The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to Project "Double Trouble"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blindrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welcome to Project "Double Trouble"
    Posted: 26-May-2012 at 8:48PM
As some of you have seen my current project the 73 fastback. Well, I just got back from unloading a 73 formal that I picked up. So now I have a 73 fastback date of 06/73 and a 73 formal with date code of 02/73. Both Canadian cars and the formal turned out to have a 351w and FMX transmission same as my fastback. the trunk is solid; the drain/seal lip is not rotted. the only main rot is rear quarters above drivers rear, behind both rear tires at bottom, on roof pillar by rear glass, and a dime size rust on drivers rocker. as you will see below.

The guy I had picked it up from stated that it had only sat for 5 years. Well, the tags on the car and registration showed that it hadn't been registered since 1994. I don't know we tried to get it to turn over but the motor was stuck. Try again tomorrow. 

As I can't afford to take both projects on at the same time. The formal will just have to wait. here's some pics  

just loaded up coming home.

yeah, its angry...

had to use my nice wheels to roll it off of the trailer.

also had to remove drivers rear brake drum as it was seized and wouldn't turn.

one bonus is I have all four original hubcaps and all the trim pieces are present and in great shape.
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2012 at 12:32AM

that car must have been a pita to load as an inop/with frozen brakes!My wife would have my head if I brought home another project before the first one was completed,Lol.good luckwith them both,keep the pix flowing

John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2012 at 1:19AM
I am a man of too many projects. My wife tries to get me to finish one at a time but it is to no avail. My new idea is to start buying them already together. Good luck with your new ride.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2012 at 2:03AM
Great buy!
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1971 Maverick 2 Door
1994 Mark VIII
Retired 60s NHRA Anglia
blindrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blindrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2012 at 8:27AM
oh yeah, it sure was "a PAIN". it took about 2 hrs to get the frozen drum off the wheel without breaking it.

not only was I trouble with another project, but was in double with the wife. Hence the name. Ha!

that was until I told her one could be all hers... she chose the fastback!

I'm actually going to use the better parts such as whole front clip (minus the NOSE) to assist in the FB project. Then for the Formal as it is somewhat basic. I will be selling / trading parts that I don't plan on using. such as all the trim on lower sides of car and split bench seat. This will allow me to save a ton of work on one project at least.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2012 at 9:12AM
looks like you will have to ask the wife to take you for a cruise when you finish the GTS as your formal won't be done,LOL
is the FB that ruff that you need to swap the clip from the formal?it looked good in the photo's of the other thread

these cars are popping up more and more and seem to be getting more popular to restore
not sure if it's from the movie exposure or what
I can say I have been a fan since 1985 when I saw my first 72 GTS and got to do the color change paint job on it.It was wrecked in the front and it took a few months for to find a rust free 72 Sport front clip and sat in the yard of the bodyshop I first worked at as a Painter.

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 27-May-2012 at 9:19AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blindrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2012 at 1:58PM
Yeah, I just might have to, but that's ok as she is just as big of fan as I am. 

Yes the FB is rough... can't see it, but the wheel lip is rotted out as is the inner fender. As stated before the P.O. just caked in the fiberglass filler. Also on the FB the under side is the kind of flaky rust. Will have to get pics of it compared to the Formal; as that one it seems more of just a slight surface non-flaky. If this makes much sense. Maybe it's the difference between the Iowa salt on the roads ( where the fastback spent it's life ) and the non-salted South Dakota roads ( where the Formal spent it's life ). The formal fenders show just slight surface rust but nothing like the FB.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blindrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2012 at 5:27PM

Well got a wild hair tonight and got some progress on the fastback done. 

I started with some NorAm patch panels that I picked up from a body shop that was closing in Omaha for $80. As you will see in the pics not very accurate and required quite a bit of work.

here is the panel I got this is the pass. side but both are of same making...

This is where I cut out the rot

the panel lines were WAY OFF!!! so I used the only the lower line and but welded just below the top line. keeping the warpage as little as possible with soooo much weld length. here's some more pictures of how it turned out so far

and here is one BIG problem with these panels...

this is the corner behind rear wheel it's soooooo SQUARE!!!! supposed to be um ROUND? That made it real fun. Oh well, what can you expect for going cheap.

I'll just have to see how well it finishes... just time and patience now
James Brummond

2000 excursion v10 gas saver
1985 mustang gt hatch
1973 GTS (still in progress)
1967 LTD 2door (next inline)
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2012 at 2:03AM
Looking great. Hey, for $80? You did very well,
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2012 at 1:24AM
Looks nice! I tried convinceing my girl she can have a muscle car but she not the most interested in them though. I told her the offer still stands, maybe once mines done she might change her mind. Thats awesome your wife likes them though! 
With the formal roof honestly, Id keep the trim and put two white stripes with pearl in the white right down the hood and the trunk lid. That would be a sharp ride.
ZC
2011 GMC Sierra Z71
73 Gran Torino H code (H is for HOTROD !!)
72 F code 4-Door

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blindrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2012 at 6:25AM
Been caught up on building a dump-flatbed for a customer and have not had much time. With the time I do have; I have been trying to unlock the engine in the formal. jump starting off my diesel truck only gets a solid THUNK and nothing more... turning the crank bolt with a breaker bar with all belts and accessories removed only tightens the bolt further or loosens it... two weeks ago I filled the crankcase with about 5 gallons of used motor oil and let it sit and every other day tried to jump it and with same results... THUNK... NOTHING. The other day I started to tear down the engine and found some interesting things...

first off I noticed that the radiator cap has been replaced by an aftermarket one (found original inside car), the coolant level was about half full, the thermostat looks to have been replaced. my assumption is that there must have been a cooling problem.

underside of valve covers show a thick baked on tar

taking apart passenger side exhaust manifold found it was cracked clean through

and the best part is the treat found inside

I have NEVER seen this ^^^ before. so as I went further. taking off the heads to find the cylinders that sat with the valves open were full of rust and pitted pretty bad. from first glance with how worn the cylinder walls are plus the pitting I'm guessing that not even a  .060 overbore could bring it back. 

On another note siphoned what was in the tank out... how long does fuel need to sit to become pitch black?
James Brummond

1985 mustang gt hatch
legend onirot View Drop Down
METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2012 at 7:09AM
wow.  just wow...

i use hand tools most of the time too.  i catch some ridicule too sometimes. 

also, my passenger side exhaust manifold was nearly cracked in half when i removed it. 
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2012 at 5:13PM
Wow.

The GEAR OIL they pulled from the Suburban's rear axle was lighter than that fuel!!!
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2012 at 6:43PM
James- I don't know if it will work, but I have a 74 header piece if you want it, saw it up in the shed and have had no takers.

Also, have had something kicking around regarding our discussion about the roof.
Call me some time to discuss.
Andrew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blindrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2012 at 4:31PM
Well it has been a while but I have not forgotten. Just been lost in the garage for a while.

Since my last post I have my fastback down to the frame just about. I also ended up buying a 73 code 302 and stripped it down to rebuild while using my 73 351w heads. Just so I could get the formal up and rolling in the meantime.

Got the formal engine all set, wired for Duraspark II ignition, long tube heddman headers, and a rebuilt Holley 4412 on top. Runs and drives awesome!!! It actually has a posi rear and OH MY how it loves to go.

And yes that is the formal original header panel. Amazing what a little time and body hammers n dollies can help. Sometimes I enjoy the challenge to keep abilities in check.

I'll definitely try and get some more pictures up tomorrow.

James Brummond

1985 mustang gt hatch
SininenIII View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SininenIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2012 at 8:44AM
Excellent work on hammering&dollying that header panelThumbs Up
Aatu
73 Gran Torino Sport
http://public.fotki.com/Granaatu/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blindrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2012 at 6:37PM
Ok, spent some time repairing rot spots in the formal roof. cutting and welding patches but, first I had to remove all the surface rust, paint, and glue. took forever sanding until I tried this...

1. laid paper towels over the area ( a couple layers ) I wanted to effect.

2. then I poured white vinegar on the towels making sure they are completely wet.

3. let sit on area overnight 

in the morning the towels had turned rusty colored and to my surprise when I pulled up the towels it was mostly clean metal underneath. When it was left to dry it left an orange tint to the metal ( flash rust which easily washed off ). Then what was left only took about 5 minutes of sanding with 80 grit and the whole area was clean. I then treated all pitting with phosphoric acid and laid a good layer of primer sealer.

I only did this as a trial; As I really wasn't expecting to re-use the roof on this car and figured " why not try out some rust removal / convert / seal tactics."

This is a picture of the difference that vinegar gave

Here's next to the rear window I had about a 2" rot hole 

I decided to fill the holes that held the trim around the vinyl top. I used heads of nails tacked in. which gave something to hold onto. Then I cut and smoothed out with a 3" wheel.

so far so well... just to seal, protect, and keep me dry while I drive it for now. 
James Brummond

1985 mustang gt hatch
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2012 at 11:19PM
That is an AWESOME hint. Thanks!
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blindrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2012 at 4:36PM
So, I picked up a set of new tires and rims for the formal today. Front is a 235-60-15 and rear is a 275-60-15. I'll have to get some pictures up. The rears seem pretty tight but clear ok for now. I would still like to see about replacing the rear springs with something a little taller and stiffer?
James Brummond

1985 mustang gt hatch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blindrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2013 at 5:23PM
I know it's been a while but I finally have some pictures to show.

here is how my formal is sitting currently.

James Brummond

1985 mustang gt hatch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic