The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

...72 351CJ Black/Black

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 41>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ...72 351CJ Black/Black
    Posted: 02-February-2009 at 4:31AM
After 19 months, my 1972 GTS 351CJ/C6/3.25 open with special order black paint/black interior came home from the body shop.  It took three cars to put it together.  The 1976 Gran Torino wagon sacrificed itself for the floor (which required trimming out about 2 inches) and the rear seat riser and trunk up to the decklid lip came from a 1972 standard Torino.  The shop did an amazing job putting it all together and the paint quality is first class.  Now comes the fun part of putting it back together.  Glad I took lots of photos/video.  I'd like to post photos, but when I'm using my digital camera, the pictures are too large to use the forum's image capabilities.  Does anyone have an idea of a place I could post offsite and direct people to or to reduce the size of my images?  I want to again, say thanks to everyone who's helped along the way with suggestions, products, links.  I'm sure they'll be more to come.

Paul~

Edited by picon3 - 04-May-2011 at 9:28AM
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
dspring107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dspring107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2009 at 7:36AM
Hey picon3 good luck on your project. i have a apple & found that if i send pic to documents they shrink in size i don't know how. starting from the ground up( see) my 73.
BBPeik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBPeik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2009 at 7:41AM
You can resize your pics on photobucket.  It works great
1973 Gran Torino Sport 357 Cleveland FMX 3.50 auburn pro posi 1969 Black Jade
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2009 at 2:02PM
Yes I use photobucket also,very easy.
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2009 at 8:35PM

Paul, Good luck with your '72, I have a '73, identical options, black special order too! post pics when you can!

Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2009 at 2:57PM
It finally happened huh? Congrats! Now starts the fun...Clap
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2009 at 3:05AM
Thought I'd update everyone as to the progress on putting the 72 back together.  I got all of the wiring in the rear installed along with the gas tank, new lines, etc.  I'm working from the rear forward.  I hope to get the rechromed bumper on and rear valence later this week.  Our local auto upholstry shop has the seats redone and will be delivering tomorrow.  The upholstry shop owner is coming to my house to help me get the head liner/carpeting/package tray in on wednesday/thursday.  We're going to be insulating the entire interior from noise/heat as I'm looking to take it down the quarter mile track in Greer, South Carolina this spring/summer.  Man, I'm making up for lost time!

I hope to have some photos at some point.

Paul~
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2009 at 3:44PM
Sounds great,keep at it!Pics would be nice,soon,please.Wink
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2009 at 3:22AM

Seats arrived last night.  James from James Auto Upholstery (Here's their website)

http://www.jamesautoupholstery.com/ did an amazing job with the original seats.  The frames were all repainted, new burlap, cotton batting, hog ringed just like from the factory.  He found another build sheet while redoing the seats which was great because the one that I had was nothing but flakes of paper.  Tongue We used a sound deadner/heat resistant sheet (tar like adhesive on both sides with a moldable aluminum core) that we molded to the firewall and kick panel area followed by an aluminum backed jute about 1/2 inch thick, followed by another sheet of thin sound deadner that was molded again to the firewall.  Firewall looks amazing.  Worked on insulating the ceiling, package tray area and then called it a night.  Tonight we're working on the floor, putting in the carpet.  Lastly, the headliner will go in.  Really great to see the project coming together and great to have help from a professional who's been doing it for 25 years and is a big Ford fan.  More to follow

Paul~ 

Edited by picon3 - 12-February-2009 at 3:23AM
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2009 at 3:12AM
Here is my first attempt at loading photos.  Thanks for the interest.  Paul~

picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2009 at 3:14AM

2nd attempt. 

picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2009 at 3:16AM
3rd attempt.  Here's the GTS on the day it came back home and earllier in the week when it was being painted.  Here's the reconditioned steering gear. 

Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2009 at 5:27AM
Paul-
That looks good.
Black car, your quarter panel looks damn crisp. I have to say looks like the bodyshop did you right, considering it's a black car!

Any plans on the outside? Just wondering if you plan on stripping it, laser or otherwise?

I forget, was that car a special order black gts?

Andy
Andrew
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2009 at 8:26AM
Andy,

Thanks for the kind words.  Yes, this was a special order, black car orginally (data tag, build sheet, Marti report all confirmed) which was one of the things that drew me to the car.  The man who did the body work is named, Tino, and he is incredible with a torch.  No metal was cut out, but rather flowed into areas which were hammered and dollied out.  The body was media blasted, expoxy primered and block sanded four separate times to get it "suave".  I'm going to add a red 72 laser stripe to finish it off.   I'll try to get some photos of what it looked like when I started posted as well. 

Paul~
RREIH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RREIH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2009 at 1:07AM
Looks great so far, can't wait to see finished product. I also have a factory black 73 GTS. I always wanted a laser stripe car. I was thinking red on black also, but can't seem to put it in to my mind how it would look. Great car. Bob 
SininenIII View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SininenIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2009 at 6:19AM

Looks great! It´s gonna be beauty when finished.

Aatu
73 Gran Torino Sport
http://public.fotki.com/Granaatu/
A guy named Vin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A guy named Vin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2009 at 1:34AM

Dood that is looking awesome! Keep up the good work!

picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2009 at 2:47AM
Here's the completed interior.  It took James and I a total of 10 hours to finish over 4 nights.  The carpet is from ACC (http://www.accmats.com/).  We used a heat gun to warm the back of the carpet to get it to lay down properly and then used steam on the center section to smooth it out.  The package tray was from Dearborn Classics (this is the pressed board with the speaker holes predrilled) that we covered with the same vinyl as the seats for a slick look.  The headliner came from AutoKrafters and went in great.  Tight as a drum!  Next up is to work on building out the firewall with wiring,dash to follow.  I'll post more pics as I make progress.  Paul~

Edited by picon3 - 18-February-2009 at 2:53AM
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2009 at 3:32AM
Worked on building out the firewall this past weekend and putting in the rear windows.  (The rear windows were a real struggle in spite of the shop manual.   Took about 2 hours to get one side in and 10 minutes to do the other side.  Here's the latest photos.

Edited by picon3 - 25-February-2009 at 4:19AM
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2009 at 2:54PM
looking good!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 41>
  Share Topic