The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thunderstruck

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thunderstruck
    Posted: 03-August-2012 at 9:32AM
Thunderstruck. It's the most logical title we could give it (plenty of history behind that name).

This welcome addition to our family came with a truckload of extra parts, along with a bunch of additional parts filling the trunk and interior. It even started and ran. Beeehoohoowahhahahahaha (evil laugh)

Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

Hoosiermike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosiermike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2012 at 10:23AM
For the love of GOD!  Don't cut this one up!!!!!!!!!LOL
Mike Yeager
1972 Gran Torino 4dr
1972 GTS sport roof
'13 Toyota Tundra TRD
SininenIII View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SininenIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2012 at 11:19AM
You are going to rebuild this car? Doesn´t seem bad.
Aatu
73 Gran Torino Sport
http://public.fotki.com/Granaatu/
legend onirot View Drop Down
METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2012 at 12:16PM
Originally posted by Hoosiermike Hoosiermike wrote:

For the love of GOD!  Don't cut this one up!!!!!!!!!LOL

ill go ahead and put in my requests now...

i want the rear bumper, the deck lid, the radiator core support and the inner fender wells.  remember that i was the first to ask...  when you take the sawzall to it...

***insert evil laugh here***
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2012 at 2:22PM
Ha ha. I was talking to Alex earlier and filling him on some of the details of the car. Funny thing, Randy (Wideone) saw this car a couple of years ago and almost stopped to look at it - just amazing, considering that there are not a bunch of them out there.

I was shocked that the car runs as well as it does. Originally an S - Code (400), it now has a healthy 302 with a C4. Front seal in the tranny pours fluid, but I did get enough to hold to take it around the block. It's been converted to electronic ignition, has the late model plastic pump, and aluminum master cyl. New shocks and brakes, newer mandrel-bent aluminum exhaust with Flowmasters and large tips.

The body is pretty solid with the exception of the roof (vinyl roof car) so it looks like I'll be doing a top swap. Interior needs a headliner, carpet, dash pad and the front seat recovered to look new. Everything else looks fine in there. Has standard gauges and a factory clock - weird. Bench seat, column shift.

The Thunderstruck name came from the fact that during a severe storm, lightning must've hit the tree that the car was beside, causing a limb to break and come down on the car. Took out the hood, left fender, header panel, but he bought the parts to replace. Must've been some serious thunder with that one.

There is a complete set of 15 inch aluminum slots and new centers that came along with the car, along with some nice tires, and a ton of parts. The guy I bought it from is super nice and really didn't want to sell. I felt bed for him, as I've been there myself.

Anyhow, got it home, washed it (looks 100% better) and the red paint on it is the original. Going to be a fun car when we get done with it. Plans are to install a FI engine, AOD or 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, the works. C went out there and cleaned the door panels with leather cleaner and protectant and they turned out fantastic. Good reliable driver.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1972 Torino 460

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2012 at 4:52PM
And here I thought this was an AC/DC reference, lol.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2012 at 11:20PM
Paul, it was, just didn't know anyone was an AC/DC fan on here! I love AC/DC and always wanted a car I could apply a song title to and this one fit the bill. Actually, when it is running, "Girls Got Rhythm" fits it perfectly.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1972 Torino 460

antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2012 at 11:41PM
I was thinking more of "Night Prowler".
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2012 at 2:09AM
I have done work for Phil Rudd, and I have a few stories that I could post about him but wont.
He's a Kiwi and still lives in NZ.
His kids race V8 Falcons and they are doing well. 

Your girl looks like a "big Gun' to me - CRANK this up - 
1973 Q code sports roof
METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2012 at 3:31AM
i, for one, listen to BOTH types of music.  country AND western.  which are this ac/dc folks? 
---------------------
malcolm
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2012 at 4:27AM

One of the best uses of "Shoot to Thrill" I've ever seen.

Smile

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2012 at 4:43AM
well that didnt sound like any country nor western music i have ever heard.  interesting sound.
---------------------
malcolm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2012 at 5:22PM
Boys, I can listen to them all day and never get tired.

Kenneth, awesome suggestion for Big Gun. I think I'll use that for the wagon!

Malcolm, AC/DC started out as Alternative Country/Direct Country before getting into Rock...Not!       Brian Johnson is a super cool guy that loves cars and is as down-to-earth as any Joe Schmoe. Great article on him in AutoWeek testing out the new McLaren. He is the lead singer of AC/DC and has been with the band since 1980 or so. Angus Young (guy that dresses in a British Schoolboy outfit) and his brother Malcolm (!!) Young are guitarists, Phil Rudd is the past and now current drummer, and Phil Williams is the additional vocalist. Without a doubt one of the greatest bands that has ever been. The first cassette I ever had was Back in Black, and I still have it to this day.

Paul, freaking sweet videos of Thunderstruck and Shoot To Thrill. I was listening to that song and daydreaming about making a video of the GTS racing, drifting and generally turning the tires to jelly with that as a soundtrack. Think I may try that before I pull the engine and old tires - if I can coherce some of my buddies to follow me while shooting it.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1972 Torino 460

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2012 at 2:19AM
Alex, Night Prowler would be sweet if the name didn't remind me of either an 80's talking black Trans Am or a brilliantly executed (but poorly received) Chrysler product.

Received a Dearborn Classics magazine from the old owner and was perusing through it last night. Pretty cool that he had highlighted everything the car needed! I remember hearing some positive reviews on their products and service. Prices are high, but not ridiculious, and, hey, what are you going to do? Not an abundance of places carry things for our cars.

I noticed that the dash has been cut for a modern stereo. Mildly disappointing, but he did a good job and didn't crack anything. At least it is done and I can now install a good system without worry. It has a really nice wood steering wheel that was purchased from DC that would look great with a GTS emblem modified to fit. Different, yet cool. No real suprises otherwise inside.

The roof is the real bugaboo on the exterior. At least I have a decent replacement. Right 1/4 behind the rear wheel has a 2 inch hole that was poorly repaired with Bondo and gutter screening, floor pans on the passenger side have some small pin holes due to the open areas on the roof. Very sound otherwise. Trunk floor, cowl, left 1/4, wheelwells/lips, doors, fenders, etc are rust-free. I'm going to swap out the front clip with the replacement parts that came along with the car to repair the tree damage and a poorly repaired left fender. There are a few areas of "wavy" damage along the rear 1/4 panels, but I believe I can eliminate them by quelching alone. Frame is solid, rear end specs at a 2.75 open gear according the the pillar tag, front suspension was replaced a few years ago (but will be replaced with later model Torino components), Ford box with no slop(!), PS, PDB, nice exhaust. Emergency brake is there and functions well. Brakes were replaced a couple of years ago.

Engine is a strong little 302, HEI conversion, sounds nice, small RV cam, new headers, rebuilt carb. No leakes, no issues, sounds really good. Transmission was rebuilt, but front seal leaks like a faucet, has some sort of shift improver kit, no clunks when engaging R or D from the driveline. Radiator is suspect, A/C parts have been removed, alternator and plastic PS pump both do well with no problems, relatively clean in the compartment. It may be a smart move to install one of my AOD transmissions in there and drive it for a while with the 302. Won't be a powerhouse, but runs smooth and sounds the part.

All lights work, even interior lights. Seat belt light and buzzer work, horn does not.

Came with a complete set of 15 inch Slot wheels, but doubt I'll use them (may trade?) and the parts car has a set of 14 inch Slots. Bigs and Littles?

All in all, it seems much better than it looks. Once the roof is done, it'll be fun.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1972 Torino 460

stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2012 at 2:28AM
Good idea on the AOD install, especially since the old trans has to come out for repair anyway. What is quelching, heating and cooling to remove dents? Is it hard to do? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2012 at 2:39AM
Yep. I usually use a torch to heat the metal to varying degrees, then quelch with a wet rag. That will shrink the metal slightly - enough to remove small waves or depressions that dollying alone cannot quite get.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1972 Torino 460

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2012 at 3:51AM
Picture of it at home with it's new brother. Lots of extras to choose from.

Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1972 Torino 460

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2012 at 3:22PM
Been pretty busy with work and have not had a chance to work on the car. However, I have been thinking about what to do on the interior and exterior. Since it is a bench seat, column shift, standard dash car, there is no big loss on originality if I make some modifications.

I am going the route of bucket seats and console on the interior, with a performance eye. I have several sets of Prelude SIR seats that can easily be adapted to the floorpan. They are black cloth, modeled after Recaro racing seats and should fit well with the black interior panels. The rear seat can be upholstered in the same cloth to match. I will probably go with one of my original consoles, since one of them is for a 4 speed and will accomodate the 5 speed shifter well. Install an original black set of new carpet, upholster the Sport inserts in the door panels with the same seat material to bring it all together. I'll be installing one of the '72 Sport dashes with a new pad, along with a new factory headliner and a nice stereo (dash has already been cut).

Exterior is factory red (kind of an orangy-red)and will probably be changed to a dark charcoal or dark blackish-olive shade with no vinyl top. Wheels will be my 17/18 inch Charcoal Bullits. All exterior trim will be shaved, since I like the clean look, and the roof is going to be cut anyhow. Will install the full lazer wheelwell mouldings that I have and keep the bumper guards for a bit of style. It will have a 2 inch drop all around with all new suspension (bought for the wagon), the rear disc axle assembly I have and the 12 inch T Bird disc brakes.

Eventually, the future drivetrain will be a simple, fun, durable FI roller 5.0 with an E303 cam, the full length headers off the present 5.0, the matching 5 speed and a nice gear out back. Good economy, power, sound, and pretty fool-proof (on the hunt for an '89-93 5.0 Mustang for the donor car).

We just want something that we can jump in and drive 300 miles with no issues and a minimum of expense. I have most everything except the donor car, so that does not seem out of line.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1972 Torino 460

mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2012 at 3:29PM
Joe,
no difference between 4 speed or automatic consoles OR trim plates OR shifter humps.  Sounds like a cool project!  Sometimes its a bitch keeping mine stock for the pure stock drags.  one of these days i will need to pick one up to hot rod.
Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2012 at 3:51PM
Thanks Mike. Yours is indeed a beauty. I didn't know that about the consoles, so that'll make it easier to use the one that is already black.

In the past, I built my old cars back to stock - just to have them sit unused for fear of damage. No more. I have that desire to drive the snot out of them, and if they break, they break. Nothing that cannot be fixed back. Besides, I have always loved the sound of a strong small block going through the gears, and I can build a 302 easy as pie.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1972 Torino 460

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic