The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another small block advice thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
closetwino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote closetwino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another small block advice thread
    Posted: 14-December-2020 at 1:33PM
I feel that this thread has been hijacked by 4.6......
68 Ford Ranchero 302 Auto
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2018 at 10:15AM
Originally posted by n2fordwagons n2fordwagons wrote:

Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

^^^ oh that's right! Shocked yes those fins will allow the air to flow over those fins lengthwise, and should increase your top speed, especially if they are the old cal custom style fins!!! and make it more stable on the straight a ways WinkLOL

it just so happens that they are old cal custom valve covers.
Rofl!
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2018 at 1:13AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

if they're not already done, consider doing the spark plug inserts as a preventive measure

Absolutely. Thumbs Up
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2018 at 3:03PM
if they're not already done, consider doing the spark plug inserts as a preventive measure
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2018 at 2:02PM
Originally posted by 7T9_Tbird 7T9_Tbird wrote:

Fel-Pro, always.
x2!Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2018 at 12:01PM
Fel-Pro, always.
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2018 at 11:11AM
Forgot to ask, any preferences of brands for a good set of gaskets? I need all of them. 2002 2V 4.6L Mustang GT
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2018 at 10:56AM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

If you stick with the 302, 2 1/2" duals is a bit large,
a cam for a 351W will fit, the engine will need to run the 351 firing order.
a 351 cam will act more radical in a 302, so a cam that is a little lumpy in a 351 will be noticeably lumpier in a 302.
Finned valve covers will not only add horsepower, but at least 20 MPH on the top end and double fuel mileage.
3.50 gears will make the car a LOT more fun, but will make the car busier at expressway speeds.
So adding finned covers will add more HP in a 429/460 as well? From running cooler I presume?
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2018 at 10:53AM
Oh, btw, I moved to Azusa, CA about 4 years ag, forgot to post it. This place is the pit of H*ll, super hot all year around. I live in one of the 4 BACKHOUSES down a driveway, never seen THAT before. Well, that's efficient use of your real estate, eh? Apparently I'm the only one smart enough to put a tarp up over my driveway so I can work outside (ol' lady wont let me build s**t in the living room, whats wrong with women???).
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2018 at 10:48AM
Wow, thx for the info, this is exactly what I'm talking about, all the little side notes about stuff, it actually makes this build scarier. I know I can pull it off, though. The heads are brand new aluminum, and all the parts I'm using and will be acquiring are/will also be new. They are forged Ibeam rods btw. I did find something out from Manley in that there has to be .030 piston to wall clearance on their forged pistons due to expansion. When I got it (lucky dude that had me do this cause I'm so an*l about s**t being right, hehe), it had a little rust in a few of the cylinders and had several thousandths taken out and was afraid he couldn't use his new pistons but he was dangerously UNDERbored, if he'd had run it it would have seized. Thanksfor the wealth of info AGAIN! LOVE this site. Laterz, any other tips, sites super welcomed.
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2018 at 3:17PM
original spark plugs were 2 piece and they separate leaving 1/2 in the head with no hex

and the plug holes are only threaded 1/2 their depth so the threads are weak, plugs either seize and take out the threads or come loose and pull threads as they blow out

several companies make repair inserts
72 GT Ute

7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2018 at 2:55PM
the Few things i know about the 4.6 SOHC motor;  

1. The factory head bolts are torque-to-yield. You don't reuse the factory head bolts, you buy new ones, either factory or aftermarket.
2. the factory rods are not machined where they meet the caps, and vice-versa.  They use what they call a "cracked powdered metal connecting rod", where the rods cap is snapped off during machining, making what is supposed to be a perfect mating surface between the rod and cap.  If your reusing the rods, make sure they are marked for location in the motor and orientation to each other,
3. They use a crank-driven oil pump.
4. Be careful installing the spark plugs. Some heads use a collar that threads into the head, then the plug threads into the collar.  older motors have been reported to fire stripped plugs and collars through the hood(not kidding-look it up).

My dad has one in his '46 ford, and i have a 4.6 DOHC motor from a Mark VIII Lincoln on a stand, waiting for the right project.  Good luck with it, it's a VERY complex piece of hardware.
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2018 at 2:17PM
4.6 is a MOD motor, no lifters, no pushrods ... cam followers
72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2018 at 12:15PM
4.6 isn't that the newer style motors they used in the early crown vic cop cars??? IIRC those were overhead cam...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2018 at 8:37AM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

3.50 gears will make the car a LOT more fun, but will make the car busier at expressway speeds.

