The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project TV 2M8O

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 42>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2019 at 11:52AM
I would take the belt off and in the center of the pulley is a spot for a hex drive. I put a hex (don't remember the size) on the end of a drill and run it. Have someone "slowly" turn the steering wheel. You should feel on the drill end the pump working (have the front end up when doing this). In some cases depending on the torque of your drill turning the wheel might even stop the drill (so hold on tight)
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2019 at 12:29PM
If it was cycled through the stops I can't see it getting air in the system again. Is the pump installed correctly in the reservoir? Not sure if it could be installed on the engine that way but is something to consider. 
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2019 at 2:27AM
OK guys, I'm trying to devise a way I can watch/cycle/fill the power steering system solo because I'm tired of waiting on help that just seems to push my project farther and farther behind. What I'm envisioning (and correct me if my thinking is incorrect) is..... Geek temporarily replace the return line from the cooler and the return inlet on the pump with a clear piece of hose to monitor the fluid flow and fluid state (foamy/fluid) and also to insert a clear piece of clear tubing tightly into the pump fill tube with a reservoir on top to monitor fluid level.

My first step would be insert the clear hose between the ps cooler and the pump, install and pour fluid into the "fill reservoir" and start the engine. (At idle, I should be able to see the fluid flow thru the system "at rest" correct?) Keep watch on the fluid level/flow until it looks like there is no more foam/air in the line.

Once the fluid is running clear, S L O W L Y cycle the steering from stop to stop, keeping an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir, until I can feel steering assist and the fluid once more flows clear.

When fluid is flowing clear, set the wheels back on the ground and confirm steering assist. If everything is good, syphon fluid from reservoir and fill tube, remove clear return line from cooler to pump and reinstall normal return line, start engine and check pump fluid level and top off as necessary.

Am I on the right track?

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2019 at 3:13AM
You are making this out to be way more than it is. Fill it, run it, cycle the steering, engine off, check fluid level, and close hood.

The factory didn't spend more than four or five minutes on the steering, if that. They had too much to do and it was allotted x amount of time per station.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2019 at 6:02AM
I think your method will work, but I have kind of always followed John's method above for P/S.  Fill, cycle it back and forth and go.  I have never had an issue using this method.  But in your case, maybe the pump is bad, so the clear hose may help to see if it is actually pumping fluid.  When you cycle the wheels back and forth you should hear the pump working. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2019 at 6:58AM
 I have a funny feeling the pump is installed upside down in the reservoir. Will look in the manual in a bit.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2019 at 7:36AM
It sure looks like it can be installed incorrectly in the reservoir.My camera is terrible. Sorry about that.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2019 at 11:45AM
John,

Digging back thru my pictures of the pump disassembly and reassembly, I came across these two....

this one is with the pulley and bracket removed but the reservoir has yet to be popped off the pump. With the large square boss at 12 o'clock, it looks like the fill tube is between 10 & 11....

here the rebuilt pump is with the reservoir and bracket reattached but the pulley is not in place just yet. Looks like the square boss is again at 12 and the fill tube is just before that....

so I think the pump is in the can correctly. Do you agree???

I appreciate your input and did just as you suggested a few times before setting back down on all fours which is why I'm trying to determine if the issue is the pump or the Lares quick ratio steering box since both are new or rebuilt parts.

Again my thanks....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2019 at 12:45PM
Looks right to me. Sucks that you have o deal with it. Do you have a spare pump you could try? I am no expert by any means but would try a small camera in the filler tube first rather than a clear hose on the return. Did you build the pump? Not sure if the pump housing assemble can be installed 180 degrees from where is should be or not. Hard to tell in this pic.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2019 at 12:48PM
 Pic shows two pump internals. One has fitting in center, the other is iff to the side.

I am leaning towards the pump being the issue. If it were the steering gear, the pump would be dragging the rpms down a bit and/or squealing bad. Almost like a slipping belt.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2019 at 1:02PM
You could put a cap on the return fitting on the reservoir and extend the hose enough to put an end in a can. Remove the coil wire and use a remote starter switch to bump the engine a couple of turns. If the pump is working, you will know pretty quickly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2019 at 2:15PM
I am not certain as to whether or not it can be assembled backwards. These are from a youtube video. I am hoping it is the pump for your sake. 
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2019 at 5:51PM
idk those pumps are pretty simple... i rebuilt my original one $12 kit from car quest, then i ground down the square tab to gain more clearance for belt adjustment with my billet bracket (not good as i ground through an oil passage there welded it back up but it always seeped!!! thought it was the reservoir o ring!!!) just turned it in for a core for another rebuilt unit Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2019 at 5:52PM
could be a check valve issue somewhere???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2019 at 11:49PM
Has to be something simple with lots of pain involved. Lol
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2019 at 9:19AM
I hope that I'm wrong, but could it be that one of the plastic line plugs on the steering box is still in place?

If so, that would be something I would do. "Dooahh"
"Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually UNinventing the wheel"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2019 at 10:10AM
That would make that pump scream. I am betting on the pump being no good. 
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2019 at 11:22AM
Originally posted by mkshelton mkshelton wrote:

I hope that I'm wrong, but could it be that one of the plastic line plugs on the steering box is still in place?
If so, that would be something I would do. "Dooahh"

Pretty sure I had to remove the plugs to screw the hoses into the ports.........

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Rons73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rons73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2019 at 11:58AM
Tough when you are dealing with a problem that has more than one unknown component for sure. The pump is probably the only one you can troubleshoot at all but it might get messy. I would plug/deadhead the pressure port or line and try to turn the pump by hand or with an angle drive drill or whatever you have clearance for. The pump should really stop/resist your efforts if working. Perhaps the bypass valve is faulty, giving you some fluid flow, but no pressure for assist?
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2019 at 11:58AM
A bit of digging back thru the forum and I came across this link to a Ford Power Steering Pump Diagnosis and Testing manual....

Going to print it out tomorrow and read thru it hoping for a solution before pulling the pump off and going thru her again.....Ouch

Thanks all!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2019 at 5:22AM
From what I've read in all the possible suggestions I've gotten, I'm leaning towards the issue being with the pump because it's not making ANY noises that it should if there's a restriction elsewhere. Pretty sure I followed the rebuild directions to the letter but I could have misinterpreted something it said to do. gonna pull it off and try again tomorrow......

Wish me luck!! 

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2019 at 9:14AM
Watch a YouTube video, there are some good ones that may give you the answer quickly. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2019 at 9:14AM
And good luck. 
Rons73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rons73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2019 at 10:01AM
Hope it is something simple! Good luck!
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2019 at 12:14PM
Good luck Joe, hopefully it's just something small inside the pump.  I don't suppose you have a working old pump to swap out?

Worst case scenario, it looks like the pumps are still readily available.  Even Lares has one.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2019 at 12:26PM
yes you can get a rebuilt one pretty reasonable i think mine was $30-40? get it without the reservoir can!!! it's way cheaper!!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2019 at 8:40AM
Well after pulling everything of the driver side of the engine to get the power steering pump out...

I called the patient expired at 2:32pm today. Seems the pump valve assembly is seized in the pump housing...

Tried to knock it out, but that baby is in there!! Time to just order a reman.....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2019 at 9:11AM
Well done doc.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2019 at 9:12AM
Parts store has the pump in stock, get it done.  😉
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2019 at 9:23AM
Lares 2014 reman pump ordered......

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 42>