The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To Paint?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2019 at 11:34AM
Thanks for the input.

Interesting about the 72 bumper brackets...I didn't know they were different. I looked a bunch of 72 models today and they do seem tucked more than the 73. And you don't need the rubber piece? Sounds good as mine is damaged on one side anyway. I'll look into finding a pair, if anyone has some to sell, let me know. 

So as I said, I got that paint quote and the guy was skittish about removing the top and wanted to stay away from it as he has had bad experiences before. However, I thought of a plan. I really don't want Brown anything anymore. There's a place I talked to that does vinyl tops so I'm going to ask for the price to redo mine in Black. And like Alan pointed out, it might look bad with new paint an old sap stained vinyl. 

If the price is reasonable, I could take of the old vinyl, have a look and if it is bad, just plan on going with black after the paint. If it's good under there the painter dude already said we could opt to do the top then. 

Regardless, Black top and go with black interior, or painted top and change interior to black.  

btw My Girlfriend thinks I'm crazy. lol 

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Standard Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2019 at 4:00PM
well do you have any abnormal bumps under the top? usually around the bottom trim... if not it could be fine under the top Wink as far as trim holes to weld up there's not as many for the top as you'd think some holes and some nail head studs for plastic clips
 i'm sure he's scared that it will have huge rust holes like most do but being in the desert it's dry and may just be fine under there????
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2019 at 4:52PM
Like you, I was not fond of brown, and knew I could always add a VT later in black if needed. So I had the holes filled at paint and saved all the trim/hardware.......and I just love Gold Glow Metallic!

Then I started to like the ginger interior, and just stopped thinking about the top.......

Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2019 at 5:24PM
Your car looks great! Pretty mean looking with that low stance too 😎
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2019 at 2:05AM
 I know we are not voting here, but thought I'd chime in. I like the vinyl top even though they reek havoc on the metal roof underneath. Unfortunately it appears most were just slapped on with little to no protection back in the 70's. But after seeing this 72 without it, it looks pretty sweet. It's much cleaner and more aggressive for some reason. I may just have to change my vote. LOL!

Great job Brent. By the way your thread helped me a ton when you cleaned up your engine bay...I used it as a guide to do mine way back when. Clap   

Edited by gpd294 - 15-March-2019 at 2:07AM
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2019 at 8:38AM
Thanks Carlos, It's been so long since I looked at my thread that far back I forgot what was posted there. Sure was clean. Hasn't stayed that way! lol Needs a little refresh! 

You're wagon is awesome. I was just checking out your thread, looks to be a big hit at the car shows! 

I've almost sold my Torino several times over the last 10 years and bought some sort of wagon...I grew up in wagons. The last one my family owned was a 73 Gran Torino Bronze one. My Mom traded it in on a 78 Bobcat during the gas crunch. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of either.  
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2019 at 1:18PM
This is one of the few pictures I have of my Mom's old '72 Squire. It is what started my love of Torinos.

Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2019 at 1:20PM
Even after all these years, I can still remember what that 400 sounded like when running hard.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2019 at 2:20PM
Getting closer to handing the car over to the body/paint guy...probably in a week or so. I was thinking of changing my interior to black. Part of that would be swapping out my wood grain instrument cluster and passenger side dash panel.

Anyone have any extras and would like to trade? 

Looking for Black like these...  

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2019 at 3:30PM
We should talk, cuz I want switch to woodgrain. I think we can work something out.

Dave F
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2019 at 6:27PM
on the torino piece there's 2 different lengths... a/c are shorter than non a/c Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2019 at 5:50AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

on the torino piece there's 2 different lengths... a/c are shorter than non a/c Wink

I was wondering why the one in the picture looked so long. My car came with A/C so it's the shorter one I need. There's a black short one at the junkyard in good shape, but it only says Torino on it.

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2019 at 5:56PM
So with the car at the painters, I have been looking at different options for interior. One way I'm leaning is getting bucket seats. Also was thinking about putting in some sort of console. Can someone tell me how wide the original consoles are for Gran Torinos? I found something that might work, but I think it's a little thin...
I think finding an affordable console is doubtful, so I'm looking at alternatives. 

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2019 at 7:59PM
not sure 8"??? i can call my buddy dave tomorrow and have him measure his, it's out of the car, if he has a tape measure?!!Confused

don't forget to get a few in progress paint pics Big smileThumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2019 at 4:19PM
Haven't gotten anymore pictures yet. The painter is having drama getting the vinyl top glue off. I offered to do it when he leaves next week for a short trip, but he said he'd get it. 

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2019 at 3:48PM
It took a long time, but the paint is done and I'm putting it back together. Without all that trim...I want to put some type of stripe on the car. I've looked at quite a few different schemes and drew out one or two of my own, but there really isn't a whole bunch of them that appeal to me. 

Of course when someone says "Stripe" and "Torino" together you almost always think of the S&H Stripe and the Lazer Stripe. Both of those are classic, but not what I want. Here's a few of the ones I've seen in image searches:

This one is kinda cool...different how it tapers out towards the rear. 

