The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Four Doors and Wagons
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer hitch?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer hitch?
    Posted: 20-January-2022 at 11:53AM
Can a trailer hitch intended for a 1972-up Ranchero be used on a 1972 wagon?

U-Haul's site shows a hitch to put on a Ranchero with a 5,000-pound capacity. But for a wagon, the site says they don't have one, but if I'm willing to drive the car to Phoenix and let them have it for a few days, they can maybe engineer one.
1972 Gran Torino station wagon, light blue, 351C 2V, prior owner upgraded to 4V (2V heads), originally had a C4 but prior owner changed to C6 for some reason.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2022 at 3:05PM
not sure but i think they are very similar???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
benzesrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benzesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2022 at 1:06PM
I have a 73 with a hitch that I sourced on this forum. The hitch was for a station wagon and it fit perfectly on my formal roof. I would bet they are very close and probably work.
Phil
Inkara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2022 at 2:36PM
Originally posted by benzesrule benzesrule wrote:

I have a 73 with a hitch that I sourced on this forum. The hitch was for a station wagon and it fit perfectly on my formal roof. I would bet they are very close and probably work.

Is it heavy duty enough to tow 5,000 pounds or more?
1972 Gran Torino station wagon, light blue, 351C 2V, prior owner upgraded to 4V (2V heads), originally had a C4 but prior owner changed to C6 for some reason.
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2022 at 12:56AM
is the car frame itself strong enough for that??

Why would you put a hitch on, anyway?
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
benzesrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benzesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2022 at 12:37PM
I pulled a 28 foot camper with it. Camper weighed 6000 lbs.  Yes the frame is strong enough!! I pulled that camper down RT 30 at 70 miles per hour. The Torino pulled it like there was nothing behind it. I installed a trans cooler and trailer brakes actuator. When these cars were new they were used to tow. Not everyone had a pickup to use so they used their cars. While towing my camper, you can't believe all the compliments and thumbs up going down the road!!! It's your car use as you wish!!!
Phil
Inkara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2022 at 12:41PM
Originally posted by hogfiddles hogfiddles wrote:

is the car frame itself strong enough for that??

Why would you put a hitch on, anyway?

I'm getting too old to want to sweat for 6 hours driving the '62 Fairlane to Fairlane Club shows (no A/C and I drove it home from Reno into 112-degree temperatures in Ridgecrest), so since Gran Torinos are also covered by the club, I thought it would be cool to use it as a tow vehicle (with air conditioning).

I thought the wagon and Ranchero used the same frame, which is stronger in the back than the sedan and coupes.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2022 at 3:39AM
72 GT Ute

hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2022 at 3:47AM
12yrs old posts.......fwiw
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2022 at 4:28PM
one of the 2 dr's i parted had a hitch that i sold awhile ago but 1 of the 3 rancheros here may have one??? i''l take a look tomorrow....
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2022 at 4:01AM
I am not sure if the Ranchero hitch would also work on the Wagon.  However, it does say on the U-Haul site they can custom build a hitch for a '72 Torino Wagon.  Short of finding an old original hitch, U-Haul might be your best option.  You could also call around to a few local hitch shops and see if they could fab something up.  We used to have a local shop that installed these "universal" frame hitches that could be made to work with pretty much almost any car.  

Also these cars were originally rated to two up to 6000 lbs with the HD towing package.  There was a lighter duty tow package that was only good for about 3500 lbs.  Don't expect it to tow like a modern truck, but it should get the job done.  

We have some discussion on towing in these threads:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2022 at 1:17PM
on the Draw-Tite page there is no vehicle selection for Gran Torino Wagon, so default to Ranchero

but then it says Not Confirmed To Fit

https://www.etrailer.com/p-75278.html?hhyear=1973&hhmake=Ford&hhmodel=Ranchero

Edited by Rockatansky - 27-January-2022 at 1:22PM
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply