The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project TV 2M8O

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 41>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2018 at 9:26AM
**CLICK ON PICS TO ENLARGE AND CLICK AGAIN TO SUPERSIZE**

Have had somewhat of a necessary break in progress the past few weeks as I've had to stay home and keep an eye on my Mom who is slowly slipping away from us. But there has been some progress and I was able to go over today and do a bit of work on the Tomato....

Last weekend at home, I was able to get all the necessary pieces to assemble my temporary heater bypass hose...

and this weekend I was able to finally heat shrink the hose clamp and get the hose loosely fitted to the engine...

dry fit the driver side wheelhouse to the fender to get an idea of what hardware I need...

painted the wheelhouse to fender washers...

blasted, wire wheeled and got the first coat of bluing on the headlight adjustment springs...

and cruise control mounting bracket nuts...

and got a coat of chassis black on the backside of the headlight buckets and grill header panel.

This week I'll order the necessary hardware I'll need to get the fenders, headlight buckets and header panel remounted to the car and I'll be one step closer to turning her back over to the body shop for final bodywork and paint!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 04-May-2019 at 10:20AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2018 at 9:58AM
Looks great man keep up the good work. I have done a couple of frame off resto's and it can get very overwhelming with all the parts getting cleaned and hardware to locate/clean. Can't wait to see it done! 
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2018 at 1:07AM

Well after a short hiatus to deal with the loss of my Mom, I was able to get over to the dealership this weekend and do a little bit. I got the passenger door reinstalled and rehung both front wheelhouses and fenders....

Several loose ends to tie up before she'll be ready to head back for final bodywork and paint!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 08-April-2018 at 1:09AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2018 at 4:22AM
  looking good joe!!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2018 at 7:59AM
Looks awesome Joe!  Very sorry to hear about your mother.  I have been there and it's not easy.

What's the best way to remove the front and mount the front fenders?  Remove the fenders and wheelhouse as one unit, or separately?  I see you attached the wheelhouses before you put the fenders back on.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
T-Bird_79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote T-Bird_79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2018 at 8:28AM
Looking really good. I like Your attention to details.Thumbs Up
Andris
1979 Ford Thunderbird
1977 Opel Commodore Coupe Euro personal luxury car
1969 Vauxhall Viva small American
1989 Opel Kadett GSi 16V known as Pontiac LeMans
1978 Moskvitch 412 Soviet rally
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2018 at 5:11AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Looks awesome Joe!  Very sorry to hear about your mother.  I have been there and it's not easy.
What's the best way to remove the front and mount the front fenders?  Remove the fenders and wheelhouse as one unit, or separately?  I see you attached the wheelhouses before you put the fenders back on.

Vince, first thanks for your condolences. Mom lived with us so we're faced with the new norm everyday and it's still odd for her not to be around. Cry

During disassembly, I removed the fenders and left the wheelhouses in place. For the reassembly of the front sheet metal for delivery back to the body shop, on the driver side I hung the wheelhouse to the fender (loosely) and fit the assembly to the car (heavy!). On the passenger side, I fit the wheelhouse then maneuvered the fender into position (lighter but had to fight to align fender hardware).

Both ways were a chore hanging solo, but I think for final assembly, it would be preferred to hang the wheelhouse onto the fender loosely so all the fasteners into the fender can be started to alleviate alignment issues and scratching/damaging the final paint. PLUS, it's definitely a two man job!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2018 at 11:32AM
 what?! i did mine by myself CryLOLWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2018 at 6:06AM
Couple of NO PIC weekends recently, but there was some progress made....

Last weekend,  I got the lower front fender to core support brackets mounted as well as the lower fender to rocker panel hardware installed. I then started gathering up all my exterior trim... found it all but the two pieces on either side of the gas door before calling it a day.

This weekend, I changed out the hood latch support brace with a nicer one, checked under the car for leaks and noticed a couple small puddles at each end of the oil pan (will re-torque the pan bolts to see if that stops the drips) and reinstalled the battery and reconnected all the wiring and lit off the engine after it's long winter nap.

Took a few tries, but once she got fuel, she roared to life. It still amazes me how quickly this thing lights off... I think you hit the key and the very next cylinder brings it to life!  I checked the high output alternator belt as it was running and it appears I got the pulleys in perfect alignment! Thumbs Up

I then pulled out the AC dryer canister and looked at getting it installed along with the fuse block for the high output alternator. Looks like I'll be doing a bit of custom work next weekend getting everything located and looking OEM as well as searching for my missing trim pieces!!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 22-April-2018 at 6:08AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2018 at 7:03AM
progress is good! (i guess we can live without pics...for now CryLOL)
let me know if you can't find the trim... i have a couple good sets available Wink

BTW glad you got the penguin fixed Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2018 at 9:12AM

This weekend, got the AC dryer mounted so I could determine where to mount the high output alternator fuse block. Got the block mounted as well as cutting and terminating the #4 alternator feed wire and covered it's clear jacket with black heat shrink along with the jumper wire up to the starter solenoid. Also shot a few pics of the process just so you guys know I'm really doing something.....

Next weekend, I'll blast and detail the AC dryer and get a few more little things checked off the TO DO list. I also have a body guy coming by to have a look and give me some numbers for the final body and paint. Fingers crossed it doesn't cut too deeply into the savings account!!!!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 29-April-2018 at 9:15AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2018 at 10:37AM
oh good, that canister sticks out like a sore thumb LOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2018 at 12:17PM
Come on John..... you know I'll make it look good as new before I'm done!! Wink

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2018 at 3:16PM
Thumbs Up if you didn't i'd never let you live that down! not after all the work you've put into this car Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2018 at 9:25AM

Been another couple weeks since I last updated so here's what's happened....

Weekend before last, I talked with the former painter at Far From Factory about final paint and bodywork and got the numbers to get her straight and shot, got the high output alternator charging cables....

the cruise control servo bracket reinstalled...

and blasted and painted the AC dryer.

Then home for date night with my lovely wife!

Last weekend, I trimmed and fit the battery mat to the tray and got a list together for the hardware I needed to order from AMK Products.

The hardware arrived from AML last week,

so this weekend, so I started pulling everything back apart to get the correct hardware installed and take care of any unresolved issues. First on the agenda was to get the fender to door opening filler panels taken care of, I created the templates to cut the rubber seals to close up the gap between the Torino fender profile and the Cougar panel profile and designed a retainer clip to secure the top of the fillers to the fender retention slotted opening....

Next week I hope to get the seals and clips cut so I can get the fenders rehung and the headlight buckets and header panel installed.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 20-May-2018 at 9:29AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2018 at 4:18PM
looks good joe! so is he still onboard to paint it for you???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2018 at 10:26PM
YEP... eager to do so!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2018 at 6:23AM

Well it's been a few weeks so I thought I'd better bring things up to date before something fell thru the cracks....

Weekend before last was a short day so we could attend the wedding of my wife's best friend, but I did get the passenger side front fender baffle about 95% completed. Got the rubber seals cut for both sides...

added J nuts to the power antenna lower bracket for mounting...

drilled out the fender baffle mounting screws for clearance of the antenna bracket mounting bolts and got everything mounted into positioned...

so I could design, cut and form the top baffle clip...

and cut as well as laying out the clip for the driver side baffle.

Last weekend I had to hang around the house to wait for some furniture to be delivered before heading out to my older brother's 50th wedding anniversary, but thru the week I did get my vacuum lines cleaned up so I could determine what could be reused and what needed to be replaced...

This weekend, I wire wheeled the intake vacuum port in preparation for replating…

got the bracket made for the driver side wheel liner, blasted both brackets and painted them, replaced the hinge bolts with the new ones from AMK, hung the power steering cooler on the core support...

and mounted the two Dynamax sirens to insure they didn't interfere with the cooler.

I fired up the 460 to put a bit of heat in the block to help evaporate the remaining coolant. Noticed I have drain plugs in the block so next weekend I'm gonna try and remove them to see if the remaining coolant will drain out so I can get ready to install the radiator and fill it with the Evans waterless coolant.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 10-June-2018 at 6:28AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2018 at 7:30AM
Clap
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2018 at 9:10AM
72 GT Ute

TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2018 at 10:12AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

https://www.evanscoolant.com/products/prep-fluid/

Thanks Max, I'll keep this in mind if the drain plugs won't budge.

The engine was on an engine stand and rolled over numerous times with the intake off, so my thoughts were that there couldn't be much of the coolant remaining in the block, but each time I start it briefly, there is steam coming out of the upper radiator hose opening (no hoses attached at this time) Hopefully the drains will screw out easily and I can get the majority of the remaining antifreeze out of the block before filling with the Evans.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2018 at 10:20AM
i'd do the flush regardless to remove any dry glycol residue all through the system

for the $ of the Evans what's another $25 ?

for that matter i'd start it with water until i was Censored sure no leaks tweaks or changes before filling with Evans
72 GT Ute

TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2018 at 11:27AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

i'd do the flush regardless to remove any dry glycol residue all through the system for the $ of the Evans what's another $25? for that matter i'd start it with water until i was Censored sure no leaks tweaks or changes before filling with Evans

Max,

GOOD IDEA... think I may just fill the system with the flush and let that serve as my leak detection before draining and filling with the coolant!

That's what is so great about this forum.... other ideas and suggestion that you might not have come up with on your own!!

THANKS

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2018 at 11:47AM
 i'd agree!

if the plugs don't budge... you may need a little torch heat on the end then let it "soak in" and they should come out! not enough to burn the paint though
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2018 at 2:00PM
you're not gonna like the process for a painted motor, but Yes you heat the plugs almost glowing and when they cool the contract themselves loose. i wouldn't wait for them to cool completely though, i'd get right on them while they're smokin

clean / chase threads & replace with brass plugs / anti-seize

or just run the flush & wait till there's no other option to BBQ the sides of the block

with minimal or no heat, give them a little taste in the direction of tightening before trying to loosen

and use a proper socket, 4 point for a square head etc

Edited by Rockatansky - 10-June-2018 at 2:03PM
72 GT Ute

TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2018 at 12:15PM
Digging back thru my project pictures and I don't seem to have a clear picture of where this vacuum port was mounted on my 460 intake....

anyone have a clear shot they can share of it's installed location?

THANKS

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2018 at 12:36PM
IIRC, it goes into the intake manifold runner going to cylinder #4 or where #4 and #8 intersect at the very back of the intake, but in front of block's oil sending unit. Hope this helps.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2018 at 12:11AM
LOL, well I see I already have one installed but it's painted so it blended in with the intake.....

Boy do I feel stupid! Embarrassed

Thanks everyone for getting me back on track!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2018 at 9:35AM
Never feel stupid. Lot of pieces and these projects take lots of time. Sometimes we forgetCry. But that is what we are all here for to help! Smile  Frame off can be overwhelming been there done that!
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2018 at 7:05AM

A bit more progress this weekend.... got the liner clips attached and the liners mounted to the fenders.

I then turned my attention to the power feed for the passenger side illuminated visor mirror. Had to tap into the hot feed for the dome maps lights for power....

and then added the green wire to continue on to the passenger side visor. Next weekend I'll wrap up that run before moving on to the next item of my TO DO list.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 17-June-2018 at 7:08AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 41>