The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project TV 2M8O

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 41>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2019 at 8:43AM
damn. that's good news!Clap if you can't stop in when they are working on it...ask him to snap pics and send them you you Wink because we want to see too Big smile

oh BTW i'll check on the piece you asked me about here shortly.........
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2019 at 8:48AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

damn. that's good news!Clap if you can't stop in when they are working on it...ask him to snap pics and send them you you Wink because we want to see too Big smile
oh BTW i'll check on the piece you asked me about here shortly.........

CJ,

He said the shop is always open to my visits and he is aware of me being a picture ho Embarrassed (they did the inner structure replacement) so he said photo progress shots are no problem.

Thanks for checking your parts car for me..... Thumbs Up

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2019 at 9:00AM
glad to see you finally get this car done! i was afraid we'd both be so old by then, we'd be customizing our hoverounds  instead of cars LOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2019 at 6:00AM
** DOUBLE CLICK ON PICTURE TO SUPERSIZE **

First order of business at the shop Saturday was locating and weighing all the door components so I could tell the bodyshop how much weight to add to the doors to simulate the finished door weight with all the components installed. (For that info, see my post http://forum.grantorinosport.org/door-component-weights_topic18502.html)

Once I was done with that, I began determining the necessary modifications needed to add the brace to allow an unobstructed opening for the rear seat armrest pass thru into the trunk.....

Have the basic panel size and necessary opening cut into a cardboard pattern, so I can now trim the existing braces out of the way, set the rear seat back cushion in place and then see how my new panel will fit and tie everything back together.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 22-December-2019 at 6:05AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2019 at 6:49AM
that should work fine! not much real bracing needed there so just a piece of 18ga. sheetmetal welded in should work perfectWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2019 at 9:05AM

Saturday I went out to look at the facility that will be doing the bodywork on the Torino. Need to go see the booth that will be used to apply the color next time. Right now we are targeting the move to the body shop for next weekend... if everything goes according to plan.

Once back at the dealership, I worked some more on the rear seat pass thru and cut the existing bracing back to make room for the new panel...

and dressed up the exposed surface where the brace overlapped the floor panel.

Next step will be to cut a relief slot into the existing braces to accept the new panel and work out the upper flanges on the pass thru panel to tie into the package tray. For some reason, the package tray drop off isn't symmetrical on either side of the centerline so the upper flanges will be different from site to side.

Gotta love a challenge!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2020 at 5:54AM

The first weekend of 2020 I took as a long one to work on the Torino to get her closer to being shipped off for body and paint. Got the transmission auxiliary cooler hard lines bent...

and plumbed in.

and also got the rear seat pass thru panel a bit closer to being fabbed up and ready to install.

The metal to make my new package tray brace with the arm rest pass thru cutout did not arrive the following week, so I took my design, printed it out and then cut a new cardboard template to insure the design was correct. Installed and taped it in place...

and then installed the rear seat back and cushion so I could make my final markings for the actual cutout and the pass thru mounting slots.

Turns out it was a good thing the metal didn't arrive because there were a couple areas that needed a bit more finessing. Got the template marked up and then pulled everything back apart...

and then set about prepping the Torino for her journey to the body shop next weekend (weather permitting). Masked up the steering wheel to prevent the leather from getting damaged as well as the steering column itself...

filled up the under hood fuel tank and cleaned out all my tools and any odds and ends from the car that didn't need to go to the body shop.

Hope next weekend is dry so we can load the Tomato onto the trailer and make the run to drop her off for final body work and paint.....

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2020 at 6:22AM
idk hasn't been very dry here the last couple days, holy crap it's been raining sidewaysConfused but there was a break in the rain yesterday morning long enough for me to get the 351C 4v pulled and soldBig smile but not without incident.... a 1 foot spot of atf on the asphalt which soon grew to 8'x10'ShockedOuch well it down poured last night again so rain may be good Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2020 at 8:53AM
Nice work on the lines and good luck with the paint Thumbs Up Can't wait to her in her new colors! 
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2020 at 8:22AM
Well that special day has finally arrived! Took a vacation day on Friday to finalize the rear seat pass thru brace...

and then got the car cleared out and ready for the move to the body shop.

Saturday arrived and it was a drizzly day, so we wrapped the car in plastic to try and minimize the water getting onto/into the car during the move.

A few little hic-ups along the way....

but all in all a pretty straightforward move.

Now the real work begins getting the panels gapped correctly and the sheet metal laser straight before the application of the distinctive paint job. I'll be posting teaser pics along the way but won't show any full on shots of the car until she is finally ready for her unveiling.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 19-January-2020 at 11:03AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2020 at 8:59AM
Love the rear seat passthrough. Keep the pictures coming.
Steve M.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2020 at 9:11AM
ShockedClapdamn... joe BeerBig smile finally!!!!Beer
 that pass through section will be nice if you put a sub in the trunk like i did sounds great when parked but moving the seat totally muffles much of the bass Confused i've thought about having a round opening stitched into the seat to allow the bass from the port to enter the car haven't done it yet but this would work great ! just fold it down Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2020 at 11:02AM

ShockedClapdamn... joe BeerBig smile finally!!!!Beer
 that pass through section will be nice if you put a sub in the trunk like i did sounds great when parked but moving the seat totally muffles much of the bass Confused i've thought about having a round opening stitched into the seat to allow the bass from the port to enter the car haven't done it yet but this would work great ! just fold it down Big smile

CJ, I've thought about ducting the bass up thru each quarter panel to the "opera window" cavity and then adding several openings in the cardboard sail panel to allow the sound to pass unimpeded before recovering the panel with headliner material. Think that would work OK?

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2020 at 2:54PM
probably would, as long as it's just thin material covering the duct port, or just run the ports out through the package tray using those plastic port inserts just hole saw the tray snap them in clean simple look then use some 60's style defroster hoses from the insert to the ports in the box Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2020 at 3:21PM
Looking good.

I don't even use the stereo in my car. The face is in the flove box. Haha
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2020 at 6:18AM
The play area looks empty with the Tomato gone! Today, I policed my area a bit...

and then helped my buddy Jim move some benches around in the service area making room for a new mechanic, but the big news is coming from the body shop....

The guys have addressed the poor '70's build quality by aligning the rear tail panel correctly,

filled the cb antenna hole in the decklid,

and sanded the decklid and surrounding sheet metal back down to bare metal and started applying the first layer mud in preparation of doing a bit of panel blocking.

They also welded up several trim holes down the driver side quarter panel.

LOVE SEEING HER FINALLY ON THE ROAD TO FINAL BODY AND PAINT WORK!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 26-January-2020 at 6:25AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2020 at 6:34AM
Clap yea!!!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rons73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rons73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2020 at 5:22PM
Thumbs Up
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2020 at 12:18PM
Looks great Joe. It will be a certainly have way better fit and finish than what FoMoCo did back when it was new.  Looking forward to following along.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2020 at 1:11PM
Keep up the great work. The road is calling.
Steve M.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2020 at 7:19AM
Well not to much to show for myself this weekend. I blasted the better of the trunk gutter patch panels...

hoping it would work to repair mine but evidently the seam sealer the factory used held moisture because both patches I got were rusted away just like mine had.

I believe there's enough good material there that it can be sectioned and used to make mine look like new again. Have it now soaking in EvapoRust…

to kill the remaining corrosion that might be hiding in areas the sand blaster didn't hit.

The guys however made a bit more progress than me this week as the All Metal filler arrived and they got the roof seams filled, mudded and ready for blocking....

Eager to see what they got accomplished this weekend!!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 02-February-2020 at 7:24AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2020 at 9:10AM
yeah that all metal works pretty good, haven't used it in years. i was wondering why you removed the lead, then i remembered about 100 years ago you had replaced the roof skin...
 how do you like that evaporust? i bought some but haven't tested it out yetConfused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2020 at 10:18AM
LOL, seems like a century ago! Confused

The EvapoRust looks like it really did a number on the remaining corrosion... it turned the remaining rust jet black and appears it etched/prepped the metal to prevent it from recurring.

Definitely going to keep it on hand for other projects!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2020 at 10:29AM
is that the piece i sent you??? i don't remember it overlapped like that Shocked or pitted like that
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2020 at 12:23PM

is that the piece i sent you??? i don't remember it overlapped like that Shocked or pitted like that

Nope, this is another piece I got from another Torino friend, but the piece you provided was pretty much gone in the corner as well.

I selected the better of the two parts, but after scraping away the seam sealer and blasting the part, the sections I needed were eaten away just like mine was, so hoping there is enough good gutter here that can be cut out and sectioned to rebuild the trunk corner.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2020 at 6:56AM
Saturday, I stopped at the dealership to bend up the arm rest brace...

but ran into an obstacle that prevented me from completing the task, so I need to get a couple pieces of heavy steel stock that will allow me to finish forming the last two bends and then straighten and tighten up all the bends so I can pass it along to Nick and Daniel for installing in the Tomato!

Speaking of the Tomato progress, the guys got the second coat of mud on the rear sail panels...

the A pillar seams filled with All Metal...

the passenger side sail panel blocked and ready for primer...

and started the body work on the lower passenger side rear quarter.

They are moving right along....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 09-February-2020 at 7:05AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2020 at 8:07AM
 Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Anderslober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2020 at 1:54PM
I just found this thread. Absolutely amazing and stunning work! 
Wow! A total inspiration for my 72 GTS.Wink
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2020 at 4:23PM
Originally posted by Anderslober Anderslober wrote:

inspiration?... PSH "hold my beer" here's my thread
http://forum.grantorinosport.org/johns-74-sh-clone-build-thread_topic10024.html Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2020 at 10:28PM

Originally posted by Anderslober Anderslober wrote:

inspiration?... PSH "hold my beer" here's my thread
http://forum.grantorinosport.org/johns-74-sh-clone-build-thread_topic10024.html Wink

Cry CJ, I thought we were buddies.... Cry

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 41>