The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Other Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Panther suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Panther suggestions
    Posted: 10-February-2018 at 8:12AM
I just got a Grand Marquis (Crown Vic brother) for a driver and wanted to upgrade it a bit. I figure there are a few of us on here that may have on of these in their fleet and could divulge some secrets. Some of the things I'd like to do:

Exhaust
Wheels
Exterior mods

I have a set of stainless dual exhaust off a 1994 TC that look as if they might bolt up to the existing pipes. Going to replace the mufflers with something more aggressive to let it breathe like Flows, or Magnas. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Wheels...I'd love a set of 17 or 18 inch GT wheels to give it a better stance, so any suggestions?

Exterior mods. Marauder parts would be awesome, but they are so rare and expensive that I'll be looking for a more cost-effective solution. Ideas?

Anything else you guys might think of to take it from ordinary to something actually cool to drive would be welcome.

Here's the car.

Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2018 at 9:38AM
What year is it? 98-02 and 03-up are two different chassis and suspension setups...
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2018 at 10:56AM
Factory aluminum wheels would look good (or at least better than the plastic hubcaps).
Mustang wheels fit, depends on backspace and year.
Police springs/shocks.
Dual exhaust. - Factory parts are available, add mufflers with the sound you like, don't go crazy with exhaust diameter.
Maybe colormatch the chrome parts.

Keep the Sawzall away.
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2018 at 12:26PM
Joe,
 Try here for some ideas,
 went there when I was doing my brake upgrade. Good looking vehicle!

Just NOT THIS!
Image result for grand marquis donk
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2018 at 12:37PM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

Joe,
 Try here for some ideas,
 went there when I was doing my brake upgrade. Good looking vehicle!

Just NOT THIS!

When we were in Memphis a few years back I came up behind a Crown on the interstate. Something seemed off about it. As I passed I saw it had those giant wheels on the front and normal 15''s on the back. I guess they could only afford 2?   
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2018 at 1:51PM
Looks nice Joe!  If you can find a scrap yard with a CVPI car, you might be able to get a bunch of performance goodies.  I'd definitely do dual exhaust, and do a CVPI springs, shocks and sway bars.  Does it have the air suspension in the rear?  You can also upgrade the sway bars too.  Going by memory, I think the rear gears on the GM's are less aggressive than the cop cars or the Muaraders.  

On the looks front, I'd ditch the front grille or at least black it out.  This car looks to be older than 2003?  So it should have the old style chassis with normal springs on it, not the coil overs.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2018 at 2:59PM
LOL i was just thinking this before i scrolled down this far, throw some 24's on there...you can be rollin with da brutha's joe LOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2018 at 3:19PM
Pimpin' ain't easy

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2018 at 4:47PM
LOL!!!

It is an '02. 2.79 gears, but I can find a setup at the pull-a-part with some 3.55's with the CVPI springs and sway bars. It is the full coil spring setup. I want to drop it an inch or two to sit it down but yet retain a decent ride.

I am eliminating the chrome on the car and probably spraying it black, since it is a bit scratched up from the previous owners dogs. 1 family owned car and at $500, I just could not pass it up. Lots of new goodies under the hood, too.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2018 at 5:13PM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

LOL!!!

It is an '02. 2.79 gears, but I can find a setup at the pull-a-part with some 3.55's with the CVPI springs and sway bars. It is the full coil spring setup. I want to drop it an inch or two to sit it down but yet retain a decent ride.

I am eliminating the chrome on the car and probably spraying it black, since it is a bit scratched up from the previous owners dogs. 1 family owned car and at $500, I just could not pass it up. Lots of new goodies under the hood, too.

If it's an 02, that's the last year for the conventional chassis (like our Torinos). So that means Marauder wheels are a no-go. 

My brother had a 96 years ago, and we notched the rear bumper cover and put on a set of Marauder resonator tips, and it looked awesome. We also removed the factory mufflers. So it was just cats and tips, and it sounded incredible. 

You already know about the CVPI suspension parts. Don't forget that Metco makes nice rear control arms for that car (that also fit our torinos). 

Power wise, there's nothing different about a CVPI motor. Just a different tune, but it doesn't give much more power than a stock car. Being an 02, you already have the PI (performance improved) heads, so that's a plus. 

Obviously some gearing will help. If you pull the axles, take a look at the bearing area and make sure there's no pitting or wear. It was a big issue on those cars, but mostly on the 31 spline rears, and not the 28 spline. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2018 at 7:06PM
Being an 02, if you go with Bullits, won't you need spacers?  I thought these cars had back spacing closer to our cars.  I don't know what the back spacing on the 94-04 Mustangs is, compared to these cars.  I'm assuming that's the Bullits you're looking for.

Another wheel option is those 16" lace / BBS style wheels.  They usually show up at the Pull a Part on a frequent basis, and can be had for cheap.
Jeff

76 Mercury Montego MX Villager w/ 460
79 Ford Thunderbird w/ T-tops
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2018 at 1:28AM

LOL!!!

If the chrome isn't too deeply scratched, another option to painting it would be to use a "green" scotch-brite pad on it to make it more of a satin finish. 

changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2018 at 1:28AM
Yep, lots you can do to these cars to give them the aggressive look you want. Wheels and the Marauder tips are the first places to start! You can get the blacked-out headlight look by taking the lense housings apart and spraying the chrome black. Black out the grill and chrome delete will get you on your way.  Honestly, the sky is the limit with these! My old 04 GM and my current 03 Marauder:

Matt

1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2018 at 12:36PM
i got a set of wheels from this outfit but IDK if they're coming back or what?

http://www.newtakeoff.com/

here's a groovy tire fitment app

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1061930&nt=51&page=1

All panthers use a 5x4.5" bolt pattern, and a ~70.5mm hub centerbore

92-02:
  • All '92-'97s require 15" wheels minimum to clear the front calipers. 'All 98+ require at least a 16" wheel to clear their larger front dual piston calipers. (15" will clear in the rear, however)
    • There have been mentions of people grinding down their 98-02 fronts calipers to allow use of 15" wheels. I do not recommend this.
  • All '98+ use 16" wheels as standard equipment, 17" if it was a CV Sport (and later Town Cars and 18" for Marauder)
  • -97s received 15" steel wheels as standard equipment on base models, 15" alloys on upper models and 16" alloys on 93+ HPPs
  • All of the 16" and 17" rims are 7" in width, the 15" wheels are 6.5" in width however I have heard the 'Police' 15" steel wheels may be 7" The primary difference between CVPI and 'base' -'97 15" steel wheels is the police wheels can accept 'dog dish' center caps.
  • The offset for all -02 is ~6mm (depending on rim model), though a 0mm offset can be used without any trouble provided you keep the width reasonable.

03+

• All came with at least 16" wheels, 17" for LX Sport. '03+ Town Cars and 18" for Marauders. All can use the 16" rims, however.
  • The width is again 7", Though the Marauder's are 8" to run larger width tires
  • The offset is high, ~50mm *Though anything in the ~40-~50mm range is acceptable.

Other Wheel info:
  • 05+ / s197 Mustang, all 03+ panther, and 2002-2005 Explorer wheels are a direct fit for 03+ panthers.
    • **Note: There is a clearance issue between the wheel and front calipers when using *some* '05+ Mustang wheels on '03+ panthers. This appears to be limited to the polished 18" 5-spoke "Bullitt" factory Ford wheels, and the 2013 19" rims pictured in this post. If you run into this problem, slip-on style 1/4" spacers will space the wheel far enough to gain adequate clearance.
  • s197 05+ Mustang / 03+ panther / 2002-2005 Explorer wheels will fit -02 panthers with the use wheel adapters, measuring at least ~30mm/1.25"+. Hub centric adapters recommended
    • 1.5" preferred. Aero owners may want to use 2" on rear.
  • 94-04 sn95/5x4.5" FACTORY mustang wheels can be used on -02 panthers, provided a wheel adapter/spacer measuring at ~1/4"+ is used on the front wheels to compensate for increased offset.
    • Larger spacers will bring wheels further out to fender well lips. 1/4" is minimum for front ball joint clearance, and is adequate up to (and including) the 8" Cobra rims. 20mm+ preferred all around for the right look. (Aero owners should use a larger spacer in the rear to fill the wheel wells out more)
    • Hub centric adapters recommended. Increased rim width will effect offset and minimum spacer size calculation. If you're going beyond factory Mustang wheels just keep that in mind and size your spacers accordingly.
  • s95 (94-04)/5x4.5" Mustang wheels have too low of an offset for 03+ panthers, the wheels may protrude past the wheel openings.
  • For aero owner's looking for better handling, -02 panther 16" (and 17") wheels are a direct fit, size 225/60/16 tires are closest to the diameter of your original 15" wheel/tire combo.
  • Kenny Brown panthers used 18x8" Ronal R-7 wheels, using 245/45/18 tires
  • 2006+ CVPIs use 17" wheels. These wheels are a direct swap on all 2003+ panthers.
    • They can be used on -02 provided hub centric adapters (1.5") are used on all 4 wheels.

and a sketch i made long before i found the online app

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2018 at 2:00AM
Awesome info, guys.

Jeff, I have planned on using spacers on the wheels to give it a better look.

Rock, that is great information and cool wheels.

Matt, that GM gives me hope that even a maroon car can look good. Excellent look!

I took it out yesterday to run an errand. Those seats can be positioned to make you feel like you are on a couch. Suspension is a bit mushy (read soft) so I want to firm it up. That 4.6 just sounds great, even with the original exhaust, so I may try installing the duals w/o mufflers to see what it sounds like.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2018 at 3:54AM

Those seats can be positioned to make you feel like you are on a couch 

Haha there's a guy that goes by Rocket Couch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkguGLBCuxw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxM6YM2RjM8

i paid $99 each for those 2015 Stang wheels then they went on sale even cheaper

the center caps are an unusual size, smaller than 2 1/8" IIRC is the norm

FWIW i'd leave the look pretty much as it is. Black kinda sucks sometimes

Edited by Rockatansky - 12-February-2018 at 3:56AM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2018 at 4:15PM
I would not have considered painting it, but the previous owner's 2 pit bulls chewed all the side moldings off the doors and fenders on the passenger side. Nothing left except a glue strip and a bunch of teeth marks in the paint.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2018 at 8:16AM
these are the Explorer Sport wheels i was hot for but i think they're 20's

http://www.hubcaphaven.com/p/10773/aly3949-ford-explorer-wheel-black-machined-db5z1007a.html

i got the whole set of Magnetic Gloss 18's delivered for the price of 1 

Rockauto newsletter just announced they're carrying these 

https://upgradeyourauto.com/brands/JTE-Wheel.html

Edited by Rockatansky - 15-February-2018 at 8:18AM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2018 at 3:41PM
17 X 9.5 polished American racing Torque Thrust wheels and tires. Got them today and...honestly, they are almost too nice for the GM.

Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2018 at 3:42PM
Who would have thought a 235/60-17 would fit on a 9.5 inch rim? Not me.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2018 at 1:16PM
if you use a hold-down strap to get it to bead maybe

different culture
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic