The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Retrosound

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Retrosound
    Posted: 05-October-2017 at 11:26AM
Direct question: What do you think about retrosound radios? anyone has tried one? I was thinking in get this one: LINK for my '75 Gran Torino
The owls are not what they seem
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2017 at 1:17PM
I put one in my brother's car (not a Torino) They are okay, they fit the dash well and won't stand out like a modern radio will.  They don't have a ton of power installed without an amp.  But otherwise they work well and will play modern music sources with ease. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2017 at 1:56PM
I installed one in my torino. Definitely needs the amp. With the amp it sounds great
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
AgentCooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2017 at 1:58PM
How is de microphone? Good quality calls?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2017 at 2:52PM
I couldn't tell you....I never used it. Sorry
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2017 at 4:01PM
How well do they pick up and hold stations?
I have a cheap Blaupunkt in my F-150 that has terrible FM reception. Fortunately I only have it in there to use the memory stick feature.     
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2017 at 2:39AM
Wasn't the best holding stations. I added an inexpensive f.m. booster and it fine now
AgentCooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2017 at 6:15AM
Thank you for your answers.... good recomendations.
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2017 at 9:46AM
Just my 2 cents, but I went with a Custom Autosound stereo and it too needed an Amplifier for it to sound good. I also added a self powered bass speaker, which really helped as well. I run 6 1/2 3 way speakers in the doors and 6 x 9 3 ways in the rear and it sounds pretty good.

Good luck and I hope this helps! Thumbs Up
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
Canuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2017 at 10:55PM
I put a modern head unit under the dash in my car, and reused the holes where the original radio was creatively.

- left round hole - manual choke knob (my second thought for this was a push button starter.)
 - right round hole - switch for the electric cutouts
 - center square - I found a near-perfect fit 3.5" screen for a reverse camera, or a display for a raspberry pi. Still on the
   "I'll get to that" list for installing it.

The under-dash mount you can get at most stereo shops will work for mounting a stereo. Sadly it ends up far back enough that it's hard to get at the controls, but most modern stuff comes with a remote anyway. On the plus side, you can't see there's a stereo in the car from outside unless you assume some strange positions looking in the window.

I'm running 3.5" 2-way tweeters in the dash, and 4x6 2-way speakers in the rear of the wagon powered from the head unit. Not much bass. :(

In the back of the wagon I've got a 12" type R sub, 1000w of amp for it, and a smaller amp and a pair of 6x9s in boxes. I'm thinking I'm going to do door speakers next, powered from one of the amps in the trunk. 

The whole system is loud enough to prevent speech in the car, and sounds amazing. A sealed box subwoofer with a larger amp will give you better sound quality over a ported box and a smaller amp. 

Photos upon request.

72 Montego MX Wagon
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2017 at 3:43AM
The one I installed held stations fine, no major issues it worked well.  Overall, for the money I'd recommend the Retrosound, it is decent for the money. 

For my Torino, I had my original readio converted to have a modern tuner inside.  It also has a 3.5 mm jack to hook up a modern iPod/MP3 player or even a phone Bluetooth device.  Going that route is significantly more expensive, but it looks completely original.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 07-October-2017 at 3:44AM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply