The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Uante's New '73

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 37383940>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2016 at 12:48PM
The 73 hood is gone. Sold it to a guy who has a 74 Gran Torino which is set up for drag racing. He needed it to make a mold so he could make a fiberglass hood. I told him about this site since he was talking about finding parts, but we'll see if he shows up.

Still have the cut out scoop from the 72 hood if someone wants it to make a 73+ franken-hood Approve

Edited by Uante - 05-August-2016 at 12:51PM
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Panel Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2016 at 1:13PM
you got pics??
74 gts 460/auto with factory sunroof
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2016 at 1:22PM
how is the subframe structure on the inside of the 72 hood? how much would you be wanting for the hood? i just bought a 72 gts hood for a couple hundred bucks(shipping included) but the sub frame structure is rotted out and for the detail of the grafting that i intend on having done with it, i need the substructure to be in the same shape as the hood skin.
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2016 at 2:37PM
The hood piece is in great shape. No rust or dents. I'll get some detailrd pictures for you.
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Panel Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2016 at 2:55PM
what kind of price are you wanting for it?
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2016 at 3:05PM
do you have any pictures of the underside of your hood? i would like to see how and where it was grafted together. i see one on here in a different thread, where the pics were very well detailed,but it is the only one that i have seen done and with some form of detail on how it was done.
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2016 at 3:53PM
so you sold the hood and keeping the car, right?Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2016 at 3:56PM
I got more pictures of the 72 hood section. I'll resize them tonight.

Anyway, there is a couple of threads with the hood conversion on here. There's mine which starts on page 9 of my thread and one older one then mine that I went by(can't recall whose, it's been years) ...and later, someone else did a hood but in a different way. His way was probably better? Don't know, but it's too late, this hood has already been sectioned and would have to be done the way I did it.

I don't want much for the section. $40? It weights about 20 lbs I'm guessing and would be a trick to package and ship, but better than shipping a whole hood.
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Panel Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2016 at 4:08PM
im looking for the pics of how you did yours. i saw the one that "eliteman 76" did in the pics thread, i havent seen any others with details or photos of how it was done. i want to see how the underhood structure was mated on yours. i want to do the same thing, but i want it done in a manner that it looks almost original, or factory, as professional as possible without looking like it was spliced or chopped up badly.
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2016 at 5:20PM

Here's pictures of the bottom substructure welded in and primer. It's painted black now and you have to look hard for the welds when the hood is lifted. These are pictures from page 10 of my thread
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Panel Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
Skinnys Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Skinnys Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2016 at 5:30PM
Pages 3 and 4 of my project thread have a few pics also. http://forum.grantorinosport.org/skinnys-73_topic3167.html
Scott -'73 Gran Torino Brougham

Past Torino's -'73 Q-code GTS, '76 Original PS-122 S&H, '73 H-code GTS, '73 Ranchero
        '71 Cobra 351 Auto, '70 351C Brougham 2dr HT, '71 351C Ranchero
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2016 at 6:31PM
i just saw your hood work, and yes, thats how i want mine to look, just as yours looks, like its factory. i am wanting this for my 74, i dont have that kind of skill or ability to do what you did, so i would be stuck paying a local body guy here to try attempting it, and nobody ive found so far has done one prior to me. with what you have and what it would take to do this again, would you be willing to do another hood and come up with a figure that i could pay you for your work and effort? i can either ship my original hood to you, or look for a local hood from a 74 torino and pay for it if found there.

the only thing i am semi concerned with, is how thick do you think your body filler was at final stage before paint? i am wanting my car to be a daily driver, so i know that it would have to withstand a lot more heat and elements, than your car experiences.

i wish i could find someone who has done lead work, because i would love to have lead used or at the very least, fiberglass (gorilla hair) used instead of bondo. since i am redoing a vinyl top covered car, i am also looking to have lead done to my rear quarter roof seams, so that i never have to worry about it cracking again, specially after i have the line-x treatment done to my roof.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2016 at 3:51AM
FWIW hoods don't ship well

it's just Torino Surgery, you can do it!
72 GT Ute

Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2016 at 4:34AM
Here's better pictures of the Hood section. I originally got the extra hoods to do this project all by myself after watching the guy help me with the one that got done in my thread. Only that never happened because of time and I never taught myself how to weld.

So I'm afraid I can't help you create a hood for yourself. I got lucky doing mine because the guy across the street at the time was an out of work body guy itching to have something to do! lol.

I still don't think it would be that hard, but you have to practice a lot welding first.
Anyway, Here's the pictures and yes I'm keeping the my Torino for now. I'll post some pictures of my dash replacement later this weekend...yes I finally got around to that!

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Panel Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
torinojon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinojon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2016 at 4:37AM
hi Uante.if that other guy dont take it i like to get it from you.im in az.torinojon with the parts. 
http://forum.grantorinosport.org/uploads/3190/marti5.jpg
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2016 at 5:41AM
that's a smokin' deal! brent why didn't you sell this back when i was doing mine LOL i would have been all over that, hell i paid $250 for a pos hood to cut up Confused
  glad to hear you're keeping your car Clap
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2016 at 7:07AM
Originally posted by Uante Uante wrote:

I still don't think it would be that hard, but you have to practice a lot welding first.
it's not, I'd estimate about 5 mins with the extra metal from the donor hood. basically just set the machine at the lowest setting & start there. turn it up & get the volts / wire speed balanced until it's too hot then go back to where you're safe
all you're gonna be doing is small tacks, not multi pass structural with dual-shield LOL

72 GT Ute

gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2016 at 8:07AM
yeah, i will definitely take the section from you. how/what form of payment is good for you? im not afraid of the welding, im a welder by trade, but i dont have the means or ability to do it at home, not to mention, i always feel more secure when someone who has done it before already knows what to do and what not to do from prior experience....of which i do not have either. unless there is someone out there who has previously done this and would like to earn a few bucks doing another one, i will more than likely have a local body shop do it than.

who do you use to ship it and how do you ship it? when i had this hood that i have here shipped to me, i used greyhound. the entire hood only cost me 135 dollars to ship it from chattanooga tn to davenport ia.
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2016 at 9:59AM
ive been going through your thread from page one and watching how youve progressed with your car. in reference to the springs that you replaced your original ones with, i bought a complete set, front and back of replacement springs for my torino, and for the back springs, i went for the heaviest duty springs i could get for a torino station wagon from autozone. i havent put them in yet, but i was curious as to if your springs were oem replacements, or a custom fit for a specified purpose than to have stock riding performance??

Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2016 at 7:35AM
Originally posted by gnrlee01 gnrlee01 wrote:

ive been going through your thread from page one and watching how youve progressed with your car. in reference to the springs that you replaced your original ones with, i bought a complete set, front and back of replacement springs for my torino, and for the back springs, i went for the heaviest duty springs i could get for a torino station wagon from autozone. i havent put them in yet, but i was curious as to if your springs were oem replacements, or a custom fit for a specified purpose than to have stock riding performance??

It's been a long time ago with the springs, but I believe everything I got was what was recommended for a stock replacement ride performance. There were some differences from the original springs, but I don't think an exact replacement is available. The rear springs were shorter but stiffer and the front springs I had to have them but half a coil out because the car sat too high.

The ride is pretty good but stiffer than with the originals. It's really only noticeable driving over larger bumps and dips.

btw Let me know about the '72 hood scoop segment as soon as you can, I have someone local who is interested in it. Thanks
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Panel Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 37383940>
  Share Topic