The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radio Power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonnydgt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radio Power
    Posted: 04-October-2017 at 7:54PM
Anyone know off hand what color the radio power wire lead is on a 72. Mine had aftermarket inop radio installed and I can't find factory power wire for new radio hook up. One of many obstacles to overcome.
68 Mercury Cougar Convertible
72 Sport Fastback
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2017 at 12:40AM
Originally posted by Sonnydgt Sonnydgt wrote:

Anyone know off hand what color the radio power wire lead is on a 72. Mine had aftermarket inop radio installed and I can't find factory power wire for new radio hook up. One of many obstacles to overcome.

If you search the Forum I have a post I made here that outlines what every single wire for the radio is and what colors they are. But just for a quick reply, there is a two wire plug between the radio and the wiper switch. It will either be a light blue with red wire and a black wire, or light blue and red wire with a yellow wire. The light blue with red is your radio illumination power and the black or yellow wire is the radio main power. And original radio grounds through the chassis via the support bracket on the back.
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
Canuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2017 at 10:36PM
Originally posted by Sonnydgt Sonnydgt wrote:

Are you looking to keep things all original? If not, you'll get much better power for all of your aftermarket stuff by running a new wire back from the battery. I can post photos of where to drill and what kind of grommet you need to run back some new power.

Alternatively I can try and figure out what wire was hooked up to my original radio if you want, since I know I didn't cut it when I put in the new sound system. Just a matter of some quality time with a multimeter.

72 Montego MX Wagon
Sonnydgt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonnydgt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2017 at 9:44AM
Found the factory radio plug and tomorrow is install new custom auto sound radio day. Then I get to put all the dash back together and finish up the interior. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction
68 Mercury Cougar Convertible
72 Sport Fastback
 Post Reply Post Reply