The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MY 72 CJ 4SPD LAST PROJECT UNDERWAY .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAPTOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MY 72 CJ 4SPD LAST PROJECT UNDERWAY .
    Posted: 12-October-2013 at 7:41AM
Well i finally had time to start getting it to my last project . So far the Torino is everything i hoped it would be since it has been in Arizona all its life and a one owner car . Man never had a car from Arizona is see what they mean about dry climate with no rust , every bolt comes off with ease. Just started with the engine  chassis and rear and front end first . Want to get that all done first . Then i hope maybe one or two more weeks and  take it to the paint shop . Door jams and trunk channels the factory paint is awsome so i will leave that original paint . No body work thank god just some little door dents and removing the lower chrome trim and door guards and filling those spots . Going with the Factory lazer strip . Just love that look . So far this is what i got done . Gutted most of the interior left the front seats in and carpet till after its painted . Want to do that last because all that body dust gos everywere and dont want the fresh interior dirty with that . Redid most gaskets and tuned up engine and replaced points with that electric coversion kit . Motor is tight 29,000 miles valve guides good no oil burning . when i pulled the valve covers the heads had no oil sludge , Changes gear oil in 4spd ,  Painted top of engine will do lower engine detail when i get to the chassis and cleaning up engine compartment trying to keep most of it original not doing a lot of repainting if the paint is good in those areas . Got rear chassis cleaned and detailed area done and the gas tank and complete everything rear brakes spring kit ,pistons shoes all , rubber brake line and shocks done , axle cleaned and detailed . Just did the front end area new brakes all rotors ,calipers, rubber brake lines , shocks
 and cleaned and detailed wheel well and some of the chassis . 
More to come . Confused  

Edited by RAPTOR - 15-October-2013 at 4:29AM
1972 Torino Sport 4Spd Q 351c
2010 Ford SVT Raptor
2003 H2 Hummer
1977 CB 750 Cafe Racer
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2013 at 10:17AM
Nice console-less 4 speed there.
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1971 Maverick 2 Door
1994 Mark VIII
Retired 60s NHRA Anglia
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2013 at 7:54PM
Nce ride. One of these days I am gonnaget me a car from Arizona. I have a buddy who lives in Phoenix who will check out cars for me.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
SEKCOBRA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEKCOBRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2013 at 4:14AM
Nice find. Almost finished restoring my 72. Mine was a zero rust,not a door ding in the body car. Not a 4 speed though. You will save a ton of cash and headaches starting with a solid body. Good luck with the build.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2013 at 5:49AM
Amen brother. My 4 speed is pretty dent-free, but termites with braces got the 1/4's.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

SocalTorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2013 at 9:02AM

AMAZING LOVE 72 4 SPEEDS!

RAPTOR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAPTOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2013 at 5:19AM
Glad you guys like the Torino , I had more time to get the rest of the chassis and crossmember , floors, low engine , Rad support and some of the engine compartment that need cleaning up and painted . I also got my first test drive with new complete brakes and it felt good . The only thing i forgot to do was adjust the timing after i tuned up the engine months ago and installed the electronic Ign system , with out the points.  Now that new system advances the timimg some and i had a little run on or knocking when shutting off the engine after driving it for a while . I had not had it run that long in the garage so it doesnt do it then . But thats an easy fix . So here are some more pics and i hope to get it to the paint shop soon . Thumbs Up

Edited by RAPTOR - 15-October-2013 at 5:25AM
2010 Ford SVT Raptor
2003 H2 Hummer
1977 CB 750 Cafe Racer
newmexguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmexguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2013 at 7:19AM
that car is a find. local u pull it (well - down in east el paso) had three 72-73 torino formal roofs within a year span. crushed every single one. and they had a super clean 71 cougar base coupe - it went to scrap with all the body panels and suspension untouched. they have finally started to seperate the older cars - with a longer time till crush - but will not sell them whole. one has to carry it out - bit by bit and the title is still deactivated.   
RAPTOR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAPTOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2013 at 5:44AM
Today was the big day finally  , Torino went to the Paint shop !! Smile

Edited by RAPTOR - 22-October-2013 at 5:45AM
2010 Ford SVT Raptor
2003 H2 Hummer
1977 CB 750 Cafe Racer
carguy47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2013 at 3:43PM
Great looking car, 4-speed to boot.

I gotta tell you, coming from the midwest/east coast, AZ cars and boneyards are the stuff dreams come from. You can take a car apart with 2-box wrenches. No sawzall, hacksaw, BFH or persuaders.
You have to build em to drive em!
RAPTOR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAPTOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2013 at 6:42AM
Well i stopped at the body shop the other day they are going slow like most shops do i guess from past experience . They got the trim all most off  and I took the bummers to the re chomer  friday .
He is starting to take off the original paint and get it down to the metal . So far no surprises except A  Little 3" x 3 " dent that was filled many many yrs ago . No rust at all. Windshield is out to no rust in the wind sheild channels thats a first , Every care i re did that old always rusting in there  . So its getting there slowly but thats cool with me i rather them take time and do it correct then rush it . I went to PPG and got the correct original base color mixed and there high end clear . The body shop does not use PPG and i have used PPG paint on other cars i restored and always had killer looking paint . But there are a lot of other good paint companies , Its really up to what you like i guess . Plus Ford used PPG paint in 1972,  
I also got real lucky and found a 4spd console . Needed a little repair so i just got done working on that since i cant work on the Torino . So i got the green ivory plastic dye and finished the console . My first dye job and i think it came out good . So next i will need to do all the old white door panels and white trim inside . They are all  yellowish over the yrs , so i need to get the white dye for them . Well here is some pictures so far . Shocked

2010 Ford SVT Raptor
2003 H2 Hummer
1977 CB 750 Cafe Racer
Dcred45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcred45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2013 at 7:38AM
The counsel looks great! Did you get your interior dye from PPG? I am trying to find a dye that matches my interior but it having trouble.
RAPTOR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAPTOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2013 at 8:09AM
Well the best selection for the Vinyl plastic dye is SEM company just google it .Thats were i am gonna get the white i need . The ivory green i needed they did not have that color so i found it on the Dearborn classic site . So check both of them you should find what you need . What color are you looking for ?

2010 Ford SVT Raptor
2003 H2 Hummer
1977 CB 750 Cafe Racer
Dcred45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcred45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2013 at 4:57PM
Originally posted by RAPTOR RAPTOR wrote:

Well the best selection for the Vinyl plastic dye is SEM company just google it .Thats were i am gonna get the white i need . The ivory green i needed they did not have that color so i found it on the Dearborn classic site . So check both of them you should find what you need . What color are you looking for ?

The color is a medium blue, my car doesnt have the data plate so I am not sure the colors actual name. I ordered a quart of sem dye from a local store monday, it should be ready by tomorrow. I tried to match the color the best i could with their samples, but i wont really know how it looks untill I spray it.... **fingers crossed**
RAPTOR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAPTOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2013 at 2:22AM
I bet you will be real close with the color 
 . If it is 90 % close to the original color you should be fine . Tongue
2010 Ford SVT Raptor
2003 H2 Hummer
1977 CB 750 Cafe Racer
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2013 at 2:24AM
I am both amazed at the SOLID base you have to start with and excited to see it finished. Thank goodness you took pictures beforehand, as so many of us cannot fathom an original rust-free GTS.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

RAPTOR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAPTOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2013 at 2:42AM
Joe i know its so crazy that the metal is so clean . All the chevelles and mustangs i ever redid all had rust everywere.  I am also not painting the door jams, body jams , trunk lid underside and channels . If you look at the first pics i posted the original paint is like new in those areas . So i am leaving it and it will prove how  there was no body panels replaced, if you have original welds and paint in the jams and trunk .  
2010 Ford SVT Raptor
2003 H2 Hummer
1977 CB 750 Cafe Racer
RAPTOR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAPTOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2013 at 5:46AM
Well just got back from the Body shop . They are starting to weld all the factory holes up . Looking good less bondo is always better .Cool

2010 Ford SVT Raptor
2003 H2 Hummer
1977 CB 750 Cafe Racer
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2013 at 9:21AM
Car is looking great! I can relate to the rust free southwest car. My 79 ranchero came from Texas and even though the car was a mess taking apart was a dream because of no rust!!!  
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2013 at 2:31PM
Nice job on the color change.  That's an LTD II or Thunderbird console.  74-76 Cougars had that pad too but it had the cougar head emblem molded into it.  Torinos didn't have that pad that covered the grain.  No difference between automatic or 4 speed console.  Even the shifter trim plate is the same.  If you need a new boot, its available from the Mustang parts houses.  Same as a 69 Mustang.
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic