Forum Description: Technical discussion for 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
URL: https://forum.grantorinosport.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=9601
Printed Date: 28-March-2024 at 5:53AM
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Front Sheetmetal Interchange
Posted By: unlovedford
Subject: Front Sheetmetal Interchange
Date Posted: 12-August-2013 at 6:51AM
What noses (header panels) and hoods will interchange with an LTD II? I am considering another project and would like to swap an earlier Montego or Cougar nose piece and hood onto an LTD II. Would have to use the II's fenders, but would be free to swap the header panel, bumper and hood. Goal is to perhaps narrow/recess/shorted the front and rear bumpers to give a trimmer look to the old girl, and I prefer the round headlight treatment. Any ideas?

-------------
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Replies:
Posted By: legend onirot
Date Posted: 12-August-2013 at 8:47AM
I think you should finish one of your torino first LOL...  but it sounds like fun.  you should be able to swap the whole front clip... dan the ranchero man could give you the best advice probably

-------------
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"

Date Posted: 12-August-2013 at 9:06AM
LOL. I would need to keep the LTD II fenders because of the trim on them. Just having a tough time with the look of the nose.

BTW, this car is a running driving example that should have no issue going to Dawsonville...if needed.

-------------
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Posted By: madmaxtorino
Date Posted: 12-August-2013 at 10:27AM
so was the wagon till you ****** with it!Big smile

-------------
Allan
Revelation 6:8
When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth.

Date Posted: 12-August-2013 at 10:42AM
Oh I know. The original owner never had a problem with it, then I actually improve and update things and it turns to s**t. The '72 wagon is running now and it will still be the number 1 choice for our drive. I am almost finished with that !!*$%#@^&!! kitchen and greatroom, so I'll concentrate on it once they are done.

-------------
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Posted By: Dan the ranchero man
Date Posted: 12-August-2013 at 10:53AM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

What noses (header panels) and hoods will interchange with an LTD II? I am considering another project and would like to swap an earlier Montego or Cougar nose piece and hood onto an LTD II. Would have to use the II's fenders, but would be free to swap the header panel, bumper and hood. Goal is to perhaps narrow/recess/shorted the front and rear bumpers to give a trimmer look to the old girl, and I prefer the round headlight treatment. Any ideas?
The front clip that would work "WITHOUT" Having to change fenders would be the 77-79 cougar and t-bird. If you wish to partake in a complete front end swap (bumpers and all) this is what would work : 73-76 montego/74-76 cougar (this would look great with a Montego GT hood)/74-76 elite. Again "complete" front end is the operative word here. Everything from firewall forward. (don't forget the bumpers,absorbers,fillers and the headlight wiring too) 

Date Posted: 12-August-2013 at 12:36PM
Well, I cannot change the fenders because of the trim that matches the doors. I was hoping that a Cougar or Montego from 74 to 76 would be compatible with the present fenders. I was considering the pretty front of the 75 XR7 that I used to have and chopping/channeling the bumpers (both front and rear). Drat.

-------------
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Posted By: Spoiler II
Date Posted: 13-August-2013 at 4:19PM
I'm in the same boat...would love to find an elite and change to a ltd II/Ranchero front clip to create a sort of "what if" trim style called Talladega II.
A kind of a faux trim option thought out by ford for the ltd intro for 76 and the last of the torino line.

Posted By: Spoiler II
Date Posted: 13-August-2013 at 4:22PM
..you should see my cyclone concept for the same year montegos as well as my "what ifs"  had hurst not gone with oldsmobile.....

Date Posted: 14-August-2013 at 12:52AM
Very cool!!

-------------
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Date Posted: 14-August-2013 at 1:22PM

Well, I cannot change the fenders because of the trim that matches the doors. I was hoping that a Cougar or Montego from 74 to 76 would be compatible with the present fenders. I was considering the pretty front of the 75 XR7 that I used to have and chopping/channeling the bumpers (both front and rear). Drat.
Could you post a photo of the car? I might have a plan??? Take care Dan

Date Posted: 14-August-2013 at 4:31PM
It is a member's LTD II wagon that he is selling. I took a few days off this week to get some Honey-do's done (after being out of town on business for 2 weeks) so that I can go look at his car this weekend...if he still has it then.

-------------
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Date Posted: 14-August-2013 at 4:31PM
The Squire trim is the issue...

-------------
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Date Posted: 15-August-2013 at 10:46AM

The Squire trim is the issue...
OK I understand now. If it was just some chrome peices then that could been made to work.

Date Posted: 15-August-2013 at 11:20AM
I was kind of vague about it to not offend the purists out there, but I just cannot get past the fact that the LTD II was the largest intermediate vehicle ever built. I would like to clean it up and knock about a foot off the length so that it looks less like a big LTD and more like what it should have looked like. 2 doors look great, don't get me wrong, but the wagons look like they will crush the asphalt with their sheer enormity.

-------------
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Date Posted: 15-August-2013 at 11:48AM
It was just as long as any ranchero built from 72-79 or torino/montego wagon. yes it was big car no doubt. but not the largest (but it does sure looks like it could be).

Posted By: stanman
Date Posted: 15-August-2013 at 2:04PM

Date Posted: 15-August-2013 at 3:10PM
Funny thing is that an LTD II wagon is actually almost a foot longer than my '72 GT Squire. Fenders are longer, bumpers are also larger and longer. All that adds up. According to Wikipedia, the LTD II wagon is the largest intermediate ever produced. The downsized LTD wagon in '79 was the same or smaller. Sad, but line up a '72 wagon and a '77 LTD II - you would be shocked. Still, things can be done to change that.

-------------
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Posted By: n2fordwagons
Date Posted: 16-August-2013 at 12:59AM

Hey Joe.

Yep, still have it.  Figured I would give you first shot, since I beat you to it, last year.  :)

I wonder if the woodgrain and trim from Torino Squire Wagon or Ranchero fenders would line up with the LTD II door trim?  If they do, and if you could find Squire fenders, that might open up your options.

You mentioned the Montego/Cougar.  If you could find fenders from a Villager wagon, you might be OK, but you'd have stainless trim, instead of woodgrain trim.  But, then you could use the Cougar front nose.  Now, that would cool!  Good luck finding decent Villager fenders!!

You've probably seen this, but just in case.  '77 - '79 Tbird front nose on an LTD II squire wagon.  I thought about doing this myself, as I found several Tbirds with nice front clips, in Pull A Parts around here, when I first bought my wagon.  Hope to see you this weekend.  :)

Posted By: fordpower
Date Posted: 16-August-2013 at 6:37AM
If you change the front you would have to change the hood.

Date Posted: 16-August-2013 at 6:42AM
Yep. No problem with that. I have a line on another Montego GT hood.

-------------
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Posted By: madmaxtorino
Date Posted: 16-August-2013 at 8:54AM
Joe I still have access to the 75 cougar I got from you for parts(Front End)

-------------
Allan
Revelation 6:8
When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth.

Date Posted: 16-August-2013 at 10:32AM
I planned on calling you if I get the wagon. I loved the lines on that car...

-------------
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Date Posted: 17-August-2013 at 5:38AM

Funny thing is that an LTD II wagon is actually almost a foot longer than my '72 GT Squire. Fenders are longer, bumpers are also larger and longer. All that adds up. According to Wikipedia, the LTD II wagon is the largest intermediate ever produced. The downsized LTD wagon in '79 was the same or smaller. Sad, but line up a '72 wagon and a '77 LTD II - you would be shocked. Still, things can be done to change that.
The thing is that all the rancheros, montego/torino wagons from 72-79 sit on the same chassis. For the exception of the 72 having a different bumber mounting for the front the frame set is the same. Those 5 MPH bumper absorbers I guess would add some lenth to and already long car.  

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net