The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project TV 2M8O

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 41>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2017 at 7:24AM
**CLICK ON PICS TO ENLARGE AND CLICK AGAIN TO SUPERSIZE**

Well on the Torino front, not much progress this weekend. I did get the charcoal canister rehung...

and added a few more quarts of fluid to the C6 on the recommendation of my transmission guy.

I added the desiccant filter to the blast gun without much success, but then again I didn't spend much time trying to debug it because I was helping my buddy install new vent pipe on the oil burner furnace at the dealership.

Hopefully I can get it figured out next weekend and wrap up the deck lid stripping and get started on the driver side fender.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 19-November-2017 at 7:25AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2017 at 7:34AM
looks good so far joe keep at it buddy! Big smile wish i was closer... i'd give you a hand with things
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2017 at 12:06PM
Looking great Joe! 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2017 at 8:05AM

FINALLY a bit of progress!

After messing with the oil/water traps in the blast booth for a bit (have been neglected for years and I need to order some additional pieces)...

I attached a longer air hose to the blast cabinet air line and pulled it into the blast booth and attached it to my new sand blast gun.

Was able to get about half of the underside of the deck lid blasted before running out of sand...

so next weekend I'll be vacuuming up and sifting the sand in the blast booth before wrapping up the deck lid and moving on to the next piece.
I also blasted a few parts in the blast cabinet before calling it a day.

I guess the problem with my old sandblaster was that it was just wore out after may years of faithful service. I also converted my new gun from a siphon tube style to siphoning the sand from the bottom outlet of my old sandblaster hopper. Was working really well until the sand was depleted....

Fingers crossed that I get the deck lid finished and can get started blasting on the LAST major piece of sheet metal... the driver side front fender.

Until next episode...

Edited by TV 2M8O - 26-November-2017 at 8:12AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2017 at 7:20PM
the end is in site joe! keep at it buddy Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2017 at 6:24AM

More progress this weekend.... vacuumed up the sand, sifted and reloaded the hopper and got the underside of the deck lid blasted. Kinda a short day because had to get home and cleaned up for the company Christmas party.

Need to get all the remnants of the jacking instructions removed and hit a few areas inside the bracing before treating the hidden areas with Eastwood Rust Converter, applying some POR-15 to the inner seam areas and then applying new seam sealer.

Will get the decal and inner structure taken care of next weekend and the get started blasting the driver side fender....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 03-December-2017 at 6:49AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2017 at 7:36AM
what all do you have left to strip joe?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2017 at 8:10AM
Just the driver side fender, then I can start getting her ready to go back for final bodywork and paint!!

While she's gone, I need to blast and lighten up the bumper reinforcements and that should be the end of all the big stuff!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2017 at 12:42PM
Clap i had a brainstorm about a week ago...thinking about having the local machine shop bend a reinforcement out of 1/4" aluminum sheet Wink then i can trim and TIG on some formed flat bar for the bumper bolts and maybe the end brackets wouldn't be cheap but would be hella light!Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2017 at 7:18AM

Well Saturday went extremely well! Took a scotch-brite wheel to knock down the jacking instruction decal then proceeded to finish blasting the underside of the deck lid...

then propped it up on the panel stand...

and spent about an hour vacuuming the sand out of the inner structure! LOL, I think I got about 99% of it.

Set it out of the blast booth, filled the hopper and moved the driver side fender into the booth and started on the back side first. It's actually fun and therapeutic when everything works as it should! Just had to bump the hopper a few times as the media level got low to loosen the sand up a bit so it would cascade to the bottom. Got about 75% of the backside finished before running out of sand...

Knocking off the undercoating takes a bit of time and material, but it slowly yields to the sand! LOL

Next weekend will begin with vacuuming and sifting the media (one last time hopefully) and hitting the fender backside until clean and then flipping her over and doing the outside!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 10-December-2017 at 7:49AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2017 at 9:32AM
Clap yah gettin' there joe!!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2017 at 9:32AM

Well Saturday wasn't as productive as I had hoped. I got all the sand vacuumed up and sifted into three 5 gallon containers ready for use and thought I'd change the desiccant filter on the blast gun before getting underway.

I pulled the old filter off and installed the new one onto the gun and set it on the fender awaiting getting the blast hopper filled and the fun underway. As I filled the hopper and moved it into position to begin, I inadvertently knocked/pulled the gun off the fender and busted the brand new filter! I checked the old one and it looked to have a bit of life left in it (the desiccant beads hadn't fully changed colors yet) so I bit the bullet and reinstalled it.

Well it wasn't long until I was fighting the moist air situation of the media not picking up as it should, but I endured and got the majority of the backside of the fender blasted.

Whoever was working the undercoating the day my fender was coated put a nice heavy coat on the area behind the wheel well because the media wasn't cutting it like it did on the nose of the fender... not sure if it was that much heavier or the sand not being fed to the gun as it should, so I'll make a run to Harbor Freight and pick up three or four of the inline filters and hit it again once the flow is back up to speed and see how it does. After 40+ years and still adhering that well, I may just leave it alone.
Also need to reposition the lights a bit so I can see better into the fender back side as I'm blasting because I see a few areas that still need addressed....

Until next time......

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

Edited by TV 2M8O - 17-December-2017 at 9:35AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2017 at 7:21PM
getting there joe. you mean the asphalt undercoating? i wouldn't trust it! i've noticed on these cars i've parted out the undercoating looked fine but if a tiny spot of moisture got under it in a spot and held it there rotting through to small hole in that area with the rest around it being fine Shocked
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2017 at 9:21AM

Well more progress today... got the power antenna shield mounted onto the plastic fender liner...

cleaned the coolant overflow bottle (need to find something to bleach the plastic back to it's natural color)...

and got the undercoating of the back of the driver fender (had to use a putty knife and a scotch brite pad)...

and got the backside completely blasted and started on the outside of the fender. Got the hood return...

fender top...

nose section back to and around the wheel opening.

Will get the rest of that knocked out next weekend and then I'll treat all the naked sheet metal with Ospho to protect it until it's time to shoot the primer.... not much longer now!!!!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 31-December-2017 at 9:23AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2018 at 9:09AM
great work and keep the progress going ! 
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2018 at 9:48AM

In spite of the bitterly cold temperature upstairs at the dealership (I could see my breath), I almost finished the driver side fender... As usual with my luck, got to the 5 yard line and then had to punt! LOL got all but the lower corner of the fender stripped before running out of sand...

so next weekend will begin with sucking and sifting the sand one more time!

Once the driver side fender and the material for the patch panel for the passenger side fender is finished , I'll begin the process of addressing any rusted areas using Eastwood's Rust Converter, followed by a coat of POR-15, then a coat of Eastwood Chassis Black. Any areas prone to collecting debris will receive a coat of Eastwood Rubberized Undercoating.

Once the fender backsides are done, I'll move on to applying a coating of Ospho to the bare sheet metal areas as protection from surface rust as well as a metal prep for first coat of primer. Then I can begin to reassemble the body in preparation for turning the Tomato over to the bodyshop.

Since Far From Factory has closed, I'll see what kind of home facilities Adam has to confim they are adequate for the final bodywork and paint. If they are found lacking, then the arduous task of finding a suitable facility to wrap up the next phase of the project will commence....

Wish me luck!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 07-January-2018 at 9:50AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2018 at 11:40AM
fingers crossed for ya joe Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2018 at 2:37PM

Well success today in finishing up the driver side fender...

as well as blasting a section of fender material to be used for patching purposes.

Discovered a bit of cancer starting in the lower rear corner of the fender...

so it will need to be cut out and patched like the passenger side fender.

Got the hood back up on the panel stand and removed the Gorilla tape I used to try and keep the sand out of the hood structure....

The tape survived the blasting with flying colors and was still sticking VERY well, so I must endorse the Gorilla tape for all your heavy duty taping projects! LOL
The air was extremely damp today, so I was unable to use the angle head grinder for very long before it would stop working, so I finished cleaning up the sand from the blast room so I would have a clean environment to work in next weekend. I'll put a desiccant filter on the angle head and see if that helps with it's operation so I can finish removing the paint from the underside of the hood and then begin the task of cleaning and treating the raw sheet metal with Ospho to protect it until it's time for paint.... NOT MUCH LONGER NOW (fingers crossed!!)

I also stopped at AutoZone on my way in to the dealership this morning and picked up a couple heater hoses so I could make a bypass hose for the heater circuit until it's time to reinstall the HVAC system back into the Tomato...

Need to trim and splice them together and she'll be good to go......

Edited by TV 2M8O - 13-January-2018 at 3:00PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2018 at 7:09PM
Clap
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2018 at 4:39AM

Well the bottom of the hood is done...

which means now all the sheet metal has been blasted and ready to be treated with Ospho.

Looks like the underside of the hood is going to need some attention along the passenger side outer rib...

and up along the latch area on the nose.

Gotta give Gorilla credit for the adhesive properties of their tape... MAN that stuff was stuck and a real PITA to remove! Ended up using lacquer thinner and a wire brush chucked into a drill to get it off, but I was ultimately successful.

Now to get the panels treated, all the metal hung and then send her off to the body shop.....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 21-January-2018 at 4:41AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2018 at 6:10AM
how the hell did they cause that severe of a dent in that area?Shocked i looked at a dented hood i have but that area by the latch is rotted badCry
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2018 at 10:21PM
John,

Kinda looks as if it was hammered down for clearance of something once upon a time???

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2018 at 11:01AM
Had one of those kinda dents on the montego hood. It was from someone trying to pry it open. 
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2018 at 8:39AM

Productive day today... got the underside of the hood

and deck lid coated

with Ospho as well as both headlight buckets,

the grill header and front bumper steel sight shield.

Also painted a couple brackets and pulled out the NOS C6 cooling pan I got this week...

NICE!

Next, I'll flip the hood and deck lid and coat the top sides with Ospho and start gathering up the hardware to start rehanging the sheet metal for the trip to the body shop.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 28-January-2018 at 8:41AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2018 at 1:26AM

Last weekend, I took a little hiatus to run up to North Canton, Ohio to pick up this little filly and bring her home with me...

Made a bit more progress this weekend as I got the top side of the hood and deck lid, along with the rest (98%??) of the sheet metal, prepped with Ospho...

Now the snipe hunt begins to find all the fasteners to get the panels rehung and the Tomato off to the body shop!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 11-February-2018 at 1:29AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2018 at 6:04AM
try these guys!  http://www.amkproducts.com/
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2018 at 6:33AM
Originally posted by Dan the ranchero man Dan the ranchero man wrote:

try these guys!  http://www.amkproducts.com/

Dan, I meant in my parts cache... tho AMK is where I go to replace unusable or missing hardware. Thanks for the link!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2018 at 5:55PM
i had hoped you put them in ziplock bags and wrote on them with a sharpie? some laughed at my idea but it pays dividends at a time like this!!! and keep all the bags in one big box Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2018 at 10:06PM
I either ziplock and tag them or leave them threaded into the part, but I remember taking the large fender washers and bolts out as I was prepping the fenders and not too sure where I put them. Pretty sure I have already blasted them so I'll spend this weekend getting all the hardware and associated bracketry located and laid out for rehanging the sheet metal.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2018 at 4:55PM
Joe, you mean the large washers that go under the fenderwells?
If you need any let me know i saved several from those parts cars just in case someone needs any

Edited by californiajohnny - 20-February-2018 at 4:56PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 41>