The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Uante's New '73

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 40>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2009 at 4:38PM
WOW thats cool!

Hey... in the second picture did the car get shorter behind the door to the wheel well?
I only ask because cannot see as much of it as we can in the first picture!
Big smile 

J/K
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2009 at 5:00PM
Originally posted by cowboyupdjcarl cowboyupdjcarl wrote:

WOW thats cool!

Hey... in the second picture did the car get shorter behind the door to the wheel well?
I only ask because cannot see as much of it as we can in the first picture!
Big smile 

J/K

Har Har!
Well in the first picture I weighed like 135 lbs! Sheesh. Ermm
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Panel Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2009 at 5:05PM
ya I understand.
ME TOO!
1987 joined the Army out of HS and weighed 176...
22 years later STILL in the Army, same height... 220!

This old age stuff is BS!

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Gregs72Sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregs72Sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2009 at 7:54PM
What a great picture. Good for you. Glad to see you got it done. That must have felt weird to stand there in the same spot with the same type car after all those years! Greg
2000 Ford Taurus

1972 Gran Torino Formal Roof
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2009 at 1:02AM
That's great!! Wish i could find some of my old pictures of the Torino. That was a good idea.
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,SVT LIGHTNING,07 CHARGER R/T HEMI,97 Mustang GT Vert

"Never complain Never explain"
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2009 at 2:34AM
Yeah it was weird driving around the old hood in a Torino. A lot of memories came back. The place has gotten a bit run down and I don't care for the new color scheme of the buildings plus there were barking dogs everywhere! Bark, Bark, Bark...Yap, Yap, Yap the whole time taking the pictures. Glad I don't live there anymore, but I wonder if I can take a picture there in another 30 years! btw, I think I might have tracked down where the old GF works (from the picture on the first page) I'm gonna go stalk...uh, I mean go see if it's her this Sunday!

Edited by Uante - 19-September-2009 at 2:37AM
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Panel Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
Gregs72Sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregs72Sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2009 at 6:23AM
I think that would be great to see her standing next to the new Torino! What a great collection of before and after pictures you will have. Now keep in mind if you paint this one white you will have to go and do all of the after pictures again. You may have to go stalking twice.....wink wink! Hey just do yourself a favor and keep this Torino so that you can do another picture in another 30 years. Greg
2000 Ford Taurus

1972 Gran Torino Formal Roof
twintornados View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2009 at 5:43AM
Nice Torino....my 1976 Montego MX is headed for the body shop today for a resto...can't wait til she is done.

About your rear tire alignment issues...did you check to see if you had any bent / worn rear suspension arms? Sounds like someone did a power slide right into a tall curb. It may be worth the check up. Get her into a good frame /alignment shop for a check up.

What ever became of the gal?
1974 Gran Torino Elite...gotta love them big Fords...
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2009 at 6:58AM
Originally posted by twintornados twintornados wrote:

Nice Torino....my 1976 Montego MX is headed for the body shop today for a resto...can't wait til she is done.

About your rear tire alignment issues...did you check to see if you had any bent / worn rear suspension arms? Sounds like someone did a power slide right into a tall curb. It may be worth the check up. Get her into a good frame /alignment shop for a check up.

What ever became of the gal?

Well I went to the Petsmart and not only was she working there, but so was her younger sister! That was a surprise. I hadn't seen my old GF since about 1983, but I had seen the younger sister around 1994. (The old GF's then husband wouldn't let her go out with the rest of us) Anyway, we had a good time talking...and she said she would take the picture when we could met at those old townhouses one day. It'll probably never happen, but it was great to see the two again.
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Panel Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2009 at 5:30AM
The New license plate finally got here...Sweet!

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Panel Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2009 at 5:36AM
Nice plate!  Great story!  You never know... Wink

~Chris
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2009 at 4:04PM
Kewl  kar, wow what a difference the wheels make.
What brand slots are they?? I just found a set of Slots locally on Craigs list and going to look at them tommorrow,but someone painted them black but if they are the size I want that don't matter as paint stripper and sand and polishing will bring them back like new.
I was gonna go with Torque Thrust's but after seeing your car I like the slots,good thing for me is I'm tubbing the car and getting a narrowed 9 in so the wide tires will all be under the car and not having to jack up the car but that old 70-80's look is sorta kewl also. I'm now kicking myself in the butt for ever getting rid of my other 73 torino as I pit on perfect rust free doors and front clip from a 74 Ranchero my uncle had with a rotted frame.I also installed the 351C from the Ranchero after adding cam,lifters,springs,pushrods Aluminum Ford Motorsport valve covers,Edelbrock 4 brl intake and a Carter AFB 600 cfm carb with headers it also got the perfect uncracked dash pad as the original car was cracked as most are.had a perfect rust free decklid and rear valance I got from a friend who had a
Stickshift and Clutch clone and got a set of used Keystone rims and tires but later got a set of 14 in Magnums with trim rings and BFG's new.I blew the C6 tranny and parked it and when I met my ex-wife I yanked the 351C which I still have since 93 when I junked the car. the Motor is getting refreshed and bigger compression pistons and a different cam and roller rocker this time so I can adjust the valves as the non adjustable valves and big cam wiped out a set of lifters and pushrods so I know that cam is toast as well.292 duration is too big without adjustability but I wasn't too big on Ford motors when I built it back in 91.

The bad part of the first car is the quartes were rotted and I sectioned in the quarters from the Ranchero but warped the panels with a torch as I braized them back then I didn't own a mig welder.Latter the quartes where falling apart from corrosion again and the rear floors needed replacing but the doors,front clip decklid and roof where all rust free and I should have kept the car and fixed it with the half quarters but like a dummy I junked it as I was moving and had no where to store the car and let the blown C6 go with it like a dummy as smalblock C6 are harder to find and could have had that tranny rebuilt latter,now I need to find another C6 as the 73 Gran Torino I just bought is another 302 and most likely a C4.

so your not the only guy with memories just mine arent of back in 79 as I just started freshman year in High school back then.

here is my current Torino and ProStreet Project car is a one owner car too bad the roof rotted so bad

Edited by 73 ProStreetTorino - 27-September-2009 at 4:15PM
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2009 at 4:37PM
sorry for sorta thread jacking
Your story is kewl and inspired me to write a little about my first 73 Torino I have photos of the old one but it was never as nice as your first one and  the girlfriend story was sorta amazing she is still around after all these years.
BTW where in Arizona are you?? as I lived in Benson,oustide Tuscan back in 92 and had my first Torino there,loved drag racing on I-10 as there was nothing around for miles outside town.Plus a friend of ours was a Border Patrol agent,hhehe and we would drag his patrol car against my Torino,shhh! well i guess it don't matter now that's almost ancient like i'm starting to feel.Me and a friend had a mechanic/bodyshop in Benson and I lived there for 6 months till our friendship ended over business problems or the fact he almost put me out of business so I moved back to Florida but I visited Boothill and the OK Coral before I left cause I had to see Tombstone atleast one time in my life,glad I did as I have never gotten back to AZ

Edited by 73 ProStreetTorino - 27-September-2009 at 4:41PM
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2009 at 4:50PM
Did you buy that car from North Carolina? I think I saw that one on ebay. Or one just like it. Or maybe it was craigslist...I don't remember.
Anyway, looks like you have a bit of a project ahead of you. I had a '69 Mustang once in worse shape than your Torino, and it took 14 months to restore it. I swore then I'd never do it again! lol
But it's hard to stay away.

The girl in the picture called Friday to go take the picture. Unfortunately I had to work. Maybe in two weeks I can meet up with her again and get that shot.

btw, I live in Gold Canyon Arizona. It's a suburb of Phoenix. Way out on the east side.

Edited by Uante - 27-September-2009 at 4:58PM
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Panel Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2009 at 5:14PM
yah that is the one from Ebay in NC, had 2 trailer tires go on me on the way back as the road was so hot the tires seperated,now i'm gonna go with radial trailer tires as those bias ply Carlisle stink. The auction on Ebay was held be people who auction estate sales in NC and the owner died so I didn't get any old paperwork which stinks as it was origianlly bought by the old lady back in 73,no trunk key either and the guy removed the back seat to unbolt the latch to get in it so I had to strap it shut as he lost the 2 bolts.I planned on a Prostreet so I didn't want to cut up a good car such as yours but really wish the roof wasn't so bad as I have to find a donor and graft another roof on the car and get the half quarter skins as the inside from the back looks worse then the outside so I want to get rid of all the rust. and like I said the trunk is getting replaced cause of the backhalving so I will build a new floor between the big tubs and around the aluminum fuel cell it will have.

