The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

running like crap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: running like crap
    Posted: 18-August-2015 at 9:19AM
I have not done anything yet. Car seems to run ok until you try to accerate it then dies and backfires through carb.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2015 at 10:07AM
Motorcraft 2150 2-bbl???
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2015 at 10:45AM
Accelerator pump in carb, points or advance not working in your distributor.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2015 at 12:40PM
^^^ X2  a few more details would help
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2015 at 12:58PM
Yes on the carb.Car also has vapor locked ever since KY.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2015 at 2:25PM
Has the car been sitting? Ethanol in gas goes bad or absorbs water which settles in bottom of the tank. this makes fuel mix lean. Also check for dirt in carb, accelerator pump or power valve, fuel filter/sock at tank. Make sure vacuum advance is plugged in (hoses connected at both ends) Cap and rotor contacts clean and uncorroded.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2015 at 3:23PM
No on the sitting but kids took it around the lake last mo. and filled it back up.That's when it went from poor to real bad.Thinking bad gas myself.I,ll start to play with it tomorrow some.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2015 at 3:35PM
You should be able to disconnect the fuel line by the tank (rubber to steel connection) and let some of the gas gravity bleed out into a glass jar. Look for separation into layers. (Or, orange gasOuch.)
If you are getting separation, best answer is drain and fill with good gas.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2015 at 6:12AM
Carb rebuild. You can get the kit for next to nothing and its hour tops to do.
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2015 at 12:46PM
Kids didn't put in E85 by mistake did they? I ask due to having one family member filling up a gasoline car with diesel and another member filling up a diesel truck with gas Ouch. The car ran and smoked like hell, luckily the truck was never started.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2015 at 12:56PM
oh i'll bet it smoked like hell!! but it will clean all the carbon out of the engine!!! yeah i know this for a factWinkLOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2015 at 1:17PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

oh i'll bet it smoked like hell!! but it will clean all the carbon out of the engine!!! yeah i know this for a factWinkLOL

Yes, it did! Smoked like a mosquito fogging truck, but ran & sounded like a pulp-wood truck. It was a brand new Lincoln LSC back in '85, my mom was to blameEmbarrassed. My father drained the tank as best he could then went and bought 105 "race gas" at the pump to fill it up.

robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2015 at 2:17PM
E85 would not cause the backfire or stalling. You got a carb with bad acc pump and dirty jets, me thinks
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2015 at 2:57PM
Originally posted by robot9000 robot9000 wrote:

E85 would not cause the backfire or stalling. You got a carb with bad acc pump and dirty jets, me thinks

From research that I searched a few months back, using E85 can cause a too lean condition due to the carb's build parameters were in place to meter the stoichiometric ratio of gasoline=14.7, whereas E85's stoich= 9.7 AFR. You would need to richen the fuel metering by at least 51-52% just to compensate. Hopefully something as simple as a bad acc pump, faulty power valve and/or jets is the culprit, just as you mentioned.

antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2015 at 3:21PM
Never rule out the advance on the distributor. I did in Bristol! It cost me alit of racing!
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2015 at 8:25AM
Ya not e85 we don't have it yet.Probably carb should go 4b.
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2015 at 5:07AM
Went to start on car problem yesterday.As I started to remove plug wires I noticed no 4 not on tight almost off. no 2 the same pushed back on and it was much better no dying and backfiring.Still vap locks though.The carb is bad.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2015 at 5:33AM
what I do is run the spark plug wire boot up the wire a good ways, then plug the wire into the cap. you should feel it click nice, then slide the boot to the cap tower while holding the wire down into the cap

===============
vapor lock is not a carb problem, more a fuel pump pressure issue

lack of pressure in the fuel line to the carb allows the fuel to vaporize and the carb receives fumes rather than liquid

===============

"90% of all carb problems are electrical" ~ Henry Ford

do you have a points distributor?

I've fixed a lot of carb problems with a new set of points, better yet a points eliminator module - done

Edited by Rockatansky - 30-August-2015 at 5:40AM
72 GT Ute

fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2015 at 12:44PM
79 electric dist.What it does is after driving a while .Stop for gas or what ever and it will not turn over or just turn over you can hold it to the floor or wait 10min and it turns over easy and starts. Was told its vapor locking .By the way still have that front nose for 77-79.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2015 at 2:06PM
So, car runs ok until you stop, then needs to cool before restarting. (starter can barely turn engine).
Look for a bad connection (starter cable or ground) or a bad starter with a heat soak issue.
Vapor lock will turn over normally, but no start due to no fuel.
This is assuming you are not overheating or low on coolant.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2015 at 3:17PM
by 'won't turn over' do you mean the starter is cranking but it the engine won't fire?

or the starter doesn't crank the engine at all?
72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2015 at 3:17PM
so if you hold it to the floor and it starts? it may not be a vapor lock, it could be "boiling over" in the carb and flooding it, phenolic spacer should help with that, i had a couple of my cars do that...so far that plastic spacer has helped
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2015 at 1:07AM
starter just barely turns it over like its seized up.This all came about after I removed all the smog junk.Will look into another spacer.
 Post Reply Post Reply