The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trim Code Clarification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS429SCJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trim Code Clarification
    Posted: 28-May-2019 at 4:09AM
Ok, I have a relatively simple question for you guys, at least I think it's simple. I am looking at a 1972 Gran Torino formal roof that has recently been repainted. They have a picture of the Door Data Plate and I am pretty sure it is a reproduction of supposedly the original before the repaint. Anyway I am confused at the listed "Trim Code" on the label. It is "CBA". Now I have looked at quite a few labels on these cars and I have viewed online at numerous sites that provide the VIN and Data Plate decoder, including this site and I have yet to find any information on a 3-character Trim code. Can anyone tell me how this decodes out? Does anyone have information on the validity of a 3-character Trim code?  The only thing I can figure is the CB would be medium Blue and every trim code with an A at the end represents Black. So am I suppose to assume this means Medium Blue and Black for the interior? The car is Medium blue both exterior and most interior parts.

Any clarification help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2019 at 12:36PM
Another member had the three letter code on his car too. None of the literature shows three letter codes. What's the build date on your car?

Do you have a Marti Report?
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
72GTS429SCJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS429SCJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2019 at 8:28AM
Thanks for the reply Vince. No I do not have a Marti report. I do not own this car (yet). I am in talks regarding possible purchase of this car but I am trying to get answers to my questions and this was one of them.  According to the data plate it is 7/72. The current seller is trying to get an answer to the question as well, but would like to get an unbiased 3rd party answer to this particular question.

Looking to get an inspection done by a reputable company that will go over it with a fine tooth comb so I can make a very informed decision.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2019 at 12:07PM
For some reason these three letter trim codes seem to all be on late build cars.  I know there were some changes late in the model year, like the GTS's losing the comfortweave and having all vinyl seats late in the model year.  I am suspecting these late model year changes caused the three letter trim codes. 

I am not sure what this one means at the moment.  I think if you are interested in purchasing the car, then get the Marti.  It will tell you what the original trim code was to verify that the repro sticker is correct.

Do you have any pictures or at least a description of what interior the car has?  I will keep digging, but it would might be easier to figure out if I know what the car has for an interior.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2019 at 2:17PM
Paint code on the q code I am looking to buy.

3B medium blue
EA Black vinyl bench

From marti report 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2019 at 2:21PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS429SCJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2019 at 4:01PM
Vince,

The interior is what I'd call medium blue, which would correspond to the CB in the CBA code. The front split bench seat is medium blue (all vinyl) but the back seat (also all vinyl) looks black, so I am not sure what is original. Based on color I would guess front or the picture I saw just makes the back look so much darker. The headliner also looks to be black and the dash pad is medium blue in color. The dash pad has been redone and whoever did it produced a horrible restoration. A lot of wrinkles, etc, it will have to be replaced or redone. Same goes for the headliner, horrible job. However if I can get it for the right price, I have not problem fixing those issues. I'll see about posting pictures.

Got one other question for you. Is there anything on the Data Plate that is suppose to indicate whether the car came with a vinyl top and what color? I always see the table listing the code for a vinyl top and color but I have never seen this code on a data plate!

Edited by 72GTS429SCJ - 29-May-2019 at 5:18PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS429SCJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2019 at 4:32PM
John,

LOL, so you went through the trouble to black out the Production/Serial number in the VIN number in both locations on the Marti Report but you didn't black it out in the itemized list in the first box...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS429SCJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2019 at 5:16PM
Vince, here are a couple of pictures of the interior like you asked. I also included a picture of the door data plate.

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2019 at 5:56PM
looking at those pics, someone has replaced and or swapped parts around the seat is a different shade than the panels the kick panel is different too and the rear seat looks black as do the arm rests!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2019 at 5:59PM
oh and i see a late 74+ seat belt buckle on the seat  in that picWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2019 at 9:49PM
Originally posted by 72GTS429SCJ 72GTS429SCJ wrote:

John,

LOL, so you went through the trouble to black out the Production/Serial number in the VIN number in both locations on the Marti Report but you didn't black it out in the itemized list in the first box...

Not everyone picks up on that. 😄
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2019 at 12:12PM
So I did some digging and apparently Ford put an "A" on the end of a trim code if there was some sort of deviation from stock.  What the deviation is, I am not sure, but for some Mustangs I was reading about, it was sometimes related to the seat inserts. Despite the fact it's not listed in most literature it is a legitimate code.
I also checked the parts catalog and it lists both CB and CBA and both appear to be identical as per the parts catalog.  Both are listed medium blue, all vinyl.  So, the car you are looking at definitely no longer all of its stock interior in place.
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS429SCJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2019 at 12:42PM
Thank you for the effort put forth in determining the legitimacy of the trim code. Ironically I was on the Marti Report website and the example of their standard ($18) report is of a 69 mustang and the trim code listed was 3-characters. I'd really would like to know and understand what the 3rd character in the code actually stands for and why there appears to be no documentation regarding it. Oh well, something for another time.

Thank you again for the help.

Jim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2019 at 1:36PM
I think the Ford employees did some ad lib based on the threads I have read. So many unanswered questions but I suppose it adds to the hunt. Glad you have some of what you are looking for and hope to see a project thread down the line. This is the best board I have been a part of and aside from a little joking around, we are full of good people who enjoy helping others.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2019 at 1:49PM
Originally posted by 72GTS429SCJ 72GTS429SCJ wrote:

Got one other question for you. Is there anything on the Data Plate that is suppose to indicate whether the car came with a vinyl top and what color? I always see the table listing the code for a vinyl top and color but I have never seen this code on a data plate!

I missed this earlier.  No, the data plate has no info on the vinyl top.  You'd need to get the build sheet, the original sales sticker or get a Marti to find out those details.

FWIW we have tons of info on these cars here on the forum in the reference section.

Check out some of this stuff below.

Standard Equipment, Optional Equipment, Codes, Specifications, VIN and Data plate Decoders.

Owner's Manuals, Brochures and Interior Packages

Edited by 72FordGTS - 31-May-2019 at 2:08PM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply