The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAll Aluminum radiator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: All Aluminum radiator
    Posted: 02-June-2012 at 2:53PM
Well I finally got around to ordering my aluminum radiator. I purchased a Champion brand 3 row radiator from Oscar's radiator on Ebay, which totaled $210 delivered to my door. All the welds looked good to very good, not show quality but I don't have a show car. The only issue that I might have is the upper radiator mounts, I won't know for sure until after I have my new condenser is installed once it arrives(completely redoing my AC system at the same time as the cooling system). 
  For those looking for an aluminum radiator I wouldn't hesitate recommending a Champion brand for the money I spent with having a lifetime warranty(whatever that is worth).
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
lilpanther View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2012 at 4:34PM
Nice looking Radiator, And a built in tranny cooler. Look's like a very good option. And for those that want a link to it.   http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-1979-FORD-THUNDERBIRD-MARQUIS-TORINO-ALL-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-3-ROW-/261034384415?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cc6dc9c1f#ht_3781wt_1185
Justin
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Member of the Stroker Club

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2012 at 6:09AM
I used a radiator similar. How was the width compared to OEM? The one I bought was a litttttle too narrow. 

Here's what I did.

Moved the driver's side mount towards the center of the car a bit.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
aquartlow View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2012 at 7:07AM
Paul, the overall length and width of the new radiator is very comparable to the old unit. The actual core size is a bit smaller height wise 16 7/8" versus 17 3/4" for the factory rad., the U-channel on the top and bottom of the core makes up the difference.  Looking at my final pic it shows the radiator is level with the core support which made the upper brackets that I had to modify a little not such a hassle. In your pic is shows the radiator is an inch or so below the core support, is that correct? I see you modified your radiator brackets as well, I did a little work with a hammer and drift, now the brackets fit pretty good and they actually don't look modified(I used an extra set of salvage yard brackets for modifying). I can't finalize the modifications to the brackets until I recieve the new AC condenser and see how well it fits the core support. I will send some new pics later, if possible. I wish I had the room to use a Mark VIII fan, but with the 2 1/4" core rad, 3 belt balancer pulley, the associated brackets and belt for the AC I had to just re-used the 7 blade fan with a new clutch fan. I tried to fit one but I needed to do too many mods to the core support area to move the AC condenser and radiator far enough forward for clearance, Oh well.   

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2012 at 7:51AM
My Mark VIII has been trimmed, is mounted off to one side, and has self clearanced itself on the pulley :)

The radiator is about an inch or so shorter. It was advertised as a direct fit, but of course, it wasn't. It was about 3 or 4" narrower and 1" shorter than OEM.
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
aquartlow View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2012 at 10:55AM
Hey, self clearancing is always a plus, Wink. I was very apprehensive about purchasing my radiator without actually seeing it, knowing that most anything that is offered for a Ford product is usually a universal fit at best with fittings and/or outlets that may resemble fitting a Ford application. I'm happy with my purchase, fit is good to great and they shipped it out quick with no damage, which is always a good thing. I heard reviews of the Champion brand radiators being of better quality and fit vs. other brands like Silla. The Champion costs about $50 more than the Silla, but I only want to do this once. Heres a pic of what I did to the upper rad. brackets to fit the radiator better, almost unnoticable. Todd

I still have to prime and paint them, but i'll wait until the AC condenser shows up and I get it installed.

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2012 at 11:16AM
Could you provide measurements of the champion vs the OEM? total width and height? If it fits well, I may change. I have a 2 core aluminum now. 

Why didn't you go 4 core?

EDIT: NEVM.. THey don't offer one!

Core 16 ½” Tall x 28” Wide
Total 19 ½” (Incl Cap) Tall x 34” Wide
Inlet 1 ½” / Outlet 1 ½”
Tanks 3” Thick

Here's what I bought a while ago.

(28-1/8 x 16-7/8 x 2-1/8).. it's 2 core... Odd that it's so much narrower than yours, however. 

Edited by Psquare75 - 03-June-2012 at 11:23AM
Paul
aquartlow View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2012 at 11:33AM
Paul, I'll get you the measurements by tonight. I'm glad I didn't go with a 4 core. I only have about 1/8" between the fan shroud and the balancer pulley now, I know I could have clearanced the shroud for the pulley, but I figured the original 3 row brass would keep it cool enough and the all aluminum 3 row is supposed to outcool a brass 4 row (thats their story), before it sat too long and grew "oysters" inside the radiator causing overheating. I've since flushed the engine a couple of times, removed 3 of the six freeze plugs (front and rear on pass side and front only on drivers side) to make sure the water jackets weren't plugged with rust/debris(FUN JOB trying to re-install freeze plugs in the 460 while in the vehicle with headers, WHOOPEY Ouch). I'm not trying to sell you one, but the Champion fits really well. I will get you the measurements so you can make that decision. Todd

aquartlow View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2012 at 12:11PM
Yes, you are correct, they didn't offer a 4 core version.
Here are the measurements.
Overall width: OEM-34 1/4"      Champion- 34"
Total height: OEM-19 1/2"        Champion- 19 1/8"
Core thickness: OEM-2 1/4"      Champion- 2 1/4"
Core size: OEM-28 1/8" x 18"    Champion- 28" x 16 5/8"

Center to center of upper mount: OEM & Champion 28 1/2"
All these measurements are of actual radiator,  not the cap.

The Champion radiator has 1/2" x 2" "blocks" that rest on the bottom rubber mounts and these blocks lift the radiator enough to overcome the difference in core size height. These blocks are also on the top where the upper brackets are located. The U-channel on the top and bottom of the factory radiator has a  5/8" profile, whereas the Champion has a profile of 1 1/4" top and bottom. The centers of the radiator's core tubing on the OEM is 9/16" where the Champion has 3/8" centers, which equals more cooling surface but in a smaller overall core size. The closest I can figure the OEM has 32 tubes for cooling whereas the Champion has 44. I hope this helps, Todd

Edited by aquartlow - 03-June-2012 at 12:12PM

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2012 at 2:59PM
i saved this link a while back, might've been posted here on this site somewhere?

lowest cost i've seen anywhere for an alloy rad... anyone using one, any comments or feedback?
72 GT Ute

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2012 at 1:19AM
Max that's the EXACT radiator I bought and commented on here.
Paul
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2012 at 3:56AM
OK now i see our links are the same, which is weird because they were a little different at first and mine worked Big smile but now they're the same and neither works, or mine that i have saved Wacko

so if the Champion product is that much closer to true direct fit it might be worth the extra $60
and if the Genesis website ain't gonna work no mo that kinda solves that problem all by itself

72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic