The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

radio wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: radio wiring
    Posted: 07-June-2011 at 9:59PM
Hi guys,
I finally got round to patching the hole in my dash by overlaying another piece. I have also intstalled the radio (which is supposed to be compatible with a 74 Torino according to ebay) but dont know which wires/plugs to use and what the remaining are for.
Here are the pics...

radio front

These are the connections from the radio

These wires/plugs are part of the cars wiring and are more to the drivers side of the radio apperture

And these ones are towards the right side of the radio aperture

I am guessing that the single wire plugs are for under dash lighting (but may be wrong as the convenience group wasn't part of the cars options). Not sure if either the 2 plug or 4 plug is the radio connection

This was also to the left of the radio and I have no idea what this is either

Any ideas which radio wire connects to which car wire, and what the other plugs are for?

I am not sure if the car came with a factory radio as the Marti report doesn't list anything (no AM or FM or 8-track but doesn't mention a radio delete either). The options installed are

C4 transmission
White sidewall tires
Power steering
Power brakes
Console
Air conditioning
Tinted Glass
Body side moldings

The previous owner had a modern cd player installed and the only speakers are rear shelf speakers with new wiring. I am going to pull the carpet to see if the new speaker wires are spliced into the existing wiring or are just tucked up somewhere by the pedals as I can't wind any similar coloured speaker wires behind the dash.

As always, thanks for your help.

On another note, I finished cleaning and painting the engine bay, (loads of pics if you want to see them), but here is the finished article.

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2011 at 1:42AM

Is a plug that provides either 12v all the time, or 12v with key. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2011 at 1:57AM

Great job with using the cut out radio piece.  Was it hard to get it to really line up and look factory fresh? 

I'll pull out my wiring diagram tonight for help with the connections. 

Engine bay area looks incredible.  Well done!Thumbs Up 

Paul~
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
little jimmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2011 at 2:06AM
Took it nice and slow filing it down so I didn't take too much off. I had to drill an extra hole for the mirror remote on the new piece, and slightly enlarge the holes on the actual dash behind. I never noticed that wiper knob is slightly over to the right when compared to a dash which is fitted with a mirror remote. The wiper bezel, mirror remote bezel and radio knobs hold the new piece nice and tight. Once the cluster is installed I don't think you will be able to tell its an overlay (just need to touch up the bottom area with a little black paint).
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2011 at 2:09AM
The biggest problem I see is that your car has wiring for a stereo radio and you stuck an AM mono radio in there. There might still be another plug taped in there somewhere for the mono radio. I have a mono radio in my car, but there is a plug for the stereo radio taped above the fader control's mounting screw.
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2011 at 3:02AM
Nice job!!
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2011 at 4:00PM
Pulled out my wire diagram tonight; absolutely worthless on the connection for the radio.  Just shows one wire coming from the radio saying "radio connect".  Can't provide any other info.  Sorry about that.  Paul~
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2011 at 9:36PM
Thanks guys.

Never mind, I might try to pick up a stereo radio from somewhere.

If we ignore the radio wires completely, can someone tell me what the connections are for, the ones coming from the car, i.e. the 2 single wires, the 2 plug and the 4 plug.
It would be nice to know what I can connect to them in the future.
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2011 at 2:16AM
I believe the single wires are either from the dash speaker or cigarette lighter.

The 2-plug is power to the radio.

The 4-plug is two speaker wires (the green ones), dimmer (lt blue with red stripe), the black is ground I think, couldn't tell you about the brown one. Maybe front speaker?
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2011 at 2:07AM
the Yellow and Blue/Red stripe is the factory plug to power the radio. Yellow is switched 12v+, Blue/Red stripe is dash lights rheostat variable + NOT ground like i thought the first time i connected a radio and blew the dash lights!  the chassis mount will ground both the radio
and the display lamp

the 3-way Yellow plug is 12v+ for accessories, might be the backwards Acc key position only since the wire is not Yellow? a test light or volt meter can confirm 

i'm pretty sure the 4-way plug may be for a clock? it has the dash lights + in it so it's not speakers, a speaker plug will be all speakers + and -, nothing else

not sure what the 2 singles are

Edited by Rockatansky - 11-June-2011 at 2:24AM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2011 at 12:45AM
Cheers, thanks for sorting that.
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2011 at 4:57AM
 I got this one cheap  with factory plugs anyone  intrested ,

Edited by albo74 - 13-June-2011 at 5:04AM
albos73gts
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2011 at 12:34AM
I am almost definitely sure that is the right radio for a '74-'75 model. I think the '76 AM-FM's said Aeroneutronic on them instead of Philco. At least the '76 Granada mono radio I have does.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2011 at 5:50PM
This help?

Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2011 at 4:39AM
Paul, what book is that from? I don't see anything like that in my shop manuals...
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2011 at 11:08AM
The 1978 Ford/Mercury Midsized (Cougar, XR7, Ranchero, LTD II, Tbird) Electric and Vacuum manual. I've recommended this book countless times on the forum. They pop up on ebay for $20 - 30 usually. It's priceless. 95% is applicable to 72-79 cars, as colors of wires usually don't change. 
Paul
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2011 at 6:14AM

Off hand, not clear on those two wires. Assuming black is ground, and the tan is the 12V+ 

Blue wire with square plug- unsure
Blue with with red stripe, that is part of the cigar lighter/accessory circuit.
Yellow wire, not sure. Assuming a 12V+ but need to check the diagrams Paul posted. 

This plug, should plug into a harness specific for a clock.
I don't see the section this would plug into pictured.
Black wire - ground
Blue wire - accessory hot 12V+ lead
Green wires - illumination circuit {when headlamps are turned on}

This plug my understandaning additional 12V+ feed.
Cars that I've seen use this typically have added extras, like plugging in the power fro cruise control, etc.
I have also seen this used on similar applications for trunk releases, but don't quote me as the trunk release would have a larger wire for it due to power draw.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2011 at 6:24AM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

Blue with with red stripe, that is part of the cigar lighter/accessory circuit.

dash lights

cigar lighter gets a single Yellow wire with a female barrel connector, a Black .250" spade ground, and a Blue/Red stripe if it has illumination 

Edited by Rockatansky - 20-June-2011 at 6:27AM
72 GT Ute

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2011 at 8:10PM
Hmm. Odd. My wiring, on the cig lighter, used the blue wire lead?
The green I thought was illumination.
At least, from what I recall.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2011 at 10:35PM
Ok guys, I managed to pick up an AM FM 8 track player for the bargain price of $0.99. I have cleaned it up and it looks pretty nice. The good thing is it still has the factory plugs attached  both the plug at the radio end and the plug from the car end. The previous owner had fitted new speakers and speaker cables but had cut off the plug at the car end so I just have wires I need to match up. Below are some pics, can anyone let me know what each coloured wire is for. I know some will be for speakers  but not sure which ones and what the others are for. I may have to uncover some of my wiring loom to check for any loose wires for the remaining.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2011 at 5:59AM
I'm a wee bit fuzzy right now.
Older era stuff like this, used a common ground wire...looks like you got a pretty basic unit?
Need to consult the manual later when home from work. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2011 at 6:03AM
that should be a 4 speaker plug, each wire is a speaker and the black is ground. just get a loose speaker and test using the fader & balance to ID each position

what about the power input? there should be a 2 wire plug for switched power & dash light
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2011 at 9:17AM

Thanks guys, wiring all sorted. Tested the radio and it works fine. Only problem is that the volume when playing an 8-track tape is really really low (I only have one tape), but the radio blasts out really really high at the same volume.

Is there an adjustment screw that increases the 8 track volume to match the radio volume??

Ta
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2011 at 10:36AM
 nope , get another tape, I have a 8 track player too. the tapes are the problem , two tracks at once, two songs at once , there is a site Old 8traktapes .com that explains the problems and how to repair old tapes. easyier get another on e-bay or local radio shack.
albos73gts
 Post Reply Post Reply