The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Windshield wipers don't return to rest position
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windshield wipers don't return to rest position

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windshield wipers don't return to rest position
    Posted: 09-August-2019 at 1:26PM
So, I picked up this 72 Gran Torino last week. I've had lots of old cars but I've never run into this problem before. When I use the wipers and turn the switch off, they don't return to the rest position. They just stop in whatever position they're in when I turn the switch off. Even when I try to time it just right to get them out of the field of view by turning them off at the lowest point, they still remain about 6 inches higher than the rest position. The switch seems to work fine, so I don't think that's the issue. Where they're aligned on the splines seems right because they don't sweep too far to the left. Will this require a wiper motor replacement, or is there something else I should be looking at? I'm going to be handing the car over to the Mrs for her spring to fall daily driver, and I know she's going to provide me with an earful if I don't figure this out sooner than later. Any advise?
I'll take a classic car over modern junk any day.
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2019 at 3:48PM
This thread could probably help: http://forum.grantorinosport.org/wiper-park-function-not-working_topic5453.html

A common problem. 
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
 Post Reply Post Reply