The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under Dash Wiring Debauchary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2017 at 9:43AM
That's weird that it is missing.  I would think all Torinos should have had this switch and wiring.  Maybe it was removed/broke and was replaced with that aftermarket setup.

If you do want to add it back in, it shouldn't be much work.  You'd just need a 12 volts switched power supply to a light socket, then the ground from the socket to lead to the parking brake switch to ground.  I am not sure how hard that switch would be to find, but maybe one of the guys on here would have one from a parts car.  You might even be able to get the wiring too if you really want it to match the factory setup.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2017 at 4:10PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

That's weird that it is missing. I would think all Torinos should have had this switch and wiring. Maybe it was removed/broke and was replaced with that aftermarket setup

That's why I was hoping to determine if it was a separate harness or wired into the main harness. Even cutting my harness open I couldn't seem to find the correct wires.

Edited by lynchster - 03-April-2017 at 4:10PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
91 F-150
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2017 at 12:39PM
I double checked the wiring diagram.  It looks like the white/purple wire is also used for the seat belt warning system as well.  It looks like there is a connector, then a splice.  The white purple wire divides three ways, one to the seatbelt warning switch, one to the seatbelt warning light and one to the parking brake warning light.  So you might have some luck now, since we know where the wire originates. And it definitely is not part of the dash harness.  If not, at least it'd be easy enough to add another wire off this circuit to add in the parking light,

I also checked the circuit legend on the diagram and it shows the wire that leads from the parking brake warning light to the foot pedal switch is supposed to be light green with red dot.  So, I guess that wire in my car is light green not gray.  It's must have faded a bit with time and I had poor lighting when I checked out those wires for you.

Hope this helps.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic