The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Was there a C-code 1970 Cyclone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WerbyFord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Was there a C-code 1970 Cyclone?
    Posted: 15-November-2020 at 2:47PM
I thought I knew everything basic about these cars but I guess not.

The Ford 429 lineup is complicate enough, but now comes Mercury!

My basic question is this:
Was there a C-Code (429CJ or 429SCJ, NON-Ram-Air) option on the 1970 Cyclones and which ones?

It would be obvious from the VIN number I think and since that doesnt change hopefully, should be an easy question to nail down.

As I understand it:
Cyclone: Came with 429/360 TJ N-code, flat hood, but other engines optional. Was the non-ram-air C-code optional? Was a non-ram-air 429SCJ (Drag Pak) C-code optional?

Cyclone Spoiler: Standard was 429/370CJ J-code ram-air, so my guess is that ALL Spoilers had ram-air J-code engines, either 429CJ or 429SCJ. Does that sound right?

Cyclone GT: Standard was 351c/250-2v, scoop hood but scoop blocked off. Options went all the way up, but again, could you get a GT with C-code 429CJ or C-code 429SCJ?

I'm looking into the NHRA history of these cars, and NHRA "factored" the C-code and J-code differently, so that's why I need to know.
Thanks for any replies!Smile
J Moore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Moore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2020 at 12:51AM
J Moore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Moore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2020 at 12:55AM
J Moore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Moore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2020 at 1:08AM
The way I read it, the Cyclone in the 428 days, had model designation "Cyclone CJ'. In 1970 Mercury dropped the CJ nomenclature and used Spoiler for HiPO versions. Both links reference the 429 available in CJ and SCJ options for 1970.  Boss 429 also available, probably to cover NASCAR homologation requirements.   I've never paid much attention to Cyclones, so this is all new to me.  Interesting and intriguing question asked by you. Thanks for that !    J.   PS I  just remembered a friend who has a Cyclone with a 429CJ. I'm not sure of the model year, but I'm going to ask.  Will let you know.   J.
gregaba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gregaba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2020 at 1:23AM
Worked for a Ford- Lincoln dealership in 70's and the ram air was a option.
The dealers did not want to sell one without the RA because they made a good profit on it so when they made the yearly pre sales orders in September they would load them down with options.
The dealer I worked for ordered 12 of them before the yearly release and all of them had the RA option.
The ones without the RA option were special orders that people would order when they came to the shop or a dealer might order 1 or 2 of them.
We did not sell many of them because when people came and there was 10 or 12 cars they could drive home right now they didn't want to wait the 6 to 8 weeks for a special order to come in.
We did have 2 guys come in who order a striped down 70 with no options and I saw some of these street race and they were fast.
Fun Days.
Greg
Greg
J Moore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Moore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2020 at 1:24AM
Ok  just called friend with Cyclone. It is a 1970 C code 429CJ. It originally had RamAir but the air cleaner assembly is long gone.  Has hood scoops tho.   He is out of town for the rest of the week, but when he returns home I can go get pics of it if you want.   J 
WerbyFord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WerbyFord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2020 at 3:10AM
Originally posted by J Moore J Moore wrote:

Have you seen this ?      https://horsepowermemories.com/2015/03/30/1968-1972-mercury-cyclone/

I hadnt seen that link. Thanks!
The white 68 Cyclone with the gal in the cowboy hat and the cat about to pee on the tire is from an ad in late 1967. The text says:

"The golden girl in our picture ordered her Cyclone GT wiht a 4-stack 427 Cu in V8".

I'm sure she did!
But the car came to her with a 390 under the hood - you can see the 390 tags on the fender in the bigger ad.
No record of any assembly-line 1968 427 Fairlanes or Cyclones or Mustangs - just Cougars.
So if you ordered a 427 early, you got a 390. 

Likewise the Boss 429 - current info says they were Mustang only.

I dont know why FoMoCo did that. 
Why not put the NASCAR engine in the NASCAR body? 
The 1968 hydraulic 427 and the Boss 429 weren't dragstrip winners anyway, so why not put them in the NASCAR body. My dad and I used to listen to NASCAR on the radio every weekend (most were NOT on TV back then) - I be he would've bought one!

For sure, the 428CJ and then the 429SCJ were the hot setups anyway.
WerbyFord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WerbyFord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2020 at 3:18AM

Ok  just called friend with Cyclone. It is a 1970 C code 429CJ. It originally had RamAir but the air cleaner assembly is long gone.  Has hood scoops tho.   He is out of town for the rest of the week, but when he returns home I can go get pics of it if you want.   J 

Hey that would be great! Pics would help too.

If it was a "C" in the VIN, that would answer the question right there - those were non-ram-air.
C= non-ram-air (429CJ or 429SCJ)
J= ram-air (429CJ or 429SCJ)
The 429SCJ didnt have its own VIN letter, it was just the "drag pak" $155 was a LITTLE steep for a gear (but actually not bad if you got a Detroit Locker along with it).
And then you got the 429SCJ engine for free!

Reason I'm asking about the C-Code:

In 1970, the following cars were a good fit in NHRA:
9.02 W/P 70 Cobra 429SCJ J=ramair, factored at 425hp (kinda high) in E/S=9.00 class
9.55 W/P 70 Cyclone 429SCJ C=non-ramaair, factored at 395hp in F/S=9.50 class

The cyclone C-code has the best potential (30 extra factored hp is too much, makes J=ram-air not "worth it"), but that depends on there being a C-code Cyclone option.

Actually, the Torino Brougham 4-door 429SCJ has the same shipping weight as the Cyclone so that would make a good NHRA car for F/S=9.50 as well. But I bet THOSE were rare.

Edited by WerbyFord - 19-November-2020 at 4:09AM
Spoiler71 View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoiler71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2023 at 2:20AM
Originally posted by WerbyFord WerbyFord wrote:

Hey that would be great! Pics would help too.

If it was a "C" in the VIN, that would answer the question right there - those were non-ram-air.
C= non-ram-air (429CJ or 429SCJ)
J= ram-air (429CJ or 429SCJ)
The 429SCJ didnt have its own VIN letter, it was just the "drag pak" $155 was a LITTLE steep for a gear (but actually not bad if you got a Detroit Locker along with it).
And then you got the 429SCJ engine for free!

While true for a Ford this is not accurate for a Mercury...

Every 1970 Cyclone Spoiler had Ram Air, all had C in the vin.

In 1971 the C vs J was a thing because Ram Air became optional with the CJ. 

For the Base and GT cars, Ram Air was an option but it still didn't change the vin for 1970. 
 Post Reply Post Reply