The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Road / Track Suspension Discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2012 at 7:30AM
Carl...one thing,what shocks did you and up using, Afco's?
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2012 at 7:33AM
Where'd you get a pic of my car (the bat mobile). 

Actually, the hacked lower arm doesnt affect the geometry, only ride height/spring length, and whatever ride height change may do to geometry.  Pivot points are all in their same location (again, except for height change).
1976 ELITE, 71 429 w/cam, quadrajet, 4 wheel Mark V disc brakes, 3.25 trac lok, gutted & 12.9'd Mustang steering box
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2012 at 8:57AM
I always thought that a ball joint spacer (making the spindle taller, in essence) was the same as lowering the upper control arm mount on the frame, similar to what Shelby did?
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2012 at 10:06AM
Originally posted by SPLUHAR SPLUHAR wrote:

The front lower control arm is thru-bolted to the cross member @ it's inner pivot.  I will be attempting to re-drill a new hole (holes) at least 1 3/8" higher on the cross member, and possible some amount towards the outside of the car.  It really depends on how the control arms will clear the motor mount bolts.  This mod will help (alot) with the positive camber gain on the outside front tire (and negative gain on the inside tire) when the car leans in a curve.

on the rear lower control arms, I'm going to cut the lower brackets off of another axle and weld/reinforce them onto the bottoms of the existing brackets, moving the back-end of the lower control arms down 2" (hok-i-fied south-side machine mod - improves instant center location, aids in traction)

Can you explain us laymen what your trying to do ?

Sounds interesting to me.   I would like to understand what your changing about the suspension geometry to improve...I surmise its to improve cornering, but not exactly sure how...and what its improving.  It sounds like your trying to change the car's suspension center...to improve the alignment under heavy side loading?   I was looking at the upper and lower arm lines relative to the bump steer only...but in doing so it struck me as odd that the upper A arm angled down instead of up from the frame to the ball joint.   I guess your fixing this a different way rather than lengthening the spindle...or somehow getting the A-arm to point up vs down...

and is there enough range on the ball joint before it binds to do this under full compression?

Thanks in advance.    I'm just a mere Padawan.   I work with pictures and crayons ;-)

Edited by BackInBlack - 05-April-2012 at 10:14AM
-John
1973 GTS
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2012 at 8:07PM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

I always thought that a ball joint spacer (making the spindle taller, in essence) was the same as lowering the upper control arm mount on the frame, similar to what Shelby did?

i saw a set of Mr Garbage lift blocks on ebay a while back, they're for allowing more droop in the front end, more weight transfer to the rear

72 GT Ute

SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2012 at 4:48AM
Originally posted by BackInBlack BackInBlack wrote:

Can you explain us laymen what your trying to do ?
Picture the car on jack stands and the spring and shock removed.  With stock suspension p/u points, as the wheel moves up into the fender, the top of the tire moves out in relation to the bottom of the tire.  This is positive camber gain.  As the wheel moves down out of the fender, the top of the tire move in.  This is negative camber gain.

Now put the car back together and drive around a left hand curve.  As the car rolls to the right, the right wheel goes up into the fender and the left wheel moves out of the fender.  The tops of both tires move to the right.  The bottoms of the tires are now tilted away from the inside of the curve and the car is now riding on the outside edge of the outside tire and the inside edge of the inside tire.  This is detrimental to grip.

Optimised road race suspensions are designed to have a negative camber gain (not positive) when the wheel goes up and a positive camber gain when the wheel goes down.  This is so that the tires tilt against the curve (towards the left, on a right hand curve) and as the car leans and the tires deform, they stay flatter on the road.  This is great for front end grip, compaired to the description above. 

I measured all of my pick-up points, and plotted them in auto-cad.  Then I plotted the arcs that the upper and lower arms make, and re-adjusted the angle of the spindle to match the p/u points.  I had an idea how much camber change I was looking for.  I tinkered around w/ those points to see what was possible in the confines of the frame, to improve the geometry.  At first, I was trying to duplicate the "Shelby Drop", by trying to move the upper control arm inner points, down.  But that involved alot of cutting and welding, because of the attachment method and frame design.  At some point, I looked at the lower arm.  I rolled under the car and saw that there was just enough space above the lower arm to be able to move that inner point up, without interfering with the frame.  Combining the moving of the lower inner pivot up 1 1/2" with lowering the car 3", I will have .5 deg negative camber gain when the wheel goes up 1", and .42 deg positive camber gain when the wheel goes down 1", which is very good on a street aplication (some race cars have up to 1 deg per inch).

Yes, the upper are will be pointing up, and the lower will be just about level.  Ball joint bind shouldn't be a problem.

Btw, there is too much of a good thing.  Too much gain starts turning the suspension, virtually, into one similar to the ford truck front twin i beam or the early vw rear swing arm suspension.

Edited by SPLUHAR - 06-April-2012 at 5:03AM
1976 ELITE, 71 429 w/cam, quadrajet, 4 wheel Mark V disc brakes, 3.25 trac lok, gutted & 12.9'd Mustang steering box
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2012 at 5:00AM

I was looking at the upper and lower arm lines relative to the bump steer only...

Bump-steer happens when the arc of the outer tie rod end doesnt match the arcs of the upper and lower arms.  The front tires actually steer left and right as they go up and down.

Edited by SPLUHAR - 06-April-2012 at 5:01AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2012 at 5:02AM
Ahhh....I understand.   Interesting.   Its easier to adjust the lower control arm to compensate rather than the upper.

But that works if your lowering/cutting the springs down 3"...Correct?

Lowering 3" puts the arms in the right relative stationary position...but how does that impact the remaining suspension travel?   I can see that the upper arm isn't the issue; its the lower arm before it hits the frame.    I haven't looked at any of this, but it seems like there may be a couple inches of upward travel left?

I'm glad to see that its calculated using Autocad or something equivalent.   I can't wait to see your results.   I'm wondering if at some point its better off replacing the lower arm with an aftermarket unit.   That will also leave plenty of room to use a splined sway bar in the front without those trailing links.

I like your ideas here...  
Thanks for splaining

-John
-John
1973 GTS
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2012 at 5:06AM

I can see that the upper arm isn't the issue; its the lower arm before it hits the frame.    I haven't looked at any of this, but it seems like there may be a couple inches of upward travel left?

I may have to notch the bottom edge of the spring bucket to allow the suspension to move up enough
and figure out some sort of bump-stop so I don't destroy the shocks.

Edited by SPLUHAR - 06-April-2012 at 5:13AM
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2012 at 5:12AM

That will also leave plenty of room to use a splined sway bar in the front without those trailing links.

I may actually go back to the little 3/4" front sway bar.  Changing the suspension also changes the roll center (the axis that the car rotates around when it leans).  Stock is 4 1/2" BELOW the ground,  "adjusted" will be 2" above ground, which changes (quite a bit) the amount of torque that's applied to the suspension by the weight of the car.  Combined with a front spring rate of about 750 lbs, I may not need the big 1 1/8" bar.  Stiffer isn't always better.  It will be trial and error though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2012 at 5:26AM

That will also leave plenty of room to use a splined sway bar in the front without those trailing links.

I may actually go back to the little 3/4" front sway bar.  Changing the suspension also changes the roll center (the axis that the car rotates around when it leans).  Stock is 4 1/2" BELOW the ground,  "adjusted" will be 2" above ground, which changes (quite a bit) the amount of torque that's applied to the suspension by the weight of the car.  Combined with a front spring rate of about 750 lbs, I may not need the big 1 1/8" bar.  Stiffer isn't always better.  It will be trial and error though.
True...its the combination of the parts...the sway bar is part of the "spring".   Its a trade between side-to-side spring vs the independent spring at each wheel.

I was thinking of going with a bigger sway bar and going a little softer on the spring.  Like you said it will take some trying out to find out what works.   The nice thing about the splined sway bar is that it makes it easier to tune the front suspension without tearing out the springs.

Your plan also lowers the ride height by 3"...I dont want to lower mine that much.   My headers and exhaust already has dents/scrapes at the OEM height. 

Are you planning a track only or autocross car...less street?

Edited by BackInBlack - 06-April-2012 at 5:28AM
-John
1973 GTS
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2012 at 5:53AM

Street.  With my tallish tires, there shouldnt be a bottoming problem.  The roads are pretty smooth around here (north of Atlanta, Ga).  Stiffer springs help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2012 at 6:44AM
This article has good pictures explaining soem of these suspension topics.  The bumpsteer diagram is good...

Helps me to see pictures.

I need to get a real book on this subject.  

-John

Edited by BackInBlack - 06-April-2012 at 6:46AM
-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2012 at 12:37PM

Street.  With my tallish tires, there shouldnt be a bottoming problem.  The roads are pretty smooth around here (north of Atlanta, Ga).  Stiffer springs help.

what size tires are you planning??
-John
1973 GTS
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2012 at 3:28PM

What size tires are you planning??

