The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

gpd294's Tribute Torino Wagon Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gpd294's Tribute Torino Wagon Restoration
    Posted: 10-January-2009 at 5:39AM
EDIT (Feb 4, 2014)

I'm not quite sure why I hadn't cleaned up my thread before. This is the full wagon restoration documented between the wagon site and this site:

The below question was when I was contemplating switching the front end of my 75 Gran Torino wagon to what I have now which is the 73 base Torino:

My question is, is it possible to convert a 75 Gran Torino front end (header panel, grill, and front marker lights) to the 73/74 base model Torino front end??? I am trying to get as close as possible on my restoration to the 73 base model Torino wagon my Dad had when I was growing up. I know the fenders are the same, but is the hood the same as well? What about the bumper and stone deflector? Is it possible to get a base model 73/74 Torino header panel and accesories and make this conversion on the '75??? Will everything somewhat bolt right up??? Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by gpd294 - 04-February-2014 at 6:50AM
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2009 at 1:02PM

Yes you can do this,hood is the same,but finding base torino nose parts may be difficult.The corner bumper fillers are different,stone pan may be same,not sure,bumper is same.Why don't you just leave it as is?Gran a much nicer front end.

gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2009 at 2:06PM
I agree that the Gran Torino front end is nicer, but in order to keep the restoration as close as possible to my Dad's Wagon I'd like to possibly go that route. So the hood is the same as is the bumper, which were my biggest worries. As these parts can be expensive. I wish I had the ability of having one side by side to actually see it. If you think about it, how many base model Torino's are still around??? I know no one will be knocking on my door to offer big bucks once I'm done, but then again that's not the whole purpose. Although I will be able to have fun with the famliy as my Dad did with us growing up. So to that I say...Priceless!!! Thanks for the input and let me just congratulate you on your great restoration ability! Your car looks AWESOME. I just hope mine comes out half as nice as yours. Patience is a virtue for sure huh??  
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Godzillarich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzillarich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2009 at 2:13PM
Wow ,You will have a very difficult time finding those parts to convert to that 73 standard Torino . I have a grill with only minor issues ,but the header panel and filler are going to be almost impossible to locate . I have only seen one 73 standard Torino in the last 4 years. I could not give the grill away . I doubt there are any Ebay sellers that would bother to salvage that grill and header due to the low demand. I agree with Ralph. You are better off Leaving it or if you want to make work for yourself convert it to a 73 Gran or 72 Gran , Those parts are still attainable
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2009 at 2:43PM
Thanks for the compliments,yes patience is definitely a virtue.I'm a patient person,but this resto has tested my patience a plenty!LOL.I agree with Rich,I have maybe seen one base torino in a few years.The only guy I know that might have those parts is John at blueoval in georgia.He's got a lot of torino cars he parts out.He sells on ebay all the time.His user id is blueoval6079,do a search on there and you can get his info.Good luck on your car.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2009 at 9:23AM
Pics like this make me miss my (in my opinion nicer looking) 72 base Torino Cry

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2009 at 10:45AM
I don't think I've ever seen a base model 72. I thought they all had the same "shark mouth" front end. Thanks for sharing.

gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2010 at 8:07AM
I ran across this old post and figured I'd update it. I did manage to find the parts I needed and this is the end result:

picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2010 at 10:43AM
Carlos,
What a labor of love.  I remember seeing the early photos of this wagon and you have brought it not only to life, but to a whole new level.  I particular like the front end/grille area.  Strong work!  And thanks for sharing.
Paul~
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
Blueoval76 View Drop Down
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2010 at 10:51AM
Very Nice work man! Looking great! Clap
68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2010 at 11:00AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

Pics like this make me miss my (in my opinion nicer looking) 72 base Torino Cry

I think this front would look killer with the fast back. I love my 72 GTS no mater what it looks like but I like the full open grill look of this.   
-Billy Conturo
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2010 at 11:29AM
Don't forget... REAR IS DIFFERENT!
72/73 same 74-76 same but diff from 72/73!
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2010 at 12:48PM
Thanks Paul, it has come a long way, but still has a ways to go.

Thanks Guys, I know the wagons aren't as popular, but it has been fun restoring none the less.

Carl, I didn't understand your response. Ermm 

lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2010 at 3:46PM
Originally posted by gpd294 gpd294 wrote:

Thanks Guys, I know the wagons aren't as popular, but it has been fun restoring none the less.

Au Contraire, Mon Frère. I could only hope to find a wagon to convert into a 4 spd twin for my Sport fastback.Cool

Chuck

Edited by lynchster - 15-December-2010 at 3:47PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
91 F-150
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2010 at 3:56PM
you asked about putting it on a 73/74 car and you are trying to keep a car close to car in your past...

The 72 and 73 share the same rear end.
then in 74 the COMPLETELY changed the rear bumper area.
just an FYI when you are asking about cars from 2 years that are different.

As I am not a conisseur(sp) of the 73-76 front ends I have to digress that info to others.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2010 at 2:51AM
Oh ok I it get now. You are correct. The 72-73 rear bumpers are mounted closer to the body and tuck around nicely versus the 74-76 rear bumpers that stick out about a foot. I think this may have been another government mandate.  

Chuck that does sound like a plan. I wouldn't mind making a hotrod version of my wagon, but I am having enough trouble getting this one finished. But it's on the wish list.

There is a Squire for sale locally. They are asking 2K, but for some reason the wagons down south are always more expensive.

Here is the ad:

Edited by gpd294 - 16-December-2010 at 2:56AM

interceptor460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2010 at 11:01PM
I will put in my 2 cents worth. My 74 police torino had the same front end. The gray grill did not match well with the medium red paint .So I took off the grill and painted flat black .I installed it back on and it looked better than the 75-76 front end. You can try that before you do a complete change over. To bad your paint on the car is rough it is a nice car.
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2010 at 2:35AM
Thanks for the input Interceptor, but if you look a couple posts up click on the link and that is my wagon now, not the one in the craigslist ad. I will tell ya this though that's pretty much what I started with a couple years ago. LOL

occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2010 at 2:38AM
I located 3 '72 bumpers on car-part.com, all in Cali, one white for $100, two are in "chromeable core" condition with no price.

car-part.com seems to think the '73 bumper is the same as '74 to '79...so the '72 bumper may have been one year only on wagons!

correction...the '72 "white" bumper is chrome, it's from a white '72 wagon is why it said white...

Edited by occupant - 21-December-2010 at 2:39AM
twintornados View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2010 at 2:39AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

I had a '72 two door with that style grille, a 250 I6 and a "three on the tree" manual
1974 Gran Torino Elite...gotta love them big Fords...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
  Share Topic