The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To Paint?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2019 at 11:34AM
Thanks for the input.

Interesting about the 72 bumper brackets...I didn't know they were different. I looked a bunch of 72 models today and they do seem tucked more than the 73. And you don't need the rubber piece? Sounds good as mine is damaged on one side anyway. I'll look into finding a pair, if anyone has some to sell, let me know. 

So as I said, I got that paint quote and the guy was skittish about removing the top and wanted to stay away from it as he has had bad experiences before. However, I thought of a plan. I really don't want Brown anything anymore. There's a place I talked to that does vinyl tops so I'm going to ask for the price to redo mine in Black. And like Alan pointed out, it might look bad with new paint an old sap stained vinyl. 

If the price is reasonable, I could take of the old vinyl, have a look and if it is bad, just plan on going with black after the paint. If it's good under there the painter dude already said we could opt to do the top then. 

Regardless, Black top and go with black interior, or painted top and change interior to black.  

btw My Girlfriend thinks I'm crazy. lol 

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Standard Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2019 at 4:00PM
well do you have any abnormal bumps under the top? usually around the bottom trim... if not it could be fine under the top Wink as far as trim holes to weld up there's not as many for the top as you'd think some holes and some nail head studs for plastic clips
 i'm sure he's scared that it will have huge rust holes like most do but being in the desert it's dry and may just be fine under there????
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2019 at 4:52PM
Like you, I was not fond of brown, and knew I could always add a VT later in black if needed. So I had the holes filled at paint and saved all the trim/hardware.......and I just love Gold Glow Metallic!

Then I started to like the ginger interior, and just stopped thinking about the top.......

Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2019 at 5:24PM
Your car looks great! Pretty mean looking with that low stance too 😎
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2019 at 2:05AM
 I know we are not voting here, but thought I'd chime in. I like the vinyl top even though they reek havoc on the metal roof underneath. Unfortunately it appears most were just slapped on with little to no protection back in the 70's. But after seeing this 72 without it, it looks pretty sweet. It's much cleaner and more aggressive for some reason. I may just have to change my vote. LOL!

Great job Brent. By the way your thread helped me a ton when you cleaned up your engine bay...I used it as a guide to do mine way back when. Clap   

Edited by gpd294 - 15-March-2019 at 2:07AM
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2019 at 8:38AM
Thanks Carlos, It's been so long since I looked at my thread that far back I forgot what was posted there. Sure was clean. Hasn't stayed that way! lol Needs a little refresh! 

You're wagon is awesome. I was just checking out your thread, looks to be a big hit at the car shows! 

I've almost sold my Torino several times over the last 10 years and bought some sort of wagon...I grew up in wagons. The last one my family owned was a 73 Gran Torino Bronze one. My Mom traded it in on a 78 Bobcat during the gas crunch. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of either.  
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 1:18PM
This is one of the few pictures I have of my Mom's old '72 Squire. It is what started my love of Torinos.

Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 1:20PM
Even after all these years, I can still remember what that 400 sounded like when running hard.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic