'm looking for, and the matched set of late accessories and head brackets. If that can work, measure for the belt given a 351C or the larger 400 size blocks.

-------------
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net