The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project TV 2M8O

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 41>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2019 at 8:47AM
nice, joe! yeah i'd try to find a custom or hotrod shop, not a dealership that does whis-bang out the door it goes--- insurance work !!

Edited by californiajohnny - 03-February-2019 at 8:48AM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2019 at 8:50AM
EXACTLY CJ.... too much time invested to rush it or turn it over to sub-par shop!! Geek

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2019 at 10:09AM
agreed!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2019 at 10:10AM
 and there's a lot of hacks out there too! Angry
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2019 at 2:40AM
NO PICS TO ENLARGE TODAY! LOL Tongue

A wee bit of progress this weekend on the Torino, I got the power steering system filled with fluid and I also policed the area a bit in preparation for setting her down on all fours for her pending trip to the bodyshop.

Also found I'm getting about 15 minutes to the gallon idling..... LOL. I could tell when she was about to run out of gas because she started increasing in rpm's and running smoother as she leaned out prior to dying.

Aaron from Adkins Body Shop in Proctorville, OH (about 5 minutes from my house!) stopped by for a look at the Tomato today. He will be back next weekend with his primary bodyman for his input and then Aaron will give me some numbers on them doing the project.

Fingers crossed!!!!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 10-February-2019 at 2:42AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2019 at 3:00AM
Joe,
  With the way most paint and body shops charge for paint jobs these days, might as well cross: arms, legs and eyes as well as your fingers Smile. Too much top quality work on your part to let just "anyone" paint your Torino, I realize paint/body is just one aspect of the restoration, but it is usually the barometer that most will use to judge a ride and most impactful for the first time viewer. Hope he comes back with a good number for you. Hey, at least you have the colors already picked out Wink.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2019 at 3:43AM
Todd,

Yeah before I pull the trigger, I'll inspect some of his recent restorations and custom paint projects first hand! Geek

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2019 at 6:44AM
**CLICK ON PICS TO ENLARGE AND CLICK AGAIN TO SUPERSIZE**

Not much to say for myself last weekend.... when I arrived at the dealership, I discovered I still had a slight coolant leak. I tracked it back to the thermostat housing. Since the bolts were as tight as I dared take them, I realized the bolts I used were from my factory intake and the Edelbrock manifold might not be tapped as deeply, so I removed the bolts and installed a washer to see if that little bit of additional thickness... would allow the bolts to snug down just a bit tighter. If that solves the problem, I'll replace the bolts with a couple shorter ones.

With that out of the way, I started lubing all the grease fittings in preparation for setting the Torino back on the ground. As my luck would have it, I ran out of grease before getting them all lubed, so I brought my grease gun home so I could repack it with the lube supplied by Energy Suspension. That stuff it extremely tacky, slicker than snot on a beer bottle and waterproof to boot. Sure wish they would offer the stuff in a 3oz tube so it would be a simple matter of inserting a new cartridge in my gun.

All the while at the dealership today, I kept expecting the guys from the body shop to pop in so they could have another examination of the car so his associate could weigh in on the amount of bodywork she's gonna need, but alas I got stood up. What happened to the professional courtesy of calling a client should you not be able to make an appointment? Hopefully I'll hear something from them next week....

Fairly productive Saturday this week. My flex pipes arrived from Summit Racing this week, so I mocked up the cutouts to the collectors to see what style hanger I was going to need to get things hung properly...

While I was under the car I noticed the underside of the floor was covered with soot from the engine running so rich, so I'll need to get that all cleaned off once I get the carb adjusted just right.

I also finished lubing all the new front suspension parts as well as the front and rear polyurethane sway bar bushings. Put the battery charger on the battery to get it fully charged up for next week and also discovered a source for a very minute coolant leak. An unused bolt hole in the water pump was ever so slightly seeping coolant, so I ran a bolt into it to see if that would stem the flow. I think I'm finally getting all the coolant leaks sealed up... Fingers crossed!!!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 24-February-2019 at 6:45AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2019 at 8:59AM
Clap
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2019 at 6:48AM

Somewhat productive the last couple weekends...

Last weekend, John from American Classic Restorations stopped in on his way to the World Of Wheels to have a good look at the Tomato and took several pictures. I had stopped at their booth the night before and they said they would have him stop by on his way to the show the following morning. He said they would put together a proposal to do the final bodywork and paint on the car and get back with me later on in the week. Once I have the numbers and they are favorable, I'll ask to do a first hand inspection of a few of their past builds and speak with the owners to see how things went.

After John left, a couple old friends dropped by to see me. Was really great visiting with them for a bit and I got a little emotional while they were there talking about the good ole days.

Once all my company for the day had gone, I removed the spark plugs for cleaning. MAN, no wonder the engine ran so rough... those plugs were all covered in soot!

Took them downstairs, blasted them clean...

and then reinstalled them in the engine. Roared back to life as before, but I shut her down after a minute or two to prevent too much build up on the plugs until I can get the carb adjusted and the engine timing set.

This weekend, a tad bit more progress. Installed one of my AC condensers...

so I could finish verifying the location of the Dynamax speakers as well as designing new brackets to mount the auxiliary transmission oil cooler. I also dropped the exhaust cutout assemblies so I could take the flex portions in and get the collector reducers welded on. While I had them on the bench, I tried out the band clamps to see how well they fit the tubing. 

I also installed a new latch on the sandblast cabinet to replace the original clamp that broke. Used a Jeep style rubber hood latch in place of the metal clamp style.

Next weekend I'll make a cardboard template of my transmission mount and see if my idea works before fabricating the bracket out if sheet metal.

I also have another body man stopping by to have a look at the car and get another estimate on the paint ands body work and the dealer principal at the dealership said he may know a guy who may be interested in doing the car as well. Hopefully between all these interested parties, a qualified shop with a realistic number can be found and get the next phase of this project underway!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 10-March-2019 at 6:50AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2019 at 7:01AM
yeah she's running a bit rich...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2019 at 7:13AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

yeah she's running a bit rich...

LOL, ya think? You be free next Saturday about 1PM EST? If so I'll call and perhaps you can tell me how to lean her out a bit. I can tell when she's just about out of gas because she starts to run really smoothly as the fuel flow begins to decrease.

Thanks Johnny!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2019 at 7:34AM
Without reading the whole thread again, which carb are you running?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2019 at 11:21AM
sure joe! call my cell i'll walk you through it pretty easy once you do it Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2019 at 11:26AM
Ah, Holley. If you talk to Johnny for 5 minutes, 4 of them will be just to shoot the sh!t. Nice and easy to adjust these carbs.

Well, maybe not. The video tells the tale.

Edited by handsofstone - 10-March-2019 at 11:55AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2019 at 11:40AM
There's one on each side. Turn them in until you find the engine runs smooth and then starts to die. Back out half a turn or so. You can smell the exhaust and tell if it still too rich. I am assuming the timing is set. You will most likely need to adjust your idle as well. This thread is another must read.

Disclaimer- Any advice given and followed does not imply fault on my part. Use at your own risk. 😉

Edited by handsofstone - 10-March-2019 at 11:55AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2019 at 11:44AM
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2019 at 12:27PM
the circled screws in the pic are the fuel ratio adjustment BUT you need to set the float level first, then mixture then recheck timing then readjust mixture Wink

Edited by californiajohnny - 10-March-2019 at 12:59PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2019 at 1:42PM
You da man John. I didn't think of the float adj.

I will stick to plumbing. 😊

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2019 at 1:45PM
As an aside, videos I have seen where the carbs are made and assembled show them fine tuning each carb with fluid similar to fuel which leaves no trace when packaged.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2019 at 4:36PM
yes they do! but fuel pressure can slightly effect that Wink and they'll flood if any dirt gets in the needle valve and they over fill run rich due to that! ask me how i know
 but the easy external check and adjustment is why i prefer holleys Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2019 at 5:08PM
if the mix screws are non-responsive replace the power valves.

they dry out, crack and leak fuel from the float bowl through the dry power valve diaphragm and down into the manifold, internal fuel leak.

Edited by Rockatansky - 10-March-2019 at 5:08PM
72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2019 at 6:36PM
true but it seems that the power valves get blamed for a lot of crap Confused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2019 at 6:30AM
they won't flow fuel at idle due to low vacuum ....

but they will leak through if they're ruptured / dry rotted or if the gasket is compromised or mis-installed
72 GT Ute

TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2019 at 11:15AM

Today was a mock up day. Made cardboard templates of brackets I need to get made to hang my dual Dynamax sirens (only had on at the shop)…

as well as mounting the auxiliary transmission cooler...

while I waited on another local restorer. He stopped by and had a look at the Torino and will get in touch next week with some numbers.

Still waiting for Aaron from Adkins Body Shop to stop in with his head body man for their inspection and estimate and then I can determine who will be the lucky shop to do the final paint and bodywork on the Tomato!

Getting closer.....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 16-March-2019 at 11:17AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2019 at 12:49PM
Looking good.  What trans cooler brand and part number is that?  It seems to fit the space well.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2019 at 11:04AM
NOS Ford.... I'll get the part number off the box this Saturday if you need it.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2019 at 2:19PM
Don't worry about it Joe. I thought it was an aftermarket part.  I am still looking for one for my car and I like they way that one fits.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2019 at 10:40AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Looking good.  What trans cooler brand and part number is that?  It seems to fit the space well.

Vince,

Here ya go....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2019 at 5:33AM

After having to work last weekend to make up time lost for serving on the Grand Jury, I made a bit of progress this weekend. After a little project for the dealership, I formed the mounting bracket for the transmission cooler and then mounted the cooler to confirm everything.

Looks like I may need to relocate the AC ambient temperature switch a bit to clear the cooler mounting hardware.

After locating all my jack stands to use in pulling the tires off my Fairlane wagon, I spent the remainder of the day dressing the welds on one of the flexible exhaust pipes.

Next weekend I'll begin wiping down the underside of the car to remove all the exhaust soot and any of the chassis lube and errant grease from the suspension components in preparation for setting the Torino back down on the ground.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 31-March-2019 at 5:34AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 41>