The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project TV 2M8O

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 343536
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2020 at 9:52AM
i thought your paint guys did that? had me worried, but now this makes sense. glad you sought professional helpWink  and i don't mean just for the paint job either LOLLOLLOL
 sorry joe couldn't help myself LOL keep them updates coming Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2020 at 9:59AM
Wink Tired of doing things two/three/four times! Big smile Confused

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2020 at 10:08AM
Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2020 at 2:24PM
I was going to make Mummy Jokes about the wheel, but....
Johnny got there first. LOL

"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2020 at 6:13PM
rare Egyptian wheel Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Paul100ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul100ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2020 at 3:26AM
You're really going for it...Thumbs Up
Nothing stops this train.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2020 at 6:05AM
Well the guys have started working the hood as the body primer cures out....

Once they have it all blocked out, they'll jump onto the doors and fenders.

Saturday, I went over to the dealership and pulled out all the various bits to the dash and started stripping the dash in preparation for repairing a couple cracks and then repainting it satin black, detailing out the highlights and then reassembling it in preparation for it's final install....

I left the metal dash reinforcements in place to keep the dash plastic supported until I'm ready to do the repairs.

When I left, I brought the grill home to work on in the evenings after work.

They guys are making good headway and don't want them waiting on me for anything!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 09-August-2020 at 7:34AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2020 at 8:59AM
 lookin good joeBig smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2020 at 8:01AM
A little update from the guys this week... they have started metal working the front fenders, closing up a few emblem holes...

and adding a patch to the areas behind the wheel openings to fill the holes left by cutting out some rust...

and the hood is awaiting it's second coat of mud.

They also got the 5 rims for the wagon worked, primed and painted.

Once they have cured out, clearcoated and a bit of buffing and polish, they will be ready for some new rubber!

Well the black ABS cement DID NOT adhere to the grille as I was lead to believe, so I did a little web surfing and came across a product on Eastwood called Plastex Rigid Plastic Repair. Sounded like what I was looking for, so I went to youtube to see the stuff in action. Found a couple videos and one was an actual plastic grille repair, so I was reading thru some of the comments and one of the reviewers said you could do the same type repairs using baking soda and super glue (cyanoacrylate or CA for short) for a LOT LESS than what the kits cost! A bit more surfing and came across several posts about how easily and soundly baking soda and super glue (CA) repaired plastics.... one was even by the MythBusters and how they used this stuff all the time!

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/tips/a584/2569841/

So when my wife and I went to the grocery store this morning, I popped in CVS and bought a package of Scotch brand liquid super glue. (The liquid is preferred over the gel because you want it to wick quickly into the baking soda.)

Once we were back home (and the groceries unloaded!) I headed out to the garage to clean off the ABS cement, beveled the edges of the cracks and reprep the grille for another attempt at repairing it.

The first area I tested was the longest crack along the top of the grille. I applied a piece of clear packing tape to the underside to act as a retainer for the baking powder as shown in one of the videos...

applied the baking soda...

packed it down into the crack with a small flat screwdriver and leveled it a bit and then began applying drops of the CA to the soda.

I watched it slowly began to wick into the soda and once all the soda was saturated and the CA was uniform in color, I took a paper towel and wicked off the excess CA (and the paper towel actually began to smoke due to the exothermic reaction of the CA!). Once I had the excess removed, I couldn't believe how quickly the stuff had set and how strong the first repair made the grille feel.

I then proceeded to do the same steps along all the surfaces of the crack...

The grill now feels VERY SOLID! I'll let everything set up overnight and then dress the visible surfaces smooth so I can then move on to cleaning the grille really good and get it repainted and ready for reassembly.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2020 at 8:23AM
Shocked what the hell is that thing???   VVV        haven't seen one of those in yearsLOL

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2020 at 8:26AM
 the ABS works on the dash, grill is like  polystyrene plastic or similar, cluster is PVC, all different plastics Confused 
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2020 at 9:19AM

Going over the grille I noticed a couple more cracks, so I repaired them as I did last weekend. The first ones feel VERY strong so I'm confident in the integrity of the repairs.

While I was going over the grille very thoroughly, I noticed the back section of the grille is a darker argent/black to hide the ribs supporting the grated area of the grille so the inserts appear to float in the assembly....

Anyone else have the "shadowing" effect on their '74-'76 grille?

Edited by TV 2M8O - 30-August-2020 at 9:46AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2020 at 9:47AM
That looks very good, and it's a great use of colors.
Don
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V 3.70 gears, to build a keeper
73 Ranchero Sport "72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 351-3V &4R70W
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE, OBDII 347/4R70W
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2020 at 11:58PM
Kinda been sidetracked working on the wagon the last couple weekends but yesterday I went out to the bodyshop that's doing the Torino. While Nick worked on blocking down the hood, I knocked off the flaking paint on the interior that's not adhering to the POR15. Was really pretty easy once I found a section that wasn't sticking I was able to use a small tipped air gun and blew it off. Took a while and was a bit on the messy side with the sanding dust and paint chips whirling around inside the car, but wasn't as tough as I had envisioned it being. (SORRY, NOTHING REALLY PICTURE WORTHY!)

Now to get back on the grill and get it restored and then tackle the dash..... 

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 343536
  Share Topic