Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steering Gear - Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Gear - Mustang
    Posted: 04-May-2006 at 7:27AM
Is this the gear that is refered to Paul for the Mustang Gear upgrade?2006-05-04_192658_Mustang_Gear.pdf
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 11:08AM

That is the same gear that Torino used for the Saginaw gear option...

So is the Saginaw gear the superior steering gear?

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 4:34PM
IMHO  Yes the Saginaw is the superior unit because if you get the right one light from a 71-73 Mustang variable ratio box or from a Camaro Z-28 You can have 3.5 turns lock to lock My first box came out of my totaled Boss 351. #2 Came out of a Torino but I changed the spool and sector out of a Z-28 and it works great! Gary
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 6:43PM

Like this one? Is it a direct bolt-on, or do I just take out the guts and install them into a Torino Saginaw gear? I assume since the auto parts retailers have only one part number for 71-73 Mustang and Torino with Saginaw that it is 4 turns to lock, and hence the 3.5 turns to lock you refer to was a rare option on 71-73 Mustang which would not be available at NAPA?

Am I correct in assuming my best bet is to buy a camaro gear (presuming I cannot find a Ford gear because it is probably rare) and then buy a used Saginaw gear also for Torino and rebuild it with new seals and the Camaro gears?

Here is an ebay ad I found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REMAN-Camaro-FAST-RATIO-power -steering-gear_W0QQitemZ8062403672QQcategoryZ33589QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 1:41AM
           Scott I am not so sure that the Camaro box will bolt in but it should because I don't think they would have made a special case just for Ford. On the Torinos and other midsize Fords there was an adapter for the steering flange looks like a bow tie. No puns now!! And of course the p.s. lines are different. The part # was D3OZ-3B676-A  GARY

Edited by Torinogts73c
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 6:15AM

Just ordered a gear:

16-13:1 Variable Ratio
Ford core used, direct bolt on
About 3.3 turns lock-to-lock

Price: $398

AGR Performance , Inc.
4920 Rondo
Fort Worth, TX 76106
Phone: 817.626.9006      Fax: 817.626.9758
info@agrperformance.com

I'll take some pictures of it when I get it in a few weeks.

I don't know alot about steering systems, but the way the variable ratio works is in the first 25% of travel or so it acts like 16:1 and then after that it acts like 13:1. Meaning that on the highway it is friendly steering, and turning a corner in a parking lot will become a tighter ratio and be parking lot friendly.

Sounds cool, and for only twice the price of a gear from Napa or PartsAmerica or whoever, I am willing to give it a try.

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2006 at 8:41AM

Originally posted by GranTorinoSport GranTorinoSport wrote:

Is this the gear that is refered to Paul for the Mustang Gear upgrade?2006-05-04_192658_Mustang_Gear.pdf

Um..Sorta. The one I use is the SPA-T box from a 71 Mustang. That box you showed is a 4:1 turning ratio (turns lock to lock). The one I used is 3. That's the whole point of doing the upgrade. Last I heard, AGR wouldn't touch a Ford box.

Also. A Camaro box would bolt up (I had one up on the frame of my Elite for a short time). However:

The pitman arm splines are different.

The line fittings are metric

You'd need to come up with a way to connect the box to the column.

And.... most importantly.. the steering stops are located differently.

Your best bet is finding a box on ebay or a yard, with the proper tag.

From http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/steering.htm

Power Steering Gearbox

The 71 429 Mustang (and other V8 models with competition suspension) came with Variable Ratio Power Steering, which provided a rapidly reducing ratio as the wheel is turned beyond center. This gave the driver the benefits of quick ratio steering without the steering being super-sensitive. The 71 -72 variable ratio P/S gear boxes were tagged "SPA-T" (see below) and "SPA-V". The SPA-T was definitely used on the '71. It is not known at this time if the SPA-V was also used in '71 or was for '72 only.  

SPATtag.jpg 25102 bytes      steeringassembly.jpg 46864 bytes

71 -72 Mustangs without the Competition Suspension used a Constant Ratio P/S gearbox listed as SPA-S and SPA-U.

Autokrafters offers a rebuild service, which actually uses "your" box, not a core/exchange.

Check rockauto.com as well. They show one Ford box, and one Saginaw box for all the cars.. which wasn't the case originally. I'm curious what you get from AGR.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2006 at 11:33AM

Paul,

I already purchased the AGR box. They had some cores and are rebuilding one now for me as a 16-13:1 variable (approx 3.3 turns to lock). I should have it in a few weeks. I will take pictures of it and post up the whole deal when I get it.

It sounded like a heck of a gear from what the guy said on the phone.

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 11:01AM

D3ZZ-3504-B
SPA-T

"Variable Ratio Saginaw Gear"

Shows up for 73 Mustang

FYI. Since I have the Master Parts book for 73-79 I thought I'd look it up. Gives folks an extra part number in addition to the one provided by Paul.

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
tjbooker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjbooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 5:29PM

HOW DO YOU GET THE RIGHT BOX FOR A 74 TORINO?

I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A BEETER RATIO THAN STOCK CAN ANYONE MAKE PART NUMBER RECOMMENDATION?

THANKS

TB

Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 1:09PM

I got the AGR Steering Gear.

I thought I would post some pictures up of it.

It is the 16:1 to 13:1 Variable Ratio Gear.

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 4:21PM

Those of you who still want to make your stock Steering Box into a quick ratio, you can send it to Can Craft here in Surrey, BC, Canada. They did an excellent job on mine. I have no play in the steering wheel and I can steer the car easily with two fingers. They can rebuild your stock Steering Pump too.

http://www.cancraft.com/parts.htm

Edited by GranTorinoMan
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 5:07AM

Another Puurrrrdy piece for that car..   You'll have to take "installed" pics of all this auto jewelry so we can drool some more..

Jim

1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 7:26AM
I guess it more or less qualifies as "Bling".
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 9:01AM

Impressive. If my box suddenly explodes, I'll try the AGR.

Is there a stocking part # that they have for the Torino?

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2006 at 6:29PM
I will get it for you. Let me sift through the paperwork.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2006 at 2:11PM
So did you get the steering gear box from AGR installed?  My steering wheel has a lot of slop in it so I'm looking to upgrade.

I've never swapped out a steering gear box, is it difficult?  About how many hours did it take you from start to finish?

Thanks.

Brian

Edited by Hey Z - 17-October-2006 at 2:11PM
tjbooker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjbooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2006 at 9:16PM
LAST WEEKEND I JUST INSTALLED AN UPGRADED RATIO AGR CUSTOM STEERING GEAR, IT WASN'T DIFFICULT , BUT I HAD MY MOTOR OUT AT THE TIME ,  JUST A FEW , I THINK IT WAS THREE BOLTS TO THE FRAME. PLUS THE PINCH CLAMP FROM THE STEERING COLUMN. OF COURSE IT WILL BE MUCH MORE DIFFICULT IF THE ENGINE IS IN THE CAR.
TJ
Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2006 at 2:23AM
Thanks, TJ.  My motor will be in the car so I guess we'll see how difficult it is.  I assume since your motor is out you haven't driven the car with the new gear?  Just curious how much you like it.

Brian
tjbooker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjbooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2006 at 8:12AM
NO NOT YET BUT I'M HOPING TO HAVE IT GOING BEFORE THE END OF THE MONTH!
TJ
 Post Reply Post Reply