The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stereo Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyler74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stereo Questions
    Posted: 08-August-2013 at 4:19PM
I was thinking about a FM transmitter for my music, but what do you guys think about wiring a separate stereo under the dash with a AUX or USB port? I love the OEM radio and don't wanna change the look. Anyone have any suggestions? Or other ideas. Thanks guys.

Edited by Tyler74 - 08-August-2013 at 4:19PM
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2013 at 6:40PM
72 GT Ute

Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2013 at 7:10PM
If you add a underdash unit you will need to run new speaker wires to each speaker, The factory wiring uses a common speaker ground or negative wire setup that is not compatible with newer higher power floating ground stereos.
Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2013 at 2:56AM
For the time, money and effort, go with a Retrosound unit.  Decent power, good sound, all the inputs and looks stock.  Here is a pic of my install:

1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2013 at 3:12AM
x2 retrosound.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Tyler74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyler74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2013 at 5:01AM
That actually looks pretty nice, on the back of my radio, it appears that some wires are wired into the radio, is it like this on all of them? If so, can someone give me some tips on what wires to pull? And I'll have to look those radios up.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2013 at 5:52AM
I had my OEM AM/FM stereo converted over last winter. The company installed a modern digital receiver with a 3.5 mm aux jack to hook up an accessory like an Ipod. which I have hidden in my ash tray. The radio looks 100 % original, but functions like a modern radio. I used Western Wireless in BC, but there are other companies out there that do this. This is an expensive option, but if you are looking to keep your car looking original, this is the best option. I also installed four new retro sound speakers and ran new wiring. I kept the factory wiring in place, but as stated before it can't be used because of the common ground.

Wester Wireless

Vintage Auto Radio

I just installed a Retro Sound stereo in my brother's car this spring. We also installed new speakers and wires with the receiver and it works decent. It allows for a 3.5 mm as well as other formats (USB, SD cards). It's about half the cost of a conversion and doesn't hack up your dash. My brother says the sound is better from this stereo than his 2010 Tacoma, but it has less power than my converted radio.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Tyler74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyler74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2013 at 7:06AM
Well, since I'm in the middle of upgrading everything, a stereo isn't high up on my list, and if I can just rub the sides a foot more below the dash and mount it there out of the way, that would work for me. What do you guys think about this? I love those retro radios though, probably will be getting one in the future.
Tyler74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyler74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2013 at 7:07AM
Again, anyone know how the wires from the radio work?
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2013 at 7:31AM
Dude, we're all workin here on a Friday Wink

Yes, there is a 2 wire plug that is +- 12V.  Then there will be  pigtail for the speakers. In my case, it was just the front speaker (AM only).

For my radio, I ran new Polk speakers in all 4 corners and the Retrosound in the dash, so the speaker connections were my own making.  I have used the +12 from the original radio, with ground to chassis. Someone hear said the cigarette lighter is always live, so I need to tap into that, as my presets all get lost when the car is turned off (I had it connected to the batt, but as mentioned, it would kill the battery in a few days. Might do the same, so we'll see...).

Retrosound was not that expensive.  
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2013 at 9:35AM
As Robot posted, wiring a radio is super easy. With the Retro Sound you will need the constant power like he mentioned. But with the radio conversion, you don't (since the old mechanical presets still work). The guy who did my conversion included a new harness, for the speaker wires. That's the big connector in the photo. He also included the female end, which you then connect to your speaker wires. It's really easy. The retro sound has a similar setup, but the power and ground were all in the same harness.

On my radio you will see the original power connector, with the red and grey wire (red accessory power, grey is the power for the internal light). I just plug that into my original harness. The radio grounds through the rear mount. The black wire is the 3.5 mm jack for the Ipod etc.

Here's the radio mounted:

Here's the jack hidden in the ash tray:

Vince

GTS.org Admin
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2013 at 10:00AM
Originally posted by robot9000 robot9000 wrote:

For the time, money and effort, go with a Retrosound unit.  Decent power, good sound, all the inputs and looks stock.  Here is a pic of my install:

wow, i just looked these up.  they are only $170...  thats not bad considering most of the ones i had found so far were upwards of $400-500.  looks like i found my radio... thanks for posting that, pat!!
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Mark S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2013 at 2:08PM
Would love one of those retrosound units, they look great. However, the p.o. cut the dash for a newer style unit. Cry
Mark
1977 Ltd II "Eltee"
1984 Mustang ragtop
2004 Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition
71 Torino GT 429CJ (sold too many years ago to count...)
Tyler74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyler74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2013 at 9:25AM
That looks great, along with the other suggestions, how much was it to get it converted?
TomiTomi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomiTomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2013 at 2:29AM
Custom Autosound has also classic looking radios: http://www.casmfg.com/Ford_Radios.htm

That's how it looks like in mine. It would make sense to replace the radio buttons with original ones...

Tomi
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2013 at 3:36AM
Vince, your upgraded stereo looks just superb! My wagon has the factory stereo, and works well (rebuilt by the original owner) but has no real oomph and I really would like upgraded speakers/CD capability. Great ideas guys.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2013 at 8:21AM
I also went with the Custom Autosound stereo, but like others have said it just didn't have any power at all to drive the 6 1/2 door speakers and 6 x 9's in the rear. I like to listen to music and feel at least a little bit of bass if the music calls for it, but I didn't want anything exposed so I added a 4 channel amplifier and a seperate amplified self contained woofer. Each sits under the driver's and passenger side front seats out of the way. You can hear it, but not see it!  
Good luck with whatever you decide to get.
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2013 at 5:42AM
The conversion is not cheap, around $400 or so, but if you are looking to keep your car looking original, I think it's worth the cost. Like I posted earlier, I have installed a Retrosound and a conversion. If you aren't concerned with original looks, the Retrosound is the best bang for the buck (although they don't have a ton of power, but an external amp is easy to hook up). I am happy with my converted radio and it always freaks people out when I hook up an Ipod to an "original radio."

Edited by 72FordGTS - 14-August-2013 at 5:43AM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
free1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote free1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2013 at 8:07AM
What size is the center dash speaker in a '75?  

I'm thinking of going with the Retrosound, new 6X9s out back and the dual voicecoil speaker in the dash (my car didn't have door speakers and I'm not sure I want to put in the factory door grills, definitely not going aftermarket).

Also, I've got true duals with cherry bomb glass packs.  The reason I'm changing the stereo is the '70s Audiovox cassette deck was distorting so bad over half volume that you couldn't hear the radio at all.  Do you think the Retrosound with the speaker setup described will actually be powerful enough to hear?  I don't need thumping bass or anything like that, just want to be able to hear my tunes while cruising with the windows down.
1975 Gran Torino 351W/C4
1986 Mustang 3.8L/C4
1995 F150 5.0L/4R70W
2001 Honda Civic 1.7L
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2013 at 8:26AM
Just my 2 cents, but an extrenal amplifier is probably a good idea. Nothing too big just something big enough to power your speakers at the RMS level they recommend. Good luck!
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2013 at 2:48PM
Originally posted by free1986 free1986 wrote:

What size is the center dash speaker in a '75?  

I'm thinking of going with the Retrosound, new 6X9s out back and the dual voicecoil speaker in the dash (my car didn't have door speakers and I'm not sure I want to put in the factory door grills, definitely not going aftermarket).

Also, I've got true duals with cherry bomb glass packs.  The reason I'm changing the stereo is the '70s Audiovox cassette deck was distorting so bad over half volume that you couldn't hear the radio at all.  Do you think the Retrosound with the speaker setup described will actually be powerful enough to hear?  I don't need thumping bass or anything like that, just want to be able to hear my tunes while cruising with the windows down.

This is the exact setup I just put in my brother's car earlier this year (same speakers and radio). It has decent power but if you like your music really loud you might want an amp. He says it's better than his factory system in his 2010 Tacoma. It has WAY more power than the old 90's era Kenwood tape deck that I replaced. I'd say try out this setup and if you need more power you can easily add a small amp afterwards.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
75ranchero460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75ranchero460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2013 at 2:54PM
Gary

Ranchero=Fun

1975 Ranchero GT 460

1971 Torino GT

1962 (custom) Econoline

1967 Cougar

2002 Honda Shadow ACE 750 (sold)
free1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote free1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2013 at 3:44PM
To answer my own question, I went and pulled the dash pad out of my 1975.  The center dash speaker seems to have been a 6X9.

Just bought a DVC custom audiosound 6X9 off of ebay, and a Retrosound and knobs from Crutchfield.  I then realized I accidentally sent the radio to my old apartment, sent Crutchfield an email to correct it.  Hopefully it comes here, if not I can still go get it from there I guess.  Opps.
1975 Gran Torino 351W/C4
1986 Mustang 3.8L/C4
1995 F150 5.0L/4R70W
2001 Honda Civic 1.7L
 Post Reply Post Reply