The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project TV 2M8O

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 333435
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
starsky460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2017 at 7:00AM
No problem Joe. Ya' know we are just like car seats.....we go way back
Carl
1976 Gran Torino Starsky & Hutch Limited Edition
FACTORY 460 c.u. engine
3:55 gears
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2017 at 1:41PM
**CLICK ON PICS TO ENLARGE AND CLICK AGAIN TO SUPERSIZE**

This is a long update so it will encompass several posts so hang tough!!

PART 1

Several frustrating weeks...

After braking apart the engine and transmission, I had to wait for a buddy (Starsky460) to send me a second motor plate so I could double them up for support of the starter without the transmission mated to the engine. While I waited on it to arrive, I blasted...

detailed...

and mounted the fresh air intake to the core support...

mounted the dual horns...

and the lower and upper rubber radiator supports (not sure yet if I like the bright fasteners??)...

(go to PART 2)

Edited by TV 2M8O - 28-June-2017 at 11:07PM
[IMG]TO BE RELOADED[IMG]
TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2017 at 1:46PM

PART 2 

When the motor plate arrived, my buddy Jim and I got the double plates, flywheel and starter mounted up only to discover we had VERY LITTLE clearance between the starter snout and the flywheel, so we pulled it back off and I filed away some material to gain a bit more daylight between the parts...

With the starter remounted, we gave it a bump to see how much deflection we were getting during engagement. Wasn't too bad, so we tried several different locations until we ...found the best location to brace the motor plate to minimize the flexing, then we gave her a good spin and noticed the starter gear wasn't fully retracting upon release. We played around with relocating the bracing without too much success, so we thought we'd try and light her off to see if the gear would retract under load.
We spent a long time trying to get her to start without success.... we weren't getting any fuel! Frigged around and finally determined the new fuel pump might have failed, so we reinstalled the old one to see if that would work, but evidently the diaphragm was shot in that one as well. We called several local parts stores, but none had anything in stock..... guess there's not much demand anymore for a three port, 460 Ford mechanical fuel pump! LOL

We pulled off the high torque mini starter to see how it operated compared to the original and the first noticeable difference was the WEIGHT.... the mini starter weighed nothing compared to the factory starter! We then applied voltage to the mini and noticed that the bendix gear had a slight dribble to it upon extension, but seemed to snap back as soon as voltage was removed.

https://youtu.be/MVlX1vpzplI

The original starter seemed to be operating in slow motion compared to it's miniature cousin, so I'm guessing there is a misalignment between the starter centerline and the crank centerline causing the binding of the gear and flywheel.

I ordered a new fuel pump from RockAuto and the following weekend, we replaced the fuel pump, fed her some REAL gas and then lit off the engine without the tranny and the temporary shims in place and the noise was gone! So we proceeded to reassemble everything.

Lit her off again once reassembled and be damned if the chirp wasn't back!!! 😡 Jim suggested we put the temporary shims back in and see what happens, so we pulled the starter, added the two temporary shims and tried her again....

IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After several frustrating weeks, we have finally resolved the issue.... seems the snout of the aftermarket, mini high torque starter was a bit too deep and the flywheel was ever so slightly rubbing the starter gear causing the chirp. TA DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 28-June-2017 at 11:07PM
[IMG]TO BE RELOADED[IMG]
TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2017 at 2:16PM

This is the last part of this update post!!

PART 3 

Before calling it a day, I temporarily installed the AC dryer to confirm it will clear the fresh air intake when mounted below the battery since a few members questioned whether I had it installed correctly...

everything seems it should be OK (perhaps a slight tweak here or there!).

I'll order the starter shim from RockAuto and install it when it arrives and that should put all engine issues aside... now to get back on track and get her all prepared for going back to Far From Factory for final bodywork and paint!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 28-June-2017 at 2:18PM
[IMG]TO BE RELOADED[IMG]
TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
starsky460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2017 at 3:06PM
Joe,
did you blast the air tube with black beauty, or something else?   As usual, the project looks greatSmileSmile

Edited by starsky460 - 28-June-2017 at 3:06PM
Carl
1976 Gran Torino Starsky & Hutch Limited Edition
FACTORY 460 c.u. engine
3:55 gears
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2017 at 11:03PM
Carl,

Yeah, the media in our blast cabinet is ready for changing because it's now very fine and has lost most of it's aggressiveness on the heavy paint and rust, but it was ideal for knocking off the dirt and crud from the air tube. Blew it off, wiped it down with lacquer thinner then hit it with a misting coat of Eastwood Satin Black chassis paint. Think it turned out pretty nice!

Thanks buddy
[IMG]TO BE RELOADED[IMG]
TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2017 at 3:06AM
looks great joe! glad you got rid of those crickets Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2017 at 7:00AM

Some progress this weekend... my parts arrived last week...

so I was able to get the starter remounted and the blanket back in place...

the carb to PCV line and the distribution block installed.

Refired the engine to insure the chirp had not returned and all was good!

I also got the rearend filled with the gear oil and trac-loc additive as well as the vent line installed.

