The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Upgrading to bucket seats what have you guys done?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrading to bucket seats what have you guys done?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrading to bucket seats what have you guys done?
    Posted: 31-July-2017 at 1:51PM
Looking to upgrade '72 GTS from bench to bucket seats. Looking for something comfortable that may also look somewhat stock to the untrained eye. What have you done? Are the stock '72 buckets comfortable if I take them to a good upholstery shop? How about a later model seat? Or is there an aftermarket modern seat that doesn't look too "modern". Your thoughts please!  
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2017 at 2:03PM
Right now, I'm putting 2010 Mustang seats in my 73. The new Mustang seats are made to look old school, but also have 6 way power and seat heaters (if you need them). 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2017 at 3:10PM
77-79 Tbird, Cougar, and LTD II bucket seats aren't too hard to find, and bolt right in.  Not sure on comfort though.  If you're looking for something very comfortable, then you probably want something more modern.
Jeff

76 Mercury Montego MX Villager w/ 460
79 Ford Thunderbird w/ T-tops
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2017 at 5:59PM
I went with a hi-back bucket seat made by pro-car. I mounted the factory tracks on the pro car seat so the seat would go all the way back, almost touching the rear seat. Now I have plenty of leg room. I think I bought them from summit racing

Edited by 72GTS351CJ - 31-July-2017 at 6:00PM
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2017 at 12:38AM
Originally posted by 72GTS351CJ 72GTS351CJ wrote:

I went with a hi-back bucket seat made by pro-car. I mounted the factory tracks on the pro car seat so the seat would go all the way back, almost touching the rear seat. Now I have plenty of leg room. I think I bought them from summit racing

Joe (unlovedford) has pro-car buckets in his '72, Bruiser, with the rear seat covered to match.  They look great.  Maybe he'll chime in on the comfort aspect.
Jeff

76 Mercury Montego MX Villager w/ 460
79 Ford Thunderbird w/ T-tops
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2017 at 11:01AM
I put 73 Torino buckets in my 79 T-bird. They are reasonably comfortable, but I would like them better if they had a tilt-able back like a newer car.
if you get another set of seat tracks, you can shorten the crosswire and use that as well as your original set to mount the buckets. I don't know about the older cars, but almost every 77-79 I have seen has the captured nuts already installed on the seat cross-support under the carpet.
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2017 at 12:24PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2017 at 12:25PM
Very comfortable in my opinion. They recline back and give good support
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2017 at 5:28PM
Thank you for the pictures. This really shows the Procar solution. Looks very tempting!!

They look comfortable and supportive.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic