The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Q" Code

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Q" Code
    Posted: 13-October-2010 at 11:18AM
Hey, can anybody get me straight on if my engine is a "Q" code or not?  The sixth digit in the VIN# is a Q.  I read it was the fifth on another blog so now I am confused.
Thanks.

1972 GTS 351c 
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2010 at 3:31PM
It is the fifth digit of the VIN. A four bolt main block is the easiest confirmation of an actual CobraJet Cleveland engine. That being said, I have heard of two bolt main blocks being used in production. I consider myself being lucky to have one of the four bolt main variants.  
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2010 at 5:30PM
http://grantorinosport.org/resourcesvin.htm

using the information in the following link to decode what number mean for that year:

http://grantorinosport.org/72torino05.htm#engine

Edited by GranTorinoSport - 13-October-2010 at 5:31PM
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
bdavis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2010 at 1:20AM
OK  I think I was counting the "f"  as the first digit in the vin#.  At the front and rear of the vin# is the letter f so if i use the info on the link posted then"Q" is my fifth digit.  I am still confused!!Big smile

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2010 at 2:47AM
YUP you have a "Q-code"

the script "f" in front and back are NOT part of the VIN.

GREAT FIND! Tell us more about it!
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
bdavis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2010 at 2:15PM
1972 GTS 351c/ Q.  Its been sleeping since 1999 under a sappy tree.  I saw it from the highway and asked if they would sell and they did.  He said it just needs a fuel pump....Yeah Right!!! It needed shelter. Threw in a 750 holly 4bl still in box (i guess from the 90's).  Front windshield is busted at the cowl and the body(FLOOR PANS) is very rusty!! Has front end off another sport  ( chrome trim on fenders). The original paint is gold with blk stripe that fades.  All other glass is good.  Gas tank was rusted of course so I pulled it and replaced the pump but still not ready to wake her up.  I drained the oil and had about 6 to 8 oz water come out first.  Flushed the radiator and it was full of good green antifreeze so maybe the water in the pan was condensation or from years of water coming through the ram air hood?  I did however dump some fuel in the carb and it fired up for a couple seconds (that got my blood pumping).  Trying to upload  pics but I am not to savvy with the computer.
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2010 at 11:48AM
Its not confirmation that the block is a "Q" code but at lest the heads are the right ones , on the left-hand front corner ( of the right-hand head ) there should be a number 4 moulded / raised cast into it , that will tell you the heads are 4 barrel or 4V as we call them here in NZ .    
1973 Q code sports roof
 Post Reply Post Reply