Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The (new) Life of Jeff's New 79 Cougar XR-7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The (new) Life of Jeff's New 79 Cougar XR-7
    Posted: 13-April-2015 at 7:01AM
I thought since I was in possession of Jeff's (n2fordwagons) new car that I would start a project thread that Jeff can later update.

Jeff bought a car off a "wrecked" auction house. Thanks to GTW and his postings in the Junkyard Photo Thread, Jeff was able to find it.

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=8602&KW=&PID=138965&title=the-junkyard-photo-thread#138965

It was in Seattle, specifically in Tukwila in the Boeing Field corridor on Marginal Way (Museum of Flight, P-8 mod center, Boeing Field), as such it was a very close drive for me. I used to work just down the road of this place for 18 years.

I agreed to pick up the car and store it at my house until Jeff was able to arrange transport for it to Georgia.

Here are some photos of the car and of the experience picking it up on Thursday:

First is the most important task of getting coffee at Starbucks on Marginal Way. This Starbucks is made up of cargo shipping containers and has a walk-up window. It opened about the same time I got back from Afghanistan, so when I saw it, it was just like being back in Afghanistan where the few food places were cargo containers also.

Next is a photo I snapped at the pickup up location, just up the road. You can see 747 line number 1 in the background. That is the Museum of Flight airpark where they also have a 787, 707 (President Johnson's airplane), 727, Concorde and a few others.

When I first saw the car, I was amazed that it was an XR-7 (I did not know that before):

It was hit on the passenger side. Seems like a blow that first hit the front corner then grazed the side low and up to the quarter panel right behind the passenger door. Minor damage, and I found many of the front pieces that are not on the car in the trunk (along with the front bumper).

It was a long drive home. This is a drive that takes me 25-30 minutes in the morning with terrible I-405 traffic (about 15-18 minutes with no traffic). No freeways, and had to stop to refill the master cylinder (massive brake line leak in rear system). Here is a picture of the car at my place on a new little parking area I had made.

Edited by GranTorinoSport - 13-April-2015 at 7:06AM
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2015 at 7:10AM
I was very impressed with the car. It is a very nice car. Starts up, runs nice and smooth, and is quiet. AC works, everything else seems to work just fine.

Issues: rear brakes (massive line leak somewhere) & steering (about a 30 degree slop, could be steering coupler).

The interior is very nice and unique (I see why Jeff wanted it so bad). It has a factory stereo cassette (must have been a 79 thing only?)

Overall the car is in great shape and seems to have spent a great deal of time garaged. I can tell that much of its life was spent going through car washes because of the wearing of paint on the hood, etc.

Laura and I got the car back and immediately left town to go off to Spokane for drill weekend (military duty). As such, I did not have time to look much at the car or take any better photos. I will endeavor to do that this week.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2015 at 7:12AM
That sure is the most interesting Starbucks I've seen before. Glad the car made it to your place alright. Still glad I was able to help! 
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1971 Maverick 2 Door
1994 Mark VIII
Retired 60s NHRA Anglia
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2015 at 7:20AM
One more photo I found on my iPhone. This is a rear driver side shot at my house. You can see the new bed for my 71 F-250 and my 75 Sport (parked on the street) in the background.

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2015 at 7:50AM
Bravo! Thanks Scott, for helping out a member, once again!
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2015 at 12:43PM
Scott, thanks so much for picking this up for me!!  Can't wait to get it home.  Also wanted to thank Griffin and John (californiajohnny).  John was also more than willing to help out, if need be.
My plans are to swap the Cougar's bucket seat/console interior over to my T-Top T-Bird.  However, with the working A/C, I might just use it as my daily driver this summer.  When I do eventually swap it over, my plans are to put the white interior out of the T-bird into this Cougar, and sell the Cougar.  I've also got the T-bird front end parts that I could use to repair the front of the Cougar. 
Couple of issues I've thought of, the Cougar door panels are for manual windows, where the T-bird has power windows.  And the rear B-pillar panels are different between the Cougar and the T-bird.  Also, the T-bird has power seats, where the Cougar has manual seats.  So, I gotta figure something out there. 

Scott, looking forward to seeing more pics of it!  Thanks again!  You 'da man!!
Jeff

76 Mercury Montego MX Villager w/ 460
79 Ford Thunderbird w/ T-tops
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2015 at 3:54PM
jeff glad i could help (sorta) you should be able to swap the power seat tracks onto the other seats??? and i'll check on those other interior parts when i go back to that yard
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2015 at 6:10AM
The "new" Cougar is home!  Haven't had a chance to take any pics yet, but will ASAP.  The interior is in great shape.  No rips or tears in the seats.  The only significant interior issue is a stain on the "funky" cloth upholstery (driver's seat).  I'm hoping my steam cleaner will take care of that.  It idles a little rough, could probably use a tune-up.  It runs great while cruising down the highway, and rides super smooth.
Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2015 at 10:20AM
This interior is so frickin clean.  I couldn't have hoped for anything better.

Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2015 at 10:29AM
Wow, that is indeed nice. What a find and I love that interior.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1972 Torino 460

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2015 at 11:19AM
Clap did the dog come with it? LOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2015 at 11:28AM
How was the transport service after the Russian picked it up from my house?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2015 at 1:11PM
John, that's our little weiner dog, Delilah.  She loves sitting in the sun.

Scott, the Russian must have only been transporting to a central location.  A guy named Mike delivered it.  I didn't meet him, as he delivered it 2 days earlier than expected, and I was out of town.  But, I talked to him on the phone, and he didn't sound Russian.  I had to get a friend to meet him.  Transport was great, although I'm a little peaved at the broker, Mercury Transport.  If I had known there was any chance it would have been delivered early, I would have held off.  They told me it would be 7-10 days, and it turned out to be 5.  Was a bit of a hassle trying to find someone to meet at the last minute.
Jeff

ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2015 at 3:14PM
Pretty clean indeed, I bet it smells better than mine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2015 at 1:25AM
No real updates to report.  However, I'm storing the car up at Dad's until I have time to work on it.  I was up there a couple of days ago, and needed to move it around.  Surprisingly, it started right up, and I was able to drive it in and out of the garage with no problems.  This was after it had been sitting for over 6 months.  No need to charge the battery, etc.  I just got in the car, turned the key, and it cranked right up.  This car would make a great daily driver.
Jeff

Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2016 at 4:07PM
See, THAT's what I've been wanting more and more. Bucket console car. Driver. Something I can enjoy and not freak out over the paint.

Andrew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2016 at 1:52AM
That is why I enjoyed my Cougar so much. Never worried about the exterior, inside was very nice and the car ran like a dream. Even the console lid and console itself were nice and tight.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1972 Torino 460

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2017 at 11:13AM
This weekend, I finally had some time to work on the Cougar and Tbird.  I transferred the white interior out of my Tbird into this Cougar.  And have the bucket seat interior ready to install into the Tbird.  I also fixed the front bumper brackets, and got the front end reassembled.  Here are some pics.

Jeff

kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2017 at 2:42PM
Things are coming along nicely.
JT, USAF Ret.
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
1986 Chevy Silverado "Sally"
2013 Chevy Silverado "Blackie"
2014 GMC Sierra
2006 Victory Hammer "Big Red"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2017 at 4:27PM
hell that looks good! so then you're selling the cougar and building the franken-bird right?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic