The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Uante's New '73

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 40>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uante's New '73
    Posted: 03-September-2009 at 4:30PM
Hello Everyone.
Interesting forum you have here.
I just bought a 1973 Gran Torino Brougham and have been getting re-acquainted with the model after 30 years. Here's a picture of my first car, a White '73 taken in 1979 and a picture of my "New" '73 taken last month on the 1200 mile drive back from Oregon to Arizona. The car is in really good shape. I've done a few things to it so far and fixed a few others, like the air conditioning, water pump, u-joints, brakes, etc.
I do have a nagging question though. When I put on different wider wheels, I noticed that the left rear wheel sticks out about an inch more than the right one. Looking at the car, you can see that it's never been wrecked. Everything is seems original and has been there a long time. I also drove behind the car and it tracks just fine. Also the brake drums are identical on both sides. Any ideas on what it could be? Any info would be appreciated.

Picture of My original '73 GTB taken in late 1979 or 80. Me at 18 years old, car
was 7 years old.

Gary and Marion, the nice couple who sold the '73 GTB to me. They got the car
from Gary's mother who was the second owner. Notice the FORD emblem on the
left rear trunk lid...I think someone got those from an old Pick-up truck!
The letters didn't last long!

Taken at Pyramid Lake CA. On way back from Klamath Falls OR 2009. Me at 46
car is 36 years old.

Kelley on Trip back from Oregon.

a Stop for gas somewhere in California.

My New '73 with better Rims and tires. Picture Taken in Gold Canyon Arizona.

After noticing water dripping from the engine while taking "New Rims" picture
above...Replacing the water pump was the next Job.

Edited by Uante - 06-June-2011 at 8:27PM
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Panel Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2009 at 5:59PM
It's possible your rear wheels could have different offsets. http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/WheelOffsetCalc.html

Funny how hair gets replaced by a hat, cool pics and welcome.   
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2009 at 6:05PM
I was thinking the same thing... the rims are different!
PLEASE, tell us that the rims you put on it are the ones you kept all these years from the first picture??

Great looking car! What a difference the rims make on the look of the car!
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2009 at 8:40PM
Thanks guys...I'll check the rims again, but I think they are all the same, I bought them as a set. Unfortunately they aren't the originals from my first '73. But I tell you what, When I had the wide ones on they "hit" and made the same noise remember from High School! Funny how I cringed when all the memories (nightmares) came flooding back! I decided to go with a size smaller tire that fits under the car and changed the 15" x 10" slots for 15" x 8.5" in the rear and put 15" x 7" in the front. Kinda felt funny anyway with the oversized tires in the back...maybe if I grew my hair back it'd be alright!  
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2009 at 11:48PM

Then you could put in an 8-Track tape with some Foghat or Deep Purple, too! LOL   Congrats and welcome to the forums, Nice ride you got!   I should post my old pic of my first Torino (back in High School).  Brings back some memories! If the car has not been wrecked, I agree, check the offset.  Maybe you (or the parts store) picked the wrong rim off the shelf.

~Chris
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2009 at 2:59AM
I did have an 8 track in my first GTB...Had to shove a matchbook under one side to keep the tapes from dragging. Here's other pictures of that first car. The girl in the picture was a High School sweetheart who is still living in the area.
Anyway, I got interested in finding my old car from a slot car video I made. I was getting ready for a garage sale and found an old race set and decided to make a movie, since there wasn't really anything interesting on youtube. Here's a link to that 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvgvqLqWQhw

Well while making the movie I found a Torino and painted it like my old car. I didn't really like the way it turned out, but I had it play a "Cameo" role in the movie. Well one thing lead to another and I started looking at pictures and trying to see if I could find that old car. Pretty tuff task with only the license plate number and no VIN. So to make a long story short, I just bought the Gold one. Another tuff task...finding a '73 Brougham in decent shape for a decent price...Paid $4500.

Edited by Uante - 03-March-2011 at 3:26AM
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Panel Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2009 at 5:50AM
Cool!!!  You even had a GREAT crash scene in there!  My Torino only had Am/Fm, but I do remember a Mustang I had with the 8-track issue, and shoving a matchbook to keep it aligned LOL  Good times...
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2009 at 6:59AM
you don't still have the 15X10 slots do you??
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2009 at 7:04AM
Originally posted by cowboyupdjcarl cowboyupdjcarl wrote:

you don't still have the 15X10 slots do you??

Yes I still have them. I've actually having a friend of mine pick me up a set of 4 15" x 7" slots and I'll put two of those on the front and was gonna sell the other two with the 10 inchers as a set. 
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2009 at 7:07AM

OK I WANT THE 15X10s!!!

IF you can hold off about 3-4 weeks I have a bunch of 14s at the house!
But I will not be in the states until first week of Oct.

I could see what sizes they are and we could figure something out?

If not then just let me know how much you want for the 15x10s.
SERIOUSLY!
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2009 at 7:11AM
Originally posted by crispy23c crispy23c wrote:

Cool!!!  You even had a GREAT crash scene in there!  My Torino only had Am/Fm, but I do remember a Mustang I had with the 8-track issue, and shoving a matchbook to keep it aligned LOL  Good times...

Yeah the slot car movie was fun. Hopefully I can find time to make the sequel this fall...I got a title already, "Shadow City 2, Girls Can't Drive" 
Tongue

My 8 track was an aftermarket one up under the dash by the air conditioner controls. I eventually got feed up with it and took it out. I think?
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2009 at 7:16AM
Originally posted by cowboyupdjcarl cowboyupdjcarl wrote:

OK I WANT THE 15X10s!!!

IF you can hold off about 3-4 weeks I have a bunch of 14s at the house!
But I will not be in the states until first week of Oct.

I could see what sizes they are and we could figure something out?

If not then just let me know how much you want for the 15x10s.
SERIOUSLY!

I have them on Craigslist (Phoenix) now. Haven't really had any nibbles on them so far. They aren't show quality, a few nicks and scratches, but nice for a driver. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/pts/1330476507.html
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2009 at 7:28AM
PM Sent

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2009 at 1:41PM

I saw the KDKB sticker on the old car , brought back some memories. You live in north Phoenix? That's where i am from, and the Torino too, bought at Canyon Ford in 73 .

Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,SVT LIGHTNING,07 CHARGER R/T HEMI,97 Mustang GT Vert

"Never complain Never explain"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2009 at 1:51PM
Cool video !! another memory brought back, slot cars.    Clap
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,SVT LIGHTNING,07 CHARGER R/T HEMI,97 Mustang GT Vert

Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2009 at 3:19PM
Originally posted by Torinogts73c Torinogts73c wrote:

Yeah KDKB...That was the best station back then. I lived in Glendale, 47th Ave and Northern.
Thanks, glad you liked the video...it took me about 150 hours total to Build the track, "Light" the cars and film and edit. Just wish I could do it for a living!!!
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2009 at 8:19PM
Cool video!

Way too much time!

I used to run Aurora AFX cars. Had a HUGE track set spanned a 20ftx20ft raised floor in the hayloft of the barn growing up. Multiple tracks intertwined, all coming together for an 8 lane wide main drag with electronic lapcounters/timers. I had ALL the bells and whistles you could buy at the toy store/hobby shop. Enjoy your hobby, it is fun and the time/thought you put into the movie... WOW! great imagination!

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2009 at 2:13AM
Originally posted by Uante Uante wrote:

Originally posted by Torinogts73c Torinogts73c wrote:

Yeah KDKB...That was the best station back then. I lived in Glendale, 47th Ave and Northern.
Thanks, glad you liked the video...it took me about 150 hours total to Build the track, "Light" the cars and film and edit. Just wish I could do it for a living!!!
That's funny I lived at 67th ave & Northern. You should do that for a living you're pretty good!

Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2009 at 11:58AM
Just so anyone interested knows:
Carl wrote me these instructions to try and nail down my wheel offset difference of about an inch. Nothing was wrong with the rims...it was a mixture of the Frame/Body/Rear end.

This is what I wrote him back.

Hey Carl,
I did the measurements and it's a mixture of both being off.
First the offset on the rims are fine. Didn't think it was that. The measurements for the axle from the brake drum to the frame is only a 1/4" difference. The measurements for the frame to the edge of the wheel well is about 3/4". So there's the scoop. I found a 1" spacer on-line that keeps the same bolt pattern, so I'm going to use that for now. I guess that good the axle is close and the body is further off.

Brent

To measure and check the rims...
1. place both rims (without tires) on the concrete or piece of plywood with the shiny side up.
2. take a ruler/tape measure, put it in the center hole, measure from the ground up to the mating surface(bottom edge of the hole)

THAT will show you the Offset/backspacing. That will ensure the rims are the same. Also can measure the width here too. From ground to top edge of the rim give you the whole width.

To check the Frame/body/rearend to make sure it is straight...
1. Jack up the rear end, LEVEL surface, jackstands SAME HEIGHT under the axle tubes
2. remove tires
3. measure from SAME point of frame to the mating surface(outer flat spot between wheel studs of brake drums)
4. Can use a straight edge across that area to make it easier and more accurate.
THAT will tell you if the rear end is straight in the frame. Same distance from frame to wheel mounting surface.
5. then measure from frame to the fender lip. that will tell you if the body is straight on the frame.

if your tires stick out different on each side then at least 1 of these measurements will be different!
1. Rims have different backspacing
2. Rims are different widths
3. Frame to brake drum measurement is different from side to side(rear end is not centered, BIG PROBLEMS)
4. Body/fender lip measurements are different from side to side(MANY possibilities there!!)

Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2009 at 1:32PM
I used the spacer on the right rear and everything looks even now. Maybe one day I'll get the body shifted over, but for now...this is easy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 40>
  Share Topic