The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl roof/pitting repair and replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shuuga70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vinyl roof/pitting repair and replacement
    Posted: 11-October-2015 at 10:10AM
I have a 70 torino with a vinyl roof that was "bubbling" so I removed the vinyl and have some pitting and holes in the roof very small pinholes,about 5-10 total,I plan on reinstalling a vinyl roof,around the rear window in two top corner spots is in worse shape.my question is will the vinyl top cover any work I do,or should the top be in showroom shape to start. Thanks for any input
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2015 at 1:38PM
my 73 gts's vinyl roof had some bubbling under it.  i removed it completely on my restoration.  that was my plan all along.  the vinyl roof will hide some minor imperfections...  minor.  i was a little shocked at some of the imperfections that were hidden under mine.  
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2015 at 4:38PM
those bubbles are RUST! you'll need to cut out the rust and replace it with new metal, or sand blast the rust back to good metal (both sides) or it will rust back later...then you are back to where you are now Thumbs Down 
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Shuuga70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shuuga70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2015 at 6:49PM
Next ques.? Was should I use wire wheel/sandpaper and bondo,or a sandblaster and welder?
 Post Reply Post Reply