I started to install the master cylinder to proportioning valve hard lines only to discover Inline Tube Co had send me a line with the incorrect prop valve fitting, so that hamstrung that install until I can get the correct line.

All in all a pretty good weekend!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 09-July-2017 at 7:07AM
[IMG]TO BE RELOADED[IMG]
TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2017 at 3:16PM
Clap gettin' there buddy!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2017 at 11:36AM

Well after sitting for a week, I hooked up the battery and gave her a spin......

lit off on the first crank and took gas without hesitation! I hope she continues to light off and be as responsive as she is right now!

Another semi productive weekend. We got the corrected fittings onto the master cylinder to proportioning valve hard lines and got them installed...

the vacuum canister installed onto the driver side wheelhouse...

and got the parking brake cables partially installed. Need to get some hardware and brackets plated...

I have everything in place as shown in the Shop Manual, but laying there looking at it, it doesn't look like it would work smoothly... but everyone  who has looked at it says it's correct, so I'll get her buttoned up once I get the plated bits back.

Next weekend I'll get back to finishing up blasting the hood and get started on the deck lid and driver side front fender so they'll be all ready for the guys at Far From Factory once it's back in their hands.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 16-July-2017 at 11:55AM
[IMG]TO BE RELOADED[IMG]
TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Paul100ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul100ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2017 at 4:07AM
beauty
Nothing stops this train.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2017 at 12:43PM

PART ONE......
Been several weeks since I've updated so I thought I would bring everyone up to speed. Nothing major but a lot of incidental items addressed....

My life saver arrived and it made a world of difference handling the high temps upstairs at the dealership!

I got the drivers seat temporarily installed,

the driver side wheelhouse reinstalled...

and started pulling out the power systems harness (seat, windows, locks, rw defroster) to determine which firewall opening need to be plugged and how the harness runs thru the vehicle.

After looking at what was there, I put the harnesses back into the protective plastic and then broke down the power antenna setup and wrapped the wiring in convoluted conduit...

painted the mounting bracket...

repaired the stop light switch harness and wrapped it in convoluted conduit and modified the Fiero vacuum canister mounting foot for use on the driver side wheelhouse...

assembled and painted the headlight bucket mounting plates and the overflow bottle mounting bracket...

blasted and detailed the inner fender vertical liners...

and applied the first coat of seam sealer to the passenger door....

continued on PART 2.....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 16-August-2017 at 12:47PM
[IMG]TO BE RELOADED[IMG]
TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2017 at 12:48PM

PART TWO......

My Ford hardware catalog also arrived and boy does it make a world of difference looking up the correct hardware to use reassembling your favorite FOMOCO!! A must have for doing it right...

The following weekend, I pulled both front wheelhouses and the core support back off so I could easily access the 3G alternator and determine what modifications I needed to make to get it positioned correctly on the 460. Got the stock spacers shimmed or trimmed as necessary and need to have one more small spacer made to utilize all the factory brackets and lower swing arm without modifications.

Also got a couple areas at the corners of the package tray ready to seam seal.

Last weekend I bled the master cylinder...

finished fabricating the necessary spacers for the 3G alternator conversion and got it mocked up...

hit the tail light fillers and the windshield supports with a coat of Plastic Dip...

and made a bracket to mount the locking hood release. The drill bit I needed to use to drill the bracket was broken so I pulled out the ole Drill Doctor and cut a new tip on it and was good as new. Everyone should own a drill doctor if you do much drilling!!

Sunday, I got the front rims dropped off to Irwin Polishing to have them buffed out and made all brite and shiny again!

Stay tuned for further updates...

ZEBRA 3 OUT

Edited by TV 2M8O - 16-August-2017 at 12:52PM
[IMG]TO BE RELOADED[IMG]
TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2017 at 4:28PM
Clap gettin' there joe!! plastidip on the tail light fillers is a good idea! i just cleaned mine with lacquer thinner
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2017 at 7:55AM

More little stuff taken care of... got the center brace, hood latch and siren brackets installed onto the core support...

the jumper installed between the distribution block and the starter solenoid (sadly the seller didn't read my full message so I'll have to change the heat shrink to black)...

removed the tail light fillers and the windshield stops out of the spray booth...

installed the locking hood release...

and got about 90% of the hood blasted.

On my way home, I stopped at O'Reilly's and picked up a couple rolls of #16 ga wire so I can make a jumper for the dual horns as well as tapping the 3G alternator harness so I can connect it to the factory harness.

More baby steps toward getting her ready to turn back over to the crew at Far From Factory for final bodywork and paint!!

Stay tuned.....

ZEBRA 3 OUT

Edited by TV 2M8O - 20-August-2017 at 7:57AM
[IMG]TO BE RELOADED[IMG]
TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2017 at 12:32PM
You are doing a great job! Makes me what to "freshen up" the 74 ranchero (been 18 years since it's resto) can't wait to see it done and on the road. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2017 at 3:07PM
lookin' good joe! Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 333435
  Share Topic