Right now it wears 255-70-15's (got em used off of craigslist) on Chevy p/u 5x5 lug ralleys (MarkV brakes all around).  Short term plans are for 275-60-15's.  Eventually maybe some 17's or 18's about 28" diameter.  I like the way the fill the fenders, kinda old nascar grand national-ish.  EEEEEEEEEEEEEvery body comments on the tire size, and it does look kool. 

This is a verry low budget project.  Almost no aftermarket that isn't already here.  Lots of head scratching and junkyard trips. 

At some point, I'm going to p/u some Lincoln Towncar or station wagon springs for the rear, then put spring clamps on them to bring the rear down at least 2" to match the front, and increase the spring rate, also to match the front.  I'm going to put the clamps on the stock springs first to see if they feel right.  The increase in rate of the stock clamped springs, combined w/ the reduced height may compliment the smaller sway bar. 
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2012 at 6:52AM
instead of clamping the rear springs, why not just limit the travel with chain or nylon strap?

that way the spring wont have a chance of falling out of place on full extension
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2012 at 11:22AM
Ok...spent some time staring at the suspension...thinking about what your proposing trying to understand the geometry and dynamics

Objective: Trying to get more positive gain on the camber to improve tire patch contact while leaning in a corner.

Sooo...to do that you would have to essentially lower the upper A-arm 1" like what Shelby did on the mustang.  (or increasing the height of the spindle perhaps doing what Paul/Psquare suggested using a ball joint extension) 

Since this isn't really possible (not without major hacking on the frame) your trying to get similar results by lowering the car by cutting 3" off the spring (also lowers the center of gravity); thus resulting in pushing the upper A-arm upward into the desired location in its arc to provide more positive camber.

The side effect of hacking so much off the spring has an undesired effect of shifting the lower control arm upward as well.  This has a negative effect of negating the increase in positive camber of the upper A-arm because the lower A-arm is to high which provides negative gain negating the benefit of the upper A-arm change.   It puts the lower control arm in the wrong location of its arc.   To fix this artifact; your proposing to raise the mounting point of the lower control arm to reposition, as best possible,  closer to the original stock location in the lower control arm "arc".   

What are all the various options and their pros/cons?

For this approach I see:
The pros:  low cost, fairly easy mods
The cons:  will lower the front of the car 3" which may be a problem for some people.       

Purpose of this approach suggested is to improve the geometry without having to buy aftermarket parts...trying to improve the car without to much outlay of $$$.

For me...I'm not against spending money for aftermarket if it makes sense.   Time vs money.   If I dont have the time or resources to do the mods...then aftermarket just might fit the bill.   Seems like you can get the same effect with a longer spindle to raise the upper A-arm...I'm just looking at this from an alternatives perspective.   

Also, I found some other rear springs with double pig tails that may work to lower the car 2-3".  What I'm not sure about is the pig tail size (diameter).

I'm trying to upload this spreadsheet...hoping it works.

You can sort "Sheet1" for rate, install height load, and make mods to the loading to see the chang in height.   I got this from someone on this forum...  I continue to add and hope to refine it more after I try some options.

I dont want to personally do spring clamps or mod the springs.   The wagon springs I think are to firm for my taste and will raise teh back to much.   I dont want to raise the back end.  These choices narrows my options to very few ...to having to order special order springs from Coil Spring Specialties.   They will cost about 2x OEM springs but I dont have to clamp them or make any mods to make it work.   

Please post some pics when your done...I can't wait to see that torino rip through a turn ;-)

-john

Edited by BackInBlack - 07-April-2012 at 11:38AM
-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2012 at 11:56AM

What size tires are you planning??

Right now it wears 255-70-15's (got em used off of craigslist) on Chevy p/u 5x5 lug ralleys (MarkV brakes all around).  Short term plans are for 275-60-15's.  Eventually maybe some 17's or 18's about 28" diameter.  I like the way the fill the fenders, kinda old nascar grand national-ish.  EEEEEEEEEEEEEvery body comments on the tire size, and it does look kool. 

This is a verry low budget project.  Almost no aftermarket that isn't already here.  Lots of head scratching and junkyard trips. 

At some point, I'm going to p/u some Lincoln Towncar or station wagon springs for the rear, then put spring clamps on them to bring the rear down at least 2" to match the front, and increase the spring rate, also to match the front.  I'm going to put the clamps on the stock springs first to see if they feel right.  The increase in rate of the stock clamped springs, combined w/ the reduced height may compliment the smaller sway bar. 

Sounds like we are thinking of similar tires and suspension setups....
except your going stiffer springs with smaller sway bars where I'm thinking of bigger sway bars with softer springs.   I'm thinking 1 3/8" front with 7/8" rear sway bars with 700lbs/in front springs(may lower) and about 210-220 lbs/in rear springs.

What about shocks?    

Right now...I'm all over the map with everything.   First I have to decide the ride height... I would like to lower it 2-3" like your doing but I hate hitting man hole covers that stick up and speed bumps like I'm 4 wheel'n through a parking lot bottoming out rocking on a speed bump.

Edited by BackInBlack - 07-April-2012 at 12:00PM
-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2012 at 5:50AM
-John
1973 GTS
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2012 at 8:56AM
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 1:37AM
For bumpsteer, I got this (w/ heim) and I got inner tie rod ends from a 70 Galaxie, which has the same threads as the heim and the same taper as the Torino (which has larger threads).

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 2:52AM
If it were me, I'd choose ride height and wheel/tire combo at the same time.. What works for one, will NOT work for the other.

Example. 

Both of my Cougars have full poly bushings, larger bars, etc. 

I initially bought Bilsteins P71 spec'd to run with the 17s and OEM small block springs under a big block. Brutal, IMO, for new england roads. Felt needlessly stiff over bumps.

Same shocks against OEM size 225 75 15 tires, car felt 'perfect' for what it was. I ended up moving the Bilstein's to the '77 with the OEM wheels. I feel I could abuse this car like a police officer beats on a Crown Vic hopping curbs and the car would be fine (not that I would)

Instead I now run Motorcraft P71 spec shocks with the 17s, and it feels MUCH better, more balanced. Springs are PST springs for a 72-79, that were supposed to drop the car 1". They didn't, so the previous owner heated them until it settled. (I am normally not a fan of this, but it worked, so much so I used these springs in 'my' car).

Ride quality was a concern for me.

Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 8:40AM
We'll see. Roads here in Ga. are nothing like the Great White North roads.  Mostly smooth, some decent curves, a little hilly, here around town.  An hour north of here, mountains w/ tight 25 & 30 mph curves (lots of fun for the driver, scary for passengers).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2012 at 11:41PM
Here is maybe an idear...

Why not graft in a 2003+ Crown Vic front suspension?   I has aftermarket support, springs, shocks, etc and a front steer rack.

I believe the frame rails for this year Crown vic outside to outside is 34" ...I think the torino is 37-38"...

Just something I stumbled on.
-John
-John
1973 GTS
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2012 at 2:06AM
The CV front swap is what I'm doing to my '68 F100. For that application, it is as near a perfect fit as you will find from two entirely different vehicles. It will also drastically lower the truck.

From what I have heard, it is better to clip the CV frame by the cowl and graft the entire assembly onto the Torino.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
PS122 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PS122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2012 at 3:16AM

Here is maybe an idear...

Why not graft in a 2003+ Crown Vic front suspension?   I has aftermarket support, springs, shocks, etc and a front steer rack.

I believe the frame rails for this year Crown vic outside to outside is 34" ...I think the torino is 37-38"...

Just something I stumbled on.
-John
Probably won't be doing this to my Gran Torino but this really makes me want to an old 60s/70s F-series into a daily driver!
Joe
'76 S&H Gran Torino
http://starskytorino.com/joes/joes.html
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2012 at 4:32AM
Makes a huge difference (I hope!).
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2012 at 4:36AM
I would have done it, but I did the DJM setup... I hadn't heard of the Panther swap at the time. Doh!
Paul

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2012 at 5:22AM
 [/QUOTE]
I've looked for a "tall" balljoint, but havent been able to find one in the correct taper.

[/QUOTE]
Found ford upper extended length +0.5" ball joints from Howe Racing.    This is what I plan to use.   I've been talking to Howe trying to find a lower ball joint that is close (+5") that I might use with some minor machineing of the lower control arm ....stay tuned.

I'm planning to use the extended ball joints with lowering the car -1" and probably relocating the mounting point of the lower control arm 0.75-1" as you suggested.   I still have to work teh math.   I ordered a suspension software tool that should help.   I dont have the time to muck with Autocad.
-John
1973 GTS
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2012 at 8:21AM

Found ford upper extended length +0.5" ball joints from Howe Racing.   

Is that a 4 bolt ball joint?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>