The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project TV 2M8O

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 38>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2016 at 10:42AM
**CLICK ON PICS TO ENLARGE AND CLICK AGAIN TO SUPERSIZE**

Well got the 460 rolled over to assemble the top side...

cleaned the gasket surfaces...

chased all the tapped holes...

installed the intake studs...

and dry fit the intake before installing the gaskets and RTV along the front and rear end seals....

GLAD I DID because the water pump I bought did not have the coolant bypass hose nipple installed!

SO top side assembly and paint stalled until the necessary nipple can be gotten.... but I did go ahead and coat the intake manifold gasket and set it in place so that much will be ready once I get the nipple and wrap up the intake installation.

HAPPY FOURTH TO ALL MY FELLOW TORINOITES! Beer

Edited by TV 2M8O - 02-July-2016 at 10:56AM
[IMG]uploads/925/2M8OGIF.gif[IMG]
TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2016 at 10:54AM
that sucks joe, those things are generally pressed in, so if you find the right one you'll probably have to remove the pump and press it in. good news is... you haven't run the engine so the pump should come off without tearing the gasket! Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
starsky460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2016 at 11:06AM
Looking good Joe !!! Smile
Carl
1976 Gran Torino Starsky & Hutch Limited Edition
FACTORY 460 c.u. engine
3:55 gears
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2016 at 7:35AM
Ordered this for pickup next weekend from Summitt while I'm in Tallmadge...

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2016 at 10:30AM
ah, i was going to suggest maybe treading it would be easier! looks like you got it figured out Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2016 at 11:24AM

Decent progress today after a couple slow weekends... Last weekend, water pump nipple opening threaded and back side of water pump painted...

and intake painted.

This weekend, bypass hose nipple installed, intake dry fit...   

intake installed...

bypass hose and clamps installed and masked, water pump reinstalled then top side of engine painted...

finally, distributor installed and carb dry fit before calling it a (sweltering!!) day.

Until next week........

Edited by TV 2M8O - 23-July-2016 at 11:40AM
TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2016 at 12:19PM
Looks great! Stay cool brother!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2016 at 6:21PM
"until next week..." are you dropping it in???Big smile Clap
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2016 at 12:11AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

"until next week..." are you dropping it in???Big smile Clap

Still a few more items I want to hang on the engine before setting it in the car, but my plans are to have it back between the frame rails next weekend!
TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2016 at 8:07AM

Well a day of regression.... was getting my all my stuff together to mount my harmonic balancer and guess what I found in the Ziploc bag will all the hardware and woodruff key? The damn oil slinger for the timing chain! Jumped on line to see if it was a necessity and a couple of the sites I trust both said "don't forget to reinstall the oil slinger", so two weekends of work went out the window as I broke everything down to access the timing set!

At least I know things are in order, LOL, and there will be plenty of paint on the 460 by the time it gets installed!!

I also rebuilt my AC idler pulley because the bearing seized up when I blasted it.

I was surprised that the original bearing said JAPAN on it...

but I guess by the mid '70s things had already begun to move offshore.

A bead of RTV to seal the outer cover back on and I will do a bit of beautification on the visible side to make it more appealing before spraying it satin black to match the other pulleys.

Next weekend, I plan on installing the engine mounts, rolling the engine over and touching up the top side before dropping the 460 into place.

Wish me luck.........

Edited by TV 2M8O - 31-July-2016 at 8:34AM
TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2016 at 11:30AM
Don't beat yourself up to bad about that oil slinger. Been there done that on my 460 too! And mine was already in the car and I had the engine running! Noticed it on the workbench when the car was running :( .  You are right you will have a nice thick coat of ford blue on that beast before it is all over. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2016 at 12:47PM
yeah all those thick coats of paint on there, you're going to need a 5 core radiator just to keep it cool LOL and cut holes all along the frame not just the bumper to account for the added weightLOL
 keep up the good work Clap
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2016 at 3:10AM

A bit more progress today.... located my hard heater lines and pulled the retaining clip off so I could paint them

along with the engine oil dip stick, painted the harmonic balancer...

and blasted and cleared the aluminum section of the engine fan clutch.

I installed the engine mounts onto the block and then set about dry fitting the MT valve covers still trying to figure out how to spread them to fit correctly), Holley carb and spacer, oil filter and the Crites headers.

Looking pretty good in my book!! Next weekend I'll install the harmonic balancer and fuel pump, pop off the headers, carb and valve covers and set this baby between the frame rail for good!!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 07-August-2016 at 3:12AM
TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2016 at 5:36AM
Clap gettin' there! hey joe how far off are the bolt holes on the valve covers from fitting? which holes and how many? i'll see if i can come up with some ideas for you Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Paul100ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul100ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2016 at 6:36AM
Thumbs Up
Nothing stops this train.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2016 at 7:15AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

Clap gettin' there! hey joe how far off are the bolt holes on the valve covers from fitting? which holes and how many? i'll see if i can come up with some ideas for you Wink

John,

The cover I have on the passenger side I was able to pop over the cover to get the lip to fit onto the head but the holes are maybe 1/4 hole or less off, but the cover on the driver side needs to expand about 3/16" (at vertical center line) just to get the cover lip over the head. Once I get the covers to fit easily onto the heads, I will then address the mounting holes.

A local machine shop that does a LOT of work for us says I need to be very careful in spreading the cover too fast because they are tempered. He has a turnbuckle he made to expand some of our aluminum castings that come in bowed/twisted/out of shape that he is going to bring me to see if it would work inside the cover to push it SLOWLY into position. His suggestion is to expand a bit then put it in the over for an hour or so set about 400 degrees, let cool naturally then expand a bit more and repeat until it arrives at the desired size.

I'm also going to ring up Holley Tech Support (now that they are producing the M/T covers again) for their suggestions on how to proceed.

WISH ME LUCK!!
TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2016 at 10:59AM

Well today Mother Nature and contrary parts kicked my azz!!!! Nothing more frustrating that trying to roll around a 600lb (??) engine hanging from an engine hoist on an uneven wooden floor in 100+ degree temps...

and then being so hot and exhausted you can't think straight and you have the harmonic balancer 90% onto the crank only to realize you have it on backwards! Pull it back off and then it fights you going back on until finally surrendering and popping it back off to wait for a cooler day!

On a positive note, the engine is in between the frames rails for good (fingers crossed!!) and the fan clutch came out pretty nice....

a bit of yellow zinc chromate on the center section section and some black on the spring and rear mounting foot and she'll look like new!

My butt was draggin' and there were a couple cold ones in the fridge calling out my name so I called it a day before I passed out from heat stroke!!!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 14-August-2016 at 11:00AM
TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2016 at 11:20AM
that looks damn nice joe! try a couple of fans in there, i know it's not much help but moving air helps a little. BTW how the hell do put a harmonic balancer on backwards??? Shocked
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Paul100ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul100ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2016 at 4:05AM
nice......
Nothing stops this train.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2016 at 11:08AM

Well after taking last weekend off to have some medical tests performed, I was back after it this weekend! Another scorcher upstairs but was able to make a bit of progress. Checked in all my goodies from Summit...

installed the fuel line onto the carb...

torqued the flywheel in place...

put a quart of transmission fluid into the torque converter...

repaired the threads in my crank snout and got the harmonic balancer installed correctly (amazing how easily things go together with the right tools!)....

then fought for two hours the transmission/jack/engine/floor before finally calling NO JOY and pulling the engine and transmission back out of the car and hooking them together on the floor.

I'll torque everything together next weekend and install the engine and transmission as an assembly. Hopefully won't be quite as big a battle as this weekend was!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 27-August-2016 at 11:11AM
TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 38>
  Share Topic