The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suspension upgrades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote va2ir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suspension upgrades
    Posted: 04-October-2016 at 6:09AM
Good day. Ian here from Montreal.

We did about 2000 miles in the Torino this season, Carlisle and the show in NYC. Uncle Paul beat on my car twice, and it survived!  But in NYC he called it a "floatuh" - floater.

And he;s right.

I changed the front and rear shocks to 96 crown vic touring shocks from Monroe about 10 years ago. I added a factory rear sway bar off a cougar XR7.

Ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm, have all been changed to new.  Steering box could use some improvement. I can turn from 11 oclock to 1 oclock with very little feeling.

Aside from that, it is what it is when I bought the car in 2000.  Springs could be original from 73. I don't know.

In any case, I'd like some RECOMMENDATIONS on what owners have done to beef up the handling of our cars.  Springs?  From what model/year?  Shocks? Which manufacturer and for what car. Steering box?  Addco sway bars?  Poly bushings?

I did see an interesting article about a cross member for lincolns, that bolted to the torque box, then to the center engine member, and then to the front rad support.

Let's try to keep this thread on topic and not go too far off the track.

thanks

You can reply to me off list 

va2ir at securenet dot net
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2016 at 10:08AM
I boxed my rear lower control arms,poly bushings throughout, oem 1 1/8"front bar,addco 7/8" rear bar
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2016 at 10:31AM
i too would like to know what to look for or where i can get a direct swap out for a steering box that will make my steering wheel more responsive. driving my girlfriends corvette has made me realize just how sloppy and unresponsive my steering wheel is compared to hers.
74 gts 460/auto with factory sunroof
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2016 at 2:27PM
What is your car now?  A '73 Torino?  Do you know what suspension package you have from the factory? What are you goals for the car in terms of ride and handling?

The coil spring thread is overwhelming to many, but there is tons of good info there on what springs to use.  I'd suggest a more performance oriented shock, Brillstein's, Monroe Severe Duty shocks or KYB's.  Addco is the only aftermarket source for sway bars and they offer the biggest front and rear you can get for our cars (1 1/8" front, 7/8" rear).

If you have a lot of slop in your steering, check your front end first.  Make sure that you don't have any worn parts.  The stock steering boxes on these cars are slow and over boosted.  You can get a quick ratio Ford box from Lares. My preference is for a Saginaw quick ratio high effort box, but it is a little bit more work to swap if your car doesn't have a Saginaw box in it now.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2016 at 3:15PM
mine is a 74 gts with a 460. currently i have a brand new set of front and rear coil springs that i ordered for a 76 torino station wagon with a 460 and a/c. i have not installed anything yet, because i am in the slow process of gathering all the various parts i want first, before beginning any tear down. i have a front sway bar on the car, i am ASSUMING that it is a 1-1/8 bar, based on the fact that mine is a 460 car, but i have no rear sway at all.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2016 at 10:39AM
Originally posted by gnrlee01 gnrlee01 wrote:

mine is a 74 gts with a 460. currently i have a brand new set of front and rear coil springs that i ordered for a 76 torino station wagon with a 460 and a/c. i have not installed anything yet, because i am in the slow process of gathering all the various parts i want first, before beginning any tear down. i have a front sway bar on the car, i am ASSUMING that it is a 1-1/8 bar, based on the fact that mine is a 460 car, but i have no rear sway at all.

Your car likely has a 15/16 sway bar, which was standard for most Torinos in 1974 with the base suspension.  The 460 engine option made no difference on the sway bar size.  If you car has heavy duty suspension, then it would have a 1" front bar and a 11/16" rear bar.  Bigger bars were available for police package Torinos.  The 1 1/8" bar was only used on the Elite in 1974. 
Vince

GTS.org Admin
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2016 at 11:08AM
ahh...ok. thanks for the info and correction.

you guys that have boxed in your control arms, when you were welding on them, were they previously galvanized, or just painted from the factory?
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2016 at 12:26PM
Just painted steel.... and here's a link to the HOW TO thread.
GOOD LUCK

Edited by TV 2M8O - 05-October-2016 at 12:28PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
va2ir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote va2ir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2017 at 6:02AM
Hi guys. hope you had a good winter.

So I got all my parts together and started on the rear end left side. Got the lower arm off, after cutting the bolts, cleaned it up, boxed it in, pressed in new bushings, then the fun started on reinstalling. I installed the front bolt, but the axle end was off by an inch. So should I be raising the car from the frame first and then support the axle? Theoretically, if both the frame and axle are suspended, nothing should move.

Now working on the upper arm (dog bone). Have to keep the shells of the bushings. Again bolts seized tight. No room to get a cut off wheel in the frame pocket....so I hope the sawzall will cut the bolt.  ANy other ideas? I have no access to a torch nor plasma cutter.

Thanks

Ian R.

Have a good time in Carlisle for those that are going.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2017 at 1:41PM
I would try to save the OEM hardware if possible.  Have you tried PB Blaster? You can usually buy a mapp gas torch with an O2 tank pretty cheap from a hardware store.  They get a lot hotter than a propane torch, might be enough to loosen the nut.  You could also try a nut splitter, which would at least save your bolt.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2017 at 9:23AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

You could also try a nut splitter, which would at least save your bolt.
Sounds painful. LOL

"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
 Post Reply Post Reply