Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear Axle Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Axle Questions
    Posted: 07-May-2013 at 6:04AM
I am trying to get my car's rear suspension back together soon, but I am in the process of cleaning and detailing the rear chassis area. I decided I am going to pull the rear axle to clean and detail it as it is too had to do under the car. I am probably going the housing blasted and powdercoated. The sandblaster told me he can ensure that he won't get sand in the housing. Does anyone think this might be an issue?

What colour red is the third member on the 9" diff originally? I know it's an orange-red type colour.

My original brake lines are rust free. The right wheel line is attached to the rear of the housing with a little clip. Is there a way of disconnecting this? Here's a pic (this is not my diff).

Also, I am probably going to replace the axle bearings too. I am thinking this might be best to farm out to a machine shop?

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2013 at 7:06AM
The part that is referenced with the circle is just a clip that is tack welded to the housing on one end and then the other end of the clip is bent around the metal brake line for attachment purposes. Just take a flat screwdriver and carefully un-bend the clip where it surrounds the brake line, if done correctly you should be able to re-use the clip without an issue. From what I have seen, read or have been told, the color of the center section is red oxide. Good idea having a machine shop change out the rear wheel bearings, unless you have a press to correctly remove the old set and install the new ones. I hope this helps, Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2013 at 7:22AM
Center housing is Red Oxide and yes, that clip is perfectly reuseable if you are careful.

The only issue I have heard on blasting with any kind of media is the painstaking process of making sure you get every grain of foreign substance out of it before reassembly. Bearings and seals HATE debris.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2013 at 1:49PM
Thanks, sounds like that clip is easy enough to get off. I thought it was solid (like a tube) around the brake line. My rear axle is pretty rust free and so is that clip. It's mostly just very grimey. I hope to have time to get it out tomorrow.

Is there any way to prevent media from getting inside the housing? Would I be better off to just wire wheel the housing, then powdercoat?
Vince

GTS.org Admin
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2013 at 1:39AM
Hi Vince. I missed your email somehow.
Yes, the 3rd member is Red Oxide in colour. I used a Red Oxide primer. About 4 coats of it them put clear over top to make it last.
I had the whole rear diff assembly sandblasted but left it all together. Took it apart when I got it home then finished all the painting and detailing. The housing should be a satin black finish.
Ian Glyn-Jones
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Forum; http://mmgt.forumchitchat.com/
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2013 at 3:15PM
I was able to get the brake lines off no problem today. The axle is out and ready to be degreased and sandblasted.

Thanks Ian, I think I may leave it together for sandblasting. A few others I talked to recommended that way too. I just don't want to risk sand getting inside.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2013 at 11:02AM
Well, I got the axle degreased today and dropped it off for Sandblasting. They won't get to it until the end of next week. When they blast it, I will pull the assembly apart and leave the housing for powdercoat.

Anyone have any recommendations for brands for bearings and seals? I want something made in USA or Canada, NO offshore parts.

Vince

GTS.org Admin
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2013 at 1:25PM
I'd go with Timken bearings and National seals.

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2013 at 12:55PM
Thanks, that's what I was thinking too. Anyone know the part numbers off hand? Rock Auto only lists Centric bearings, and doesn't even list a axle seal.

Vince

GTS.org Admin
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2013 at 1:22PM
Centric is made is the US.
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2013 at 2:12PM
Kinda off topic, but how hard was it to get that out?  I have new bushings and brake lines ready to go and I want to pull the axle and do the same thing - clean it up, paint, seals...

Just wondering how nasty 40+ year big azz bolts are to get off or what issues you might have ran into.

Thanks !
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2013 at 2:51PM
It wasn't too bad on my car, but my car is pretty much rust free (but full of undercoat). All my control arms came off easily, as did my brake lines (which are like new still, once they get cleaned). Even if the hardware was rusty, it shouldn't be a big deal. I used my big floor jack to lower it, roll it out from under the car.

I was trying to clean it up under the car, but it wasn't worth the effort. I'd recommend pulling it if you plan to detail your axle.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2013 at 2:52PM
Originally posted by Dan the ranchero man Dan the ranchero man wrote:

Centric is made is the US.

Thanks Dan, but I still want the part numbers for Timkens if someone has that info. I will probably get the parts locally, but I find I often have to have my own part numbers to get the right parts. Dealing with 40+ year old cars is not common in the parts shops around here.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 10-May-2013 at 2:53PM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2013 at 3:46PM
If you go here http://www.showmetheparts.com/ you can look for what you need. From a complete  differential rebuild to just a wheel bearing, they show parts from Timken, SKF, Fel-Pro, National seals and etc. I hope this helps. Todd

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2013 at 1:17PM
I ended up ordering Timken bearings, part number RW207CCRA if anyone needs it (for 1972). I had the axle sandblasted and it cleaned up nicely. I disassembled the axle afterwards and should have the housing powder coated next week. The original bearings still seem decent now that I have it apart, but I figure I should change them to be on the safe side since they have nearly 150K on them.

I also re-painted the differential red-oxide and cleaned up the other hardware today. The original axles were painted pink in the centre. Anyone know what paint to use to replicate this?

See the pic below:

Edited by 72FordGTS - 19-May-2013 at 3:07PM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2013 at 2:01PM
IMO, You can't go wrong using quality Timken bearings. Are those axles 31 spline?

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2013 at 3:07PM
No, just 28 spline unfortunately. The three holes is deceiving though.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2013 at 11:51AM
I finally got the axle back from powder coat and sandblast. He took WAY longer than he said and he still got sand in the axle (even though he GUARANTEED he wouldn't). I got it cleaner than new on the inside and reassembled the unit today and got it installed in the car. New U-joints, new Bilsteins, new springs, new bushings, new brake hose,new sway bar all when in too. Just have to put the rear brakes back together and bleed them and the car will be back on the road for a shortened season. I also have to change my front brake hoses too while I am at it.

Anyway, check out the pics of the axle, if you're interested.

Vince

GTS.org Admin
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2013 at 3:52PM
Looking good, too bad most folks won't even see how nice it looks once it's installed.

Post Reply Post Reply