I ran 2.5" duals with a summit version of the magnaflow mufflers, even with the 2.79 gears i could light the tire up from a dead punch for about 15 feet, now that I put 3.55's in (8" rear) i can light them up for much longer, cars is much more fun to drive around these Appalachian twisty roads and hills. I can cruise at 65 mph and the rpm's aren't too bad with the 225/70/14's On wet road though if i punch it at 50-60 the tire will break loose. this is in my 73 base 302/c4 car which is bone stock. I think 2.5" is fine for a 302, even one of these low comp smog era motors.
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2018 at 7:51AM
I have a Pertronix flamethrower III and it works flawlessly. I bought the 60K volt coil too, looks bad a**.
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2018 at 7:45AM
Ok, I'm sorry this engine isn't anything classic (though I'm sure it will be), but I'm building a 2002 4.6L 2v mustang gt motor for a friend and its missing a lot of parts and I'm wondering if any of you have any resources having to do with all the parts needed, torque values, etc. That would be freaking awesome! Thx in advance! He has aluminum heads and cams and a Victor Jr intake instead of the factory intake and he's gonna be using the throttle body to feed it. Its got Manley forged pistons, forged crank and ibeam rods and roller rockers. Don't see any lifters or pushrods though, gak! No valve springs either, was thinking about some services. Think its gonna need valves as well, didn't see any. Its bored out to a 5.0 as well.
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2017 at 4:45AM
Any recommendations on ignition?  Will my existing Duraspark II be sufficient?  I found this post on HAMB, where a couple of folks actually recommended the Duraspark over HEI and others.

Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2017 at 10:03AM
'rebuilder' pistons usually over compensate for the increased bore diameter with an excessing capacity dish to prevent the rebuilt engine from getting into an octane requirement problem

if you're going to re-cam the engine using the existing bottom end, make sure you don't choose a cam that asks for more static compression ratio than you have, overall performance will suffer due to reduced cylinder pressure. in general performance cams assume that you will have better than stock static CR, you'll want to choose a cam that improves cylinder pressure. indicators will be short advertised and .050" duration numbers and low or no overlap at all

the 'hotter' the cam the more static CR it wants
72 GT Ute

dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2017 at 9:13AM
Originally posted by n2fordwagons n2fordwagons wrote:

Anyone know what compression on my 302 should be? Stock 79 bored .030 over.
8:1
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2017 at 8:29AM
now this would be a nice addition to all that and would fit all under the hood and really wake that car up a bit!!!Big smile

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TORQSTORM-SUPERCHARGER-SYSTEM-SMALL-BLOCK-FORD-302-351W-ARP-K-FD302-/272255574200?hash=item3f63b260b8:g:-GcAAOSwBahVfZJG&vxp=mtr

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2017 at 8:05AM
Anyone know what compression on my 302 should be? Stock 79 bored .030 over.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2017 at 6:14AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

^^^ oh that's right! Shocked yes those fins will allow the air to flow over those fins lengthwise, and should increase your top speed, especially if they are the old cal custom style fins!!! and make it more stable on the straight a ways WinkLOL

it just so happens that they are old cal custom valve covers.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2017 at 5:48PM

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2017 at 12:43PM
a cam for a 351W will fit, the engine will need to run the 351 firing order.
a 351 cam will act more radical in a 302, so a cam that is a little lumpy in a 351 will be noticeably lumpier in a 302.
Finned valve covers will not only add horsepower, but at least 20 MPH on the top end and double fuel mileage.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2017 at 12:37PM
I fixed the link:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lun-10350701
The specs are below:
UPC: 788120715676
Cam Style: Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,000-5,500
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 213
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 219
Advertised Intake Duration: 256
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 262
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.483 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.499 in.
Lobe Separation (degrees): 112
Computer-Controlled Compatible: No
Valve Springs Required: Yes

Edited by dave302 - 10-February-2017 at 12:43PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2017 at 12:10PM
Probably cuz I did it from my phone, and it had was their mobile site. Try again.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2017 at 12:00PM
link wouldn't work for me. but yes you can change the firing order
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2017 at 11:40AM
A local friend of mine who might help me likes lunati voodoo cams. This one looks appealing but the application chart says it's for a 69-85 351w. Will it work in my 302? Maybe just change my firing order?https://summitracing.com/parts/lun-10350701/applications?prefilter=1

Edited by n2fordwagons - 10-February-2017 at 12:07PM
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2017 at 3:22AM
5hp????probably at least 10hp ShockedLOL go 2 1/2" on the exhaust pipes dual!!!!Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>