You didn't mention about what brand your slots are or are they used??
I found some unilug slots for $50 locally but they have been painted black,who paints aluminum slots black?? oh well if i get them I can make them shine again with alot of work,LOL

I hope you get that old girlfriend photo as that would be kewl to have for the album and we all want to se how the years have treated her.

I have only been as west as Chandler to the Firebird Drag strip to see the NHRA event.
AZ was nice as it's dry heat and i never sweated the whole 6 months i was there but ofcoarse part was winter but summer was nice.Here in Florida with the humidity you sweat just standing still not doing anything and in the shade,LOL

Edited by 73 ProStreetTorino - 27-September-2009 at 5:17PM
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2009 at 5:27PM
oh I forgot to Mention I had a 70 Fasback Stang that the bottom was rusted but the sides and top were good and I was gonna ProStreet that one but had to sell it when I needed money to fuel my car restoration business.I painted a car for that Mustang and the guy bought the paint so it was just my labor for the trade but no way I would find another 70 fasback so I started looking at Torino's again figuring I could get one of those cheaper.I was hoping for a Sportroof but after F&F and Gran Torino movies the price has jumped on them,go figure and well the 74-76 went up with the Starsky and Hutch movie so the Torino's have gotten popular again.I know a girl who has 3 72 Sportroofs and just had the body and paint done on one and one of the others is a car she had for 15 years but opted to fix the parts car as it was in better shape she said.
 The other is a #'s matching CJ that needs to be retored,it has the deck spoiler and all the goodies from what i'm told but she wants too much for me as the car needs total resto but I'm wanting to check out the one she had for 15 years and maybe  get that one and have 2  Torino's,one formal roof ProStreet and one Sportroof done basically stock appearing

I work at a collision shop during the day but I still tinker and restore or customize cars on the side at my new shop,so after building and restoring many cars I wanted to build me a car for a change. now I have one to build,and hopefully another in the form of a Sportroof

Edited by 73 ProStreetTorino - 27-September-2009 at 5:33PM
twintornados View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2009 at 10:57PM
Wow, there are other guys bitten by that "Torino bug" too?? thought it was just me...lol. My second car was a 72 Gran Torino coupe and I was hooked. Bought my sisters 1976 Torino (base model) and promptly totaled it, got a '75...did a lot of mods to it culminating in yanking the 460/C6 combo from Dads '74 LTD prior to it heading to the scrap yard....several other Torinos and one Ranchero ('73) in that time frame...but alas...got away from them for close to 20 years as I went through marriage, kids, divorce, jobs....but I never forgot my Torino days and vowed to have one again...then the "Starsky & Hutch" and "Gran Torino" movies keep the Torino prices up there so I finally found my new ride, a 1976 Mercury Montego MX....all the Torino fun without the, "You oughta put a Starsky stripe on it dude..." (LOL) Love the way if you look at these cars (Montego) Mercury division actually encouraged the "Lincoln connection" with a Lincoln hood ornament, and the nose badge that reads, "Lincoln Mercury Division"....having fun in a more adult way with this car than I ever did with any of my Torinos' from my youth....maybe I will get a Torino as well someday.....ya never know...but I sure enjoy my Montego. 
1974 Gran Torino Elite...gotta love them big Fords...
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2009 at 4:20AM
Originally posted by twintornados twintornados wrote:

"You oughta put a Starsky stripe on it dude..." (LOL)

I don't know how many times I've heard that...I usually just roll my eyes in response. About the same as painting your Charger like the General Lee. Speaking of which, here's a somewhat interesting vid on youtube about the two cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BcHCcCNiFM

Also here's the Starsky and Hutch car in the first episode of Dukes of Hazard. Go to 3:30 to start where it's in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28IaG8z-E7M&feature=related

Oh and here's the S & H car getting messed up! Nice move by the bad guy in the Mustang though....again, go to 3:30 to see the wreck. (It's a slow day at work, lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2en-Ihaxn0&feature=related

Edited by Uante - 28-September-2009 at 7:51AM
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Panel Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2009 at 3:11PM
speaking of Dukes Of Hazard and Torino's
what the heck is this??LOL

Edited by 73 ProStreetTorino - 28-September-2009 at 3:13PM
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2009 at 3:13PM
It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown! 
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Panel Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 40>
  Share Topic