Nice Classic look with the rear body line filled in. Stripes on the hood are a bit much for me. 

Looks a bit like a Boss Mustang Style...Looks good on this car. 

Not a Stripe, but like the car color lol 

Another version of the rear body line filled in, but with something more than just a solid color. 

Lower stripe taking the place of the lower body molding. Not bad. 

Hmmmmm...Not quite liking this one. The lower part is too much for me. But I like the Torino worded in there. 

Something is off on this one. Too busy maybe. 

This one is really cool. A bit Mopar looking plus a front end accent. 

Another Classic Rear body line fill in coming forward. Nice. 

Casey's Copperhead Rear Body Line fill in seems to hit the mark. I like the way he ended the stripe behind the front wheel and incorporated some letter and some edge secondary stripping. I took this picture into photoshop and graphed my wheels on it and turned the color gold and it looks really good to me. Casey, hope you don't mind, but I'll probably copy this style except have different wording added. 
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2019 at 4:26PM
Your photo shop looks sweet. Whatever suits your fancy us what you should do. Me, I would wait a while and keep looking before you stripe it. It isn't cheap to repaint once it is done. 
  Are there any stripe kits that peel off without effort, like a kids window decals? Then you could have time to give it 100% satisfaction and not have any doubts as to your choice.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2019 at 4:34PM
i really like casey's the gt makes it! Wink

the black one at the top is cool too....

the yellow mopar style is cool Big smile  there was a member on here that was going to paint his like that but lime green for the color IIRC
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2019 at 4:49PM
That wasn't my photoshop picture...This is the one I made. With my wheels and "Gold Rush" wording. But I'll have chrome bumpers and trim also the stripe I'm looking into having put on will be vinyl, not painted on. 

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2019 at 5:09PM
Definitely nice. And good call on vinyl. 

I wish my stripe were vinyl. I have no choice with mine. Some day it is getting a laser stripe, it is something I always wanted along with new wheels. Half way there. Haha
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2019 at 5:21PM
Originally posted by handsofstone handsofstone wrote:

Definitely nice. And good call on vinyl. 

I wish my stripe were vinyl. I have no choice with mine. Some day it is getting a laser stripe, it is something I always wanted along with new wheels. Half way there. Haha

Your white stripe looks good with the dark blue...but those laser stripes do look good, especially on a Sport Roof. 

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2019 at 3:03AM
That very top stripe is the one I'm doing on my car. Green car white stripes.
ZC
2016 F-150 xl 2.7 liter
73 Gran Torino Formal roof, Ten damn years, and its almost there.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2019 at 3:23AM
Clap the gold rush!! hell yeah that looks sweet Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2019 at 4:08AM

Clap the gold rush!! hell yeah that looks sweet Wink

Gold Rush is the favorite right now. I've used some different fonts and wording and sizes...it's a hard choice. Some of the other wording has been: Gold Fever, 351, GTB, Gold Strike, Golden Oldie (the longer ones need small font about the size of the Gran Torino emblems) Golden Rule and a couple others I can't think of right now. Leaning towards Gold Rush like I said especially since it has the girlfriend's vote lol 
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2019 at 5:08PM
no meant gold rush and the font just like in the pic Thumbs Up and if the GF agrees that good too! what does the cat think?Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2019 at 5:33PM
Do you watch the show Gold Rush? One of my favorites. Your car is rockin no matter how you stripe it. 
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2019 at 4:23PM
Originally posted by handsofstone handsofstone wrote:

Do you watch the show Gold Rush? One of my favorites. Your car is rockin no matter how you stripe it. 

I haven't seen it, but I don't watch much TV except sports and netflix type series. I looked it up though, seems interesting. 
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2019 at 7:55AM
for whatever reason i keep thinking of some form of a mopar style 'strobe' stripe for my Ranchero

even if it's just 1/2" - 3/4" over the fender arches?

72 GT Ute

M Casey Stock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M Casey Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2020 at 4:45PM

i really like casey's the gt makes it!

Thanks Johnny, I put a lot of thought into it. The coolest part is that it's real, not photo shopped. LOL

Edited by M Casey Stock - 03-February-2020 at 5:44PM
1975 Gran Torino, Copperhead

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/75-gran-torino-soft-restoration-copper-head_topic15137_post169060.html?KW=#169060
M Casey Stock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M Casey Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2020 at 5:20PM
LOL...mine isn't photoshopped. It's the real deal. Don't mind the script, I actually considered putting "Sport" instead of GT but since it isn't a true sport I settled on GT, in my case standing for "Gran Torino"  I've never been a fan of the aluminum slots, a bit to S&H for my taste. I have made a change from the 500s though, something a little more up to date LOL.
1975 Gran Torino, Copperhead

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/75-gran-torino-soft-restoration-copper-head_topic15137_post169060.html?KW=#169060
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>