The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Replacement Battery Tray & running a fuel cell?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement Battery Tray & running a fuel cell?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dubz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement Battery Tray & running a fuel cell?
    Posted: 25-July-2020 at 6:17AM
Hi folks,

I'm in need of a new battery tray as mine was rusted right through.  Anyone have suggestions on what to go with?  I've got a group 24 battery in the car, but I believe the original stock tray was bigger than that.

From long bouts of sitting unused the car also has a horribly rusted gas tank. Gas at the carb came through looking like orange juice before I put it away years ago, so I've been looking at replacement options.  Has anyone's done a fuel cell in one of these cars instead of a replacement tank?

Cheers guys,
WesleyBeer

1974 Gran Torino in flat black 351W/C6
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2020 at 6:37AM
Rockauto shows group 24F and group 34R for 1974 Gran Torino

34R is just a little shorter. you can get a direct replacement tank for a 74, make sure to source all the associated rubber components for a smooth install
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2020 at 9:50AM
They repop the batter tray. It's available from several vendors, but here is one:

The stock tray is supposed to be for a group 24 battery.  That's what I use in mine, just a Crappy Tire Eliminator battery with 800 CCA or so.  I keep mine on a battery tender and I have had no issues.

No help on the fuel cell, but you can still get the fuel tanks from Spectra.  Try calling a few local parts places,  I bet most could order one in for you.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2020 at 10:32AM
crazy price variation depending upon source, how many Censored's rent do you want to pay?

https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premium-F4A-Fuel-Tank/dp/B000C7QII4

same with the breather & grommet

think about a battery mat too Wink
72 GT Ute

torinomike650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2020 at 5:51AM
C&G Ford Parts has a reproduction replacement for $29 (www.cgfordparts.com), part # D2OZ-10732-B. See below for pic and dimensions I requested from them, it should be a fit.

I opted to go with a NOS part from Will McDonald Obsolete Parts in Indiana (www.mcdonaldparts.com), part part # D2OZ-10732-A, for around $125. They still had a few left, when I purchased mine a few weeks back.

So you have some options, depending on how much you want to spend Thumbs Up

Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
 Post Reply Post Reply