The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC part question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montego01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC part question
    Posted: 20-July-2014 at 7:15AM
What do you call the part I have circled in the image below?
And it's purpose?

Scott
72 Montego GT 429 build thread
1966 Chevy C10
1973 Montego MX
2004 Bonneville GXP
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2014 at 7:27AM
i believe it's called a receiver dryer, it's basically a filter
http://www.carparts.com/classroom/ac1.htm
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2014 at 10:09AM
what he said \/ \/

it's been a while

the R/D is up front by the condenser

===================================

early systems use a R/D, later systems use an Accumulator

the R/D guarantees liquid to the Condenser, while the Accumulator prevents liquid to the Compressor

===================================

I think I got it that time. i'll now step AWAY from the screwdriver before I hurt myself

Edited by Rockatansky - 20-July-2014 at 10:23AM
72 GT Ute

mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2014 at 10:10AM
that is the accumulator.  reciever drier is connected to the side of the condensor.

Mike
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2014 at 11:05AM
i thought at first it was called an accumulator, but i couldn't remember so i looked it up on the internet (guess you can't believe everything you read on the internet)Embarrassed
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2014 at 11:07AM
Here is a description of the accumulator's function.
Note: Some of Ford's A/C systems did not require an accumulator. Those that used an A6 a/c compressor(75-76 Tbird and/or Lincolns) are an example. Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Montego01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montego01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2014 at 10:36PM
Great...thanks for the info.
I did notice though that I saw some systems changed out with the Sanden compressor and new lines and the system did not have it. So like Todd mentioned, I guess some of the systems did not need it possibly depending on the compressor.
That's a good thing if I end up changing the system over....seems I may not even need to look for one :)
Scott
1966 Chevy C10
1973 Montego MX
2004 Bonneville GXP
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2014 at 2:51AM
I was wondering about that part also because from what I have read accumulators are used in systems that use an orifice tube. Our systems use a suction throttle valve and generally would not need an accumulator. It is interesting to note above that changeover to a modern style compressor negates the need for it. Since I am putting together my system, I would like to verify it isn't needed since I plan to use a sanden style compressor.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2014 at 3:30AM
Scott,
 Not sure what brackets you are using for the A/C and/or PS pump, but this modern A6 replacement is available, uses Nippondenso internals and is supposed to be a direct replacement for an A6(uses the original brackets AND hoses). I am going to replace my A6 with this unit.

S6 Replacement Compressor in Chrome

Here is another style of A6 replacement from Delco/4 seasons, also uses factory brackets/hoses, can be found on Rockauto.com. They were once called a "Pro6ten" compressor and sold by Classic Auto Air, but they are now found under the Delco/4 seasons name. I have heard/read that this compressor is based on a Sanden unit, but not 100% sure.

Good luck. Todd

Edited by aquartlow - 21-July-2014 at 3:36AM

gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2014 at 4:17AM
Originally posted by Montego01 Montego01 wrote:

Great...thanks for the info.
I did notice though that I saw some systems changed out with the Sanden compressor and new lines and the system did not have it. So like Todd mentioned, I guess some of the systems did not need it possibly depending on the compressor.
That's a good thing if I end up changing the system over....seems I may not even need to look for one :)

I have one that I cleaned up and painted prior to switching over to the new Sanden system. Let me know if you decide that you will need one. As a matter of fact I have the old compressor as well. 
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2014 at 6:50AM
Todd I do not have a bracket yet but I am using stock brackets and pulleys for a 78 f250. I think the traditional York plate would fit in that combo, but is the A6 bracket similar? This would be for a big block, which may be an issue since they did not have car big blocks past 76 and didn't use an A6 until like 78? Or maybe it fits in the same location?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2014 at 7:20AM
Scott,
 The York compressor uses a totally different bracket compared to an A6. Here is a pic or 2 of 429-460 brackets that allow an A6 and Saginaw PS pump to be installed into an intermediate without any issues with the front DS control arm.

This pic shows the larger bracket which holds both the Saginaw PS pump and an A6 compressor with the use of the "C" bracket that attaches to the front of the compressor.

This pic is of the main bracket that bolts to the 460's head/block on the DS behind the larger "flat bracket that attaches the PS pump/A6.

Here they are installed on my '79 Ranchero.

There is another 460 bracket that allows the install of a Saginaw PS pump and A6 compressor but it mounts the A6 further back towards the firewall where it WILL interfere with the DS upper control arm and/or mount. Here is a pic, you can see the differences between the two.
Here are two pics showing the A6's attachment bracket that shows how much it moves the compressor rearward.
In this pic it shows the "C" bracket and it is basically flat.

This shows both a/c compressor brackets, both for an A6. The left one, "C" bracket moves the compressor forward.  The right one, fully circular bracket, shows the bend in the bracket which moves the compressor rearward causing the compressor to hit/interfere with the DS upper control arm and/or UCA mount.

Sorry for the long post and not a "yes" or "no" answer, I figured the info could possibly be helpful. Todd

Edited by aquartlow - 21-July-2014 at 7:21AM

Montego01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montego01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2014 at 6:16AM
Thanks everyone that replied to this thread.
My ac is a factory installed system using the York. So I have all the brackets except the adapter bracket for the Sanden which seems to be available.
I've decided just to use the Sanden. 

Looks like a nice setup Todd. Looks to be kind of reverse of the York setup where the compressor is on top and the power steering pump is on bottom.

I have a more recent thread started...should probably just close this one - thanks
Scott
1966 Chevy C10
1973 Montego MX
2004 Bonneville GXP
lewistg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewistg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2017 at 1:40AM
I just ran across this post. I am in need of the horseshoe brackets for my engine. Or does anyone sell a conversion bracket?
lewistg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewistg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2017 at 1:41AM
Aquartlow, where can i find the article u shared?
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2017 at 1:49AM
Which article? I highlighted a couple. BTW, Welcome to the forum, I see that this is just your second reply/posting. I will be happy to help if possible.

As far as the bracket...I have a complete set of A/C, PS brackets/plate/mounting base, but looking to keep them as they are getting VERY difficult to find. You can find these brackets on mid 70's BBF Lincolns, big Ford the Mercury's can be different, just need to pay attention to the A/C bracket. I do not know of anyone making these.  

Edited by aquartlow - 08-August-2017 at 1:56AM

lewistg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewistg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2017 at 3:18AM
The article from super motors with the pictures of the different brackets.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2017 at 4:44AM
If you look at my signature at the bottom of any of my replies/posts you will see my Supermotors link. Basically shows what I have done to my Ranchero over the years, too bad I have left A LOT of pics unposted and/or lost between computer "changes". 

Post Reply